HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Taiwan

Old Posted Aug 8, 2006, 11:22 PM

i found a pic of the stadium model. that tail sure is long.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2006, 3:43 PM
Bamboo Tiger

Construction photo of the new Taichung Baseball Stadium. It will be one of the sites for the 2006 Intercontinental Cup which begins on Thursday.

Intercontinental Cup - Taiwan, Cuba, Australia, Italy, Netherlands, Japan, South Korea
Philippines

Last edited by Coyett; Nov 7, 2006 at 4:22 PM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2006, 8:30 PM

Wow that looks nice, I used to drive past it this summer when i was going from 豐原 to 台中, they sure built that thing in a hurry.

Any update on the Kaohisung stadium and Taipei Dome?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2006, 8:16 PM

Does Taiwan really need big stadiums like this?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2006, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linlueyfu
Ever city that has a population over 2 million should have at least some major stadiums to host events.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2006, 5:03 AM
Bamboo Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by linlueyfu
The Taichung baseball stadium will only have a capacity of 15,000 - 20,000 seats and was relatively inexpensive to construct at a cost of NT$600,000,000 (US$20 million). As I'm sure you know, baseball is quite popular here. Tickets for the upcoming match between Taiwan and Korea sold out in less than three hours.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2006, 6:38 PM

they should put luxury boxes into that stadium. it will help to increase revenue for the stadium to cover expenses.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2006, 7:08 PM
Bamboo Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razqal
they should put luxury boxes into that stadium. it will help to increase revenue for the stadium to cover expenses.
You would never generate enough interest from corporate Taiwan to make it profitable. Taiwanese companies invest in baseball to make money not entertain clients. A night out with customers on this island is still limited to ktv machines and prostitutes.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2006, 7:38 AM
Utopia Society

^
knock knock... keen to offer more insight? i better get another job then... my company doesnt do any of the forementioned practices. it would certainly be interesting to check out the latter. i wonder where are the prostitutes from? mainland? or...?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2006, 4:23 PM
Bamboo Tiger

I'm refering to the ktv "clubs" that dominate nightlife outside of Taipei. Many salemen from smaller trading companies often end up in these type of establishments by the end of the evening. Perhaps it's a bit unfair insinuating that all of the women that work this scene are prostitutes, but from what I have witnessed it seems that given enough money almost any deal can be arranged. For some reason they seem especially popular in Taichung and Jhongli.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 3:53 PM
Bamboo Tiger

Night shot of Taichung Stadium

IBAF© 2006

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 4:51 PM

did you guys notice that they painted those two long structural arcs whatever-you-call-them RED insted of white! i hope it's just temporary cuz i can't picture white canopies with those red arcs. i notice taiwanese seem to like red alot - like alot of the bridges are red, red cables on bridges, red temples. must be a chinese cultural thing.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 2:20 PM
Bamboo Tiger

Taipei City Stadium, 2009

Current condition

Future

Last edited by Coyett; Feb 3, 2007 at 12:10 AM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiwan ren View Post

that's a small space for 2 stadiums and a track. looks cramped.

i hope they don't paint that white support structure RED. i hope...i hope...i hope...

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 9:18 PM

what is the dome on the side of taipei stadium?
it's not the taipei arena right cuz that's supposed to be farther east?

before i was hoping that this is only a temp structure (for the stadium)
cuz the capacity is so small, and the strcture looks cheap from the side
but looking at the cramped space, it seems that a future expansion is unlikely...

why can't we use that space only for one international standard stadium and move other stuffs to guandu? this thing will not help at all when we bid for the olympics in the future

and as the deaflympics is approaching, are we going to boost up our zhongshan soccer field prior to that?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 5:29 PM
Bamboo Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountsac View Post
what is the dome on the side of taipei stadium?
it's not the taipei arena right cuz that's supposed to be farther east?
It's Taipei Arena.

Quote:
before i was hoping that this is only a temp structure (for the stadium)
cuz the capacity is so small, and the strcture looks cheap from the side
but looking at the cramped space, it seems that a future expansion is unlikely...
This will be the main stadium for the 2009 Deaflympics. Expansion isn't required as neither field sports nor athletics are popular in Taiwan.

Quote:
why can't we use that space only for one international standard stadium and move other stuffs to guandu? this thing will not help at all when we bid for the olympics in the future.
Taipei has absolutely no hope of ever hosting the Olympics. In the past, and I expect into the future, the PRC will make sure that Taipei fails at all attempts to host international sporting events of any significance. The city doesn't need an "international" stadium because it will never be used.

Quote:
and as the deaflympics is approaching, are we going to boost up our zhongshan soccer field prior to that?
There is a BOT proposal in the works to renovate the stadium, but thus far no deals have been signed.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 7:14 PM

politics is an important factor. but even with that factor, i think there is a number of international events taipei can bid for other than the summer olympics. the world games that kaoshiong is hosting, and the Universiade it was attempting to bid are two examples. the special olympics is another one. the reason our new stadium has a small capacity is probably because the deaflympics doesn't attract many people (kaoshiong's stadium, on other hand, has a bigger capacity, and it looks amazing!).

while a lack of popularity of track and field in taiwan offers an economic reason, it seems to lack foresight, which is also shown in other stalled infrastructure projects on the island (such as projects that will help the east coast or mass trasit systems in cities other than taipei and kaoshiong). we are always catching up with demand rather than acticiapting and generating it. there are things we can do to bring traffic and consumption to the countryside, and there are also things we can do to stimulate sports that taiwanese are not watching now or/and are not good at.

i don't wanna sound like i'm arguing, cuz i'm not. i totally agree that conservative economic planning is a valid option for urban planning. i'm just hoping there will be more pro-active (sometimes risk-taking) measures taken by the gov. in some development. maybe i'm just bitching cuz i wanna see more skyscrapers and bigger (AND better looking) stadium

Last edited by mountsac; Feb 8, 2007 at 8:26 PM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2007, 11:36 PM

Taiwan's not exactly the best place to build skyscrappers as you know it's located in a very active earthquake region.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 1:37 PM

i found this pic of a stadium construction in kaohsiung. is it kaohsiung arena?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 6:36 AM
Bamboo Tiger

Taipei Dome
Quote:
Originally Posted by duabi View Post
I think there is height limit in the area because of Sungshan Airport. Some part of the stadium has to be lower than the ground level just to reduce the height of the roof...

well...unless the regulation being changed or the airport moved, I don't think the towers will be taller than the roof of the stadium?

I've got a recent rendering (7/3) up in the project thread that includes towers in the 125-150m range. The height limit must have been increased.

Razqal, that indeed is the Kaohsiung Arena.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Taiwan