HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 3:29 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIllinoisan View Post
Im not sure about you, but I personally have never seen an office park with heavy public transit within (or, in this case, under) it. Furthermore, I cant think of any suburban developments with road connections to its surroundings, as is the case with this. This development could definitely use a couple infrastructure refinements, but overall it is very well integrated with existing infrastructure.

If this is an office park, then what is Chicago south of Polk, north of 18th, east of Clark, and west of State? In my opinion theyre enormous tracts of underutilized land that shouldve followed this developments guidelines. To a cross degree at least...
Canary Wharf? This shares at least some aspects with Canary Wharf, which is practically the entire reason the DLR exists.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
Is this not just the evolution of corporate office park meets urban infill?
you're right, this is just like a suburban office park except Lasalle Street isn't 6 lanes, and residential buildings, parks, and plazas will replace what would be surface lots. So were you saying this is an issue? my only critique is that i wish the buildings themselves would be mixed use so every building and area would be lively with different people throughout the day, rather than a small scale flow of people from the residential towers to the offices then back. but also I don't think we've seen a final land/ tower use plan? Probably because each development will be built according to the current market demands.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIllinoisan View Post
Im not sure about you, but I personally have never seen an office park with heavy public transit within (or, in this case, under) it. Furthermore, I cant think of any suburban developments with road connections to its surroundings, as is the case with this. This development could definitely use a couple infrastructure refinements, but overall it is very well integrated with existing infrastructure.

If this is an office park, then what is Chicago south of Polk, north of 18th, east of Clark, and west of State? In my opinion theyre enormous tracts of underutilized land that shouldve followed this developments guidelines. To a cross degree at least...
Check out the northern Atlanta metro. They have exactly what you just described.

On a side note...

I used to be very DESTROY the Dearborn developments. However, I started taking my dog through them on regular walks and I am actually really impressed with them(well, the southern part). SO many kids running around and families everywhere walking around. Like, if I had a family and wanted to live in the city I could see how the area would be so attractive.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 2:22 AM

New renderings and Info:

https://www.78chicago.com/lease-offi...e/the-78-north

The tallest tower in phase 1 is 230 Meters, and the shortest is 69 Meters.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCres View Post
New renderings and Info:

https://www.78chicago.com/lease-offi...e/the-78-north

The tallest tower in phase 1 is 230 Meters, and the shortest is 69 Meters.
Holy fuck! A 750 footer in Phase 1. I'll take it. I love the ambition!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 8:08 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMWChicago View Post
Holy fuck! A 750 footer in Phase 1. I'll take it. I love the ambition!
The renderings look great. And like you said, a good tower to push the skyline further south.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 5:35 PM

It looks like Phase I will cover the portion from Roosevelt to 14th St, with the DPI being just south of that. It's gonna be kinda funny seeing +500' buildings cover Dearborn Park in shadows

Source: https://www.78chicago.com/lease-offi...e/the-78-north

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
It looks like Phase I will cover the portion from Roosevelt to 14th St, with the DPI being just south of that. It's gonna be kinda funny seeing +500' buildings cover Dearborn Park in shadows

Source: https://www.78chicago.com/lease-offi...e/the-78-north
this phase is going to be so exciting to watch. it looks like the building that is between the gateway towers and the riverfront innovation office is around 600 feet?

also, just to clarify... the DPI building/15th st cta station will be built the same time as phase one?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshoredrive View Post
this phase is going to be so exciting to watch. it looks like the building that is between the gateway towers and the riverfront innovation office is around 600 feet?

also, just to clarify... the DPI building/15th st cta station will be built the same time as phase one?
The DPI is a part of Phase I and will open in 2024. The 15th St station will be built at a later phase, hopefully not much later

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
The DPI is a part of Phase I and will open in 2024. The 15th St station will be built at a later phase, hopefully not much later
Interesting, the latest renderings I've seen show the DPI south end of the "Parkside HQ." Do we think the crescent park going to be built in two phases?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 9:30 PM
DENNAB

This is really exciting, I wonder when we'll start seeing construction activity. I couldn't find that in the article.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 9:51 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Interesting, the latest renderings I've seen show the DPI south end of the "Parkside HQ." Do we think the crescent park going to be built in two phases?
Based on Lakeshore East, Related won't build anything in terms of infrastructure or public space until they have to.

Right now it looks like DPI is the only actual building that is moving forward, the others will depend on leasing activity but Related is steering tenants to the NE corner where they are only a short walk from transit connections at Roosevelt.

If they do end up building the Red Line station, the south half of the site will be a mess for years since Related will need to relocate or otherwise work around the active freight and Metra tracks that sit directly above the station site.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 10:14 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

DPI is going to make DPI-I and DPI-II look really silly.

(sorry, couldn't resist).

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 2:22 PM

I recall reading somewhere (Crains? Tribune?) that they are going to start the building at the far northwest parcel before lining up tenants... can't find the article now though. It was just a few weeks before The Great Pause, so maybe things have changed.

EDIT: Aha, found it a few pages ago

The 78 lands a big tenant draw with DPI

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...enant-draw-dpi

Quote:
DPI also could give the 78 an advantage over other sprawling megaprojects hunting for tenants. Those include Sterling Bay's Lincoln Yards campus between Lincoln Park and Bucktown and Tribune Media's River District proposal along the North Branch of the Chicago River.

The 500,000-square-foot DPI building slated to break ground before the end of this year will eventually be home to some 2,000 students, a pipeline of U of I talent in downtown Chicago eager to wade into the city's deep corporate pool. In a tight labor market—one marked by companies moving entire headquarters to gain an edge in recruiting and retaining top tech talent—the prospect of setting up shop next to a training hub for one of the country's top engineering schools is a big draw.

"If there is an opportunity for (companies) to connect with the university and go right to the source of highly educated professionals that have a technical background, they're more likely to look at that location as a destination for an office," said Brad Serot, a vice chairman at CBRE who represented tech giant Salesforce in its 500,000-square-foot lease at a namesake tower soon to rise at Wolf Point.

Serot foresees DPI legitimizing the 78 as an emerging neighborhood the way Google did the Fulton Market District.

"This will have a ripple effect of similar magnitude, where (prospective tenants) will focus on the neighborhood and look at it a little bit differently, whereas before it may have not been on the tour list," he said.

Bailey is counting on that interest. He said Related Midwest plans to break ground in the next 12 months on a 300,000-square-foot office building at Roosevelt and the Chicago River whether or not it has signed a tenant to anchor it. Within that same time window, Related aims to begin work on other parts of the first phase of the 78, including a mixed-use tower along Roosevelt with a gym, hotel and as many as 500 apartments; a series of four-story, 120,000-square-foot office buildings closer to the river, and a five-acre park.

Another 1 million-square-foot office building immediately north of the DPI building would be built if Related can land a tenant to anchor it...

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 2:36 PM
TL;DR

^ Yeah I doubt if they will be willing to build a 16-story building entirely on spec at this point. You only do that if you think tenants will come calling based on seeing actual hard construction. But tenants aren't calling anywhere now. Even the tenants with lease expirations and a ticking clock have in many cases negotiated short-term extensions to remain in place.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Based on Lakeshore East, Related won't build anything in terms of infrastructure or public space until they have to.
Wait. . . what??? What did Related have to do with LSE? I must have missed something. . . I was under the impression LSE was Magellan. . .

. . .

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 3:40 PM
DENNAB

What does DPI stand for? Department of Public Information?

This rendering rules btw, and to think it's only phase I

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 4:02 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
Wait. . . what??? What did Related have to do with LSE? I must have missed something. . . I was under the impression LSE was Magellan. . .

. . .
Yes, they are different developers.

I'm saying that the build-out of Lakeshore East over the last 2 decades is a good guide for how things will unfold at The 78, since both are infrastructure-heavy, highrise developments with park space.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 5:08 PM

Randomguy34 - "It looks like Phase I will cover the portion from Roosevelt to 14th St, with the DPI being just south of that. It's gonna be kinda funny seeing +500' buildings cover Dearborn Park in shadows"

I like the look of this - it could make Dearborn Park ever so faintly look like Central Park with tall buildings surrounding a low-lying area. Not a bad thing for that once forlorn/underdeveloped area of the city.

Last edited by Halsted & Villagio; Apr 22, 2020 at 6:25 PM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 7:10 PM

that's taller than I realized it was going to be

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development