HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Permits issued for the first of the new Rush Medical/IMD buildings. This one is on Harrison across the street (to the east) of the main butterfly shaped building. 10 story building with a 6 story parking structure. A few years ago the buildings on that site were demolished to make way for all of these new buildings. Not sure if the 10 story building will be a high rise
Is that part of the gateway development project?

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshoredrive View Post
Is that part of the gateway development project?
Technically this is called Rush Center for Advanced Health Care. You can see a rendering of it here. The Rush site says 11 stories so not sure what it will be and it's possible it could quality as a high rise, but I'm not sure.

Here's a rendering I found:

https://www.rush.edu/news/press-rele...-receive-state

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Technically this is called Rush Center for Advanced Health Care. You can see a rendering of it here. The Rush site says 11 stories so not sure what it will be and it's possible it could quality as a high rise, but I'm not sure.

Here's a rendering I found:

https://www.rush.edu/news/press-rele...-receive-state
Thats the same project as this?

https://www.adjustableconcrete.com/p...niversity-nab/

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fvn View Post
Looks like it could be. The rendering I posted appears to be from one angle while the one you posted appears to be from the opposite angle.

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 3:11 PM

some of these projects are improving the near-west eisenhower corridor, at least visually

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLibertine View Post
^ I got all excited for a second. I thought that might've replaced that entire block long Walgreens and parking lot.
True, but we want something big for that lot, not a 9 story building

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 1:15 AM

Damen - Lake El station

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 2:38 AM

Forgot to mention it, but foundation equipment is on site for the huge Ace Hardware lot at Elston and Belmont. Going to really transform that corner.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 3:45 PM

RPM on the water

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 2:02 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Forgot to mention it, but foundation equipment is on site for the huge Ace Hardware lot at Elston and Belmont. Going to really transform that corner.
What’s going up there again?

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 2:05 PM
The City

^ Seconded. I've been wondering that since he posted it

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 2:07 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
So you still think the West Loop office market is a fad huh?
For anything other than a smattering of small, boutique office space, West of the expressway makes as little planning sense as ever for office. And certainly for any concentration of dense office usage - it makes no sense.

But, ya know, planning....Chicago....don’t usually belong in the same sentence....

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
What’s going up there again?
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Seconded. I've been wondering that since he posted it
Nothing too sexy, but a huge improvement for that corner, really filling in a huge missing tooth. Should provide a nice shot of density and vibrancy to that area as well. The final design is the top image, the original proposal is the bottom:

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2017...ment-deb-mell/

There was a huge NIMBY shit storm over this one and, frankly, I don't blame them since the original design was ass ugly and had all the parking traffic entering and exiting through the alley which is shared with a quiet residential side street full of SFH and two flats. The good news is that the Avondale Neighborhood Association was able to work with the neighbors and the developer to find a solution to the parking issue that I think is a win win for everyone. All the parking in this building is actually in a partial basement (shocking for something of this size) with 1.5 floor high retail bays on the street side and then a "1st floor" of apartments elevated .5 floors off the ground on top of the parking along the alley. Obviously adding a curb cut on Belmont is not ideal, but trading that for burying the parking and getting retail along almost the entire first floor was worth it. The curb cut was also pushed as far from the intersection as physically possible which is nice. Here's a diagram from the article showing what I'm talking about:

The other nice thing that ANA was able to get done here was to make the developer do some "place making" with a fairly nice architectural feature on the corner of Belmont and Elston. The little rotunda feature will not only hold the corner, but creates some interesting apartments and will also allow for a small triangular "plaza" type space on the corner that will hopefully become a patio for a cafe or restaurant eventually.

PS: my favorite feature of the parking is that the only parking that isn't buried is like 20 spaces in a surface lot along the alley. Those extra 20 spaces were at the request of the neighbors who were complaining about traffic through their alley and now they get to look at them forever. I tried hard to explain to them that agitating for more parking when you are concerned about the number of cars passing through your alley made no sense, but they wanted their damn parking so they got it and now have to live with it in perpetuity.

Last edited by LouisVanDerWright; May 28, 2019 at 3:02 PM.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
For anything other than a smattering of small, boutique office space, West of the expressway makes as little planning sense as ever for office. And certainly for any concentration of dense office usage - it makes no sense.

But, ya know, planning....Chicago....don’t usually belong in the same sentence....
Really the office explosion in the fulton market doesnt make sense and was unforseen by few outside of sterling bay. The catalyst was the Morgan St station and the rehab of the cold storage bldg for Google. But the advent of uber made quick trips from the Metra stations and neighborhoods like WP Ukranian Village, Logan, UIC feasible. Also the new larger office developments have large amounts of parking. I suspect there will be even more complaints on traffic when these bldgs fill up with tenants and the ride share traffic increases.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 3:25 PM

People are already bitching about the commute. If you are committed to CTA, notably the trains, that area not great. Switching to the Green Line from any of the other lines REALLY slows things down. Adds significant time to commute.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
Really the office explosion in the fulton market doesnt make sense and was unforseen by few outside of sterling bay. The catalyst was the Morgan St station and the rehab of the cold storage bldg for Google. But the advent of uber made quick trips from the Metra stations and neighborhoods like WP Ukranian Village, Logan, UIC feasible. Also the new larger office developments have large amounts of parking. I suspect there will be even more complaints on traffic when these bldgs fill up with tenants and the ride share traffic increases.
Morgan was a huge catalyst, but let's not forget that Halsted is roughly as far from Union/Ogalvie as Clark St. Locating west of Halsted is no less logical than locating East of Clark given the existence of Morgan. The West Loop is served by 3 different L lines and is just as close to the Metra commuters as anywhere in the East side of the Loop. I think a lot of people just can't fathom that the world exists outside of the Brown/Red lines...

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Nothing too sexy, but a huge improvement for that corner, really filling in a huge missing tooth. Should provide a nice shot of density and vibrancy to that area as well. The final design is the top image, the original proposal is the bottom:
Good god, that design is straight outta 2000: Gargantuan expanses of tan 'masonry', faux quoining, recessed retail entrances (which will otherwise function as urinals, trash receptacles), grossly over-scaled everything -- yuck.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 4:08 PM
The City

Quote:
^ We need more people like you in neighborhood zoning committees.

Better, yet, we need you to run for Alderman.

LVDW for Alderman! (just promise me you won't shake me down since I own property in your ward )

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 4:09 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
People are already bitching about the commute. If you are committed to CTA, notably the trains, that area not great. Switching to the Green Line from any of the other lines REALLY slows things down. Adds significant time to commute.
^ That's why Pilsen is poppin'

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 4:12 PM

Has anyone seen the New McD's at 2315 W Ogden?

It looks brand new and is 2 stories - right around the IMD area. I was driving through the other day and surprised by the design and density given it's surrounded by a sea of vacant land.

I realize it's fast food...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development