HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 5:00 AM

So urban outfitters is gone.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 11:20 AM

That's too bad. Retail will have a much better chance to succeed in 6-12 months when all the new residential comes online.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
So urban outfitters is gone.
Please explain further. Do you mean in the process of closing down? I just walked by today during lunch and it's open with customers inside

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
Please explain further. Do you mean in the process of closing down? I just walked by today during lunch and it's open with customers inside
Weird, I guess I was wrong then. Was at a comedy show last night and looked in the windows and they all were covered up, they must just do that at night.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Weird, I guess I was wrong then. Was at a comedy show last night and looked in the windows and they all were covered up, they must just do that at night.

Last edited by ASU Diablo; Jan 30, 2017 at 8:04 PM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
Considering what's being proposed at 3rd St and Pierce (assuming it actually happens), just thinking how that area would look like in the future and how extremely dense it will be. Do we know if The Met will be staying permanently? That development belongs somewhere in the 'burbs. Also, do we know what will be happening to the old Holiday Inn Hotel site on 5th n Fillmore?
It feels like a joke that the City and ASU have essentially landlocked the area from expanding through more private development. I just can't even picture the other side of 4th Street looking like the Cancer Center's Pierce Street presence; worse still is that the original plans had parking structures along the Garfield edge. With the amount of land owned by both ASU and COP downtown, choosing to build out these parcels -- and, build them out in the next phase -- is so shortsighted. The majority of the parcels adjacent to the new residential is going to be for a Pharmaceutical School and Cancer Research + In-patient Care > all of which could have been built in the current footprint. Had the campus evolved to become more compatible with residential blocks moving north, it could have worked out: housing, health-related retail (Pharmacy, UrgentCare, Vitamin Shoppe) and services (LA Fitness, CORE, Yoga, Massage Envy), open space(the triangle across Skyline with the historic homes), schools for vocations like Dentistry and Veterinary Science, etc. The narrow scope and suburban office park design of the entire campus is a bummer.

A hotel for medical conferences and continuing education in place of the Holiday Inn would certainly be an upgrade, but nothing designed east of 4th Street makes me think it would be of any interest to a typical downtown patron. As of now, that parcel is not part of the PBC but if the hotel is closing, I cannot imagine it not being gobbled up. I think the area will look just fine with a mix of low, mid, and high-rise buildings; places like Capitol Hill, for example, are just as diverse. If the 4-5 story phase is replaced by 8-12 story midrises for the remaining lots near Hance and such, that would help aesthetically. I am more concerned about the intruding PBC, the viability of anything being developed or redeveloped on Fillmore west of Skyline, and whether there will ever be a chance to overhaul 1st Street heading toward the park as the massive garage and heinous tower are an awful gateway.

1st and Garfield -- I don't see that anyone answered this question; the plans are for a shipping container project filled with various retail and restaurants. I can't imagine it being more than 3-4 stories, but having 3/4 corners activated will be good business for Velo and hopefully spur more intense projects on lots like 2nd/Garfield, the Record Store lot, etc. I am also for any project that draws people south of Roosevelt, and I also like the idea of 1st Street being a hub of retail/restaurants to build off what currently exists.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 2:43 AM

That's very interesting, I went to a project like that in Las Vegas last month and wondered why there isn't something similar in Phoenix. Theirs is on a much larger piece of land but it sounds like the same idea.

http://downtowncontainerpark.com/

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 3:01 AM

The renderings of Central Park East look absolutely fantastic (as does the Derby, for that matter); I was surprised to see them surface as I had anticipated residential coming later, but it looks like this might be an all-at-once deal and if so, that block will be killer. The residential has retail on the ground level, which is enough for me and great for the park, a future Central Station, etc. The sale regarding the lots was finalized.

I wish ASU would do something with University Center sooner rather than later. The empty bookstore, makeshift bank, and otherwise dingy appearance is not much of a welcome to prospective students. I am sure they'll go for a total demo to get parking integrated, but in the meantime, converting that first floor should not be that difficult with the current retail environment. I love that Taylor Mall is filling in after years with the new salon in Cronkite and Chik Fil-A. Will be great once the restaurant space is leased at the Law School.

Since someone brought up the possible closure of UO, I have to quickly (for me) go back to the PSP Block and say that if you think that cheap 2-story piece of garbage is worth anything to RED, you're kidding yourself. Do I think they WILL demolish it within the decade? No. But, it is absolutely in the realm of possibility as we are seeing leasing difficulties now that potential lease deals have expired, more competition has entered with Colliers filling up, etc. In reality, this just is not the prime location for the shopping center of downtown, with mostly office and government neighbors. A revamped AZ Center is much better positioned, and Colliers is in a better place when it comes to landing pre- and post-game restaurants.

Someone asked about short-term fixes and unfortunately, the issues with the design would all require extensive renovation. Even something as simple as adding windows and patios to the 2nd floor is nearly impossible as the faux windows are located outside bathrooms, behind bars, etc. The claustrophobic sidewalks would require a reworking of the garage ramps along 1st Ave, and the turn lane on Jefferson. Making the roof active and removing the unnecessary planters and barriers near Chipotle are the only small changes I can think of. I would almost prefer the south building go and views to Luhrs opened up.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
The renderings of Central Park East look absolutely fantastic (as does the Derby, for that matter); I was surprised to see them surface as I had anticipated residential coming later, but it looks like this might be an all-at-once deal and if so, that block will be killer. The residential has retail on the ground level, which is enough for me and great for the park, a future Central Station, etc. The sale regarding the lots was finalized.
Link to the renderings for CPE? Sounds awesome!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 8:12 AM

How many floors on the residential portion? Are we going to see some tower action? The hotel was 11 stories if I remember correctly.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
The renderings of Central Park East look absolutely fantastic
Do share

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 3:35 PM

Roosevelt Growhouse finds temporary new home at historic Knipe House

Greats news!! According to the article, the city will re-issue the Knipe RFP this upcoming Spring for a more permanent use.

http://downtowndevil.com/2017/02/02/...c-knipe-house/

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 11:10 PM

Central Park East?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Do share
What renderings where? I thought Central Park East was Freeport McMahon and the Westin. Is this something new?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
What renderings where? I thought Central Park East was Freeport McMahon and the Westin. Is this something new?
Jjs5056 said there was I was hoping he could share.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 6:39 PM

Uptown Plaza

I know that the outdated AJ's has been mentioned a few times on this board... So this is good news!

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...ery-3-new.html

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 10:24 PM

QUICKEN LOANS
it's been too long I forget how you post a new topic but anyway. Quicken Loans is suppose to be looking for 150 thousand square feet of office in downtown Phoenix. Should be a nice shot in the arm for somebody leasing.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
QUICKEN LOANS
it's been too long I forget how you post a new topic but anyway. Quicken Loans is suppose to be looking for 150 thousand square feet of office in downtown Phoenix. Should be a nice shot in the arm for somebody leasing.
Why would this warrant a new thread? It's not as though they are building a new tower. Definitely great news though!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2017, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Why would this warrant a new thread? It's not as though they are building a new tower. Definitely great news though!
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...n-phoenix.html

Old Posted Feb 4, 2017, 4:23 AM

The owner of Quicken Loans, Dan Gilbert, has bought a ton of old buildings in downtown Detroit and renovated them. He also consolidated all of Quicken's suburban Detroit offices into downtown Detroit.

This could potentially be great news.

Now for a little plug - Quicken is a great company to work with. I have all my residential properties finance through Quicken Loans. I highly recommend them.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2017, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
The owner of Quicken Loans, Dan Gilbert, has bought a ton of old buildings in downtown Detroit and renovated them. He also consolidated all of Quicken's suburban Detroit offices into downtown Detroit.

This could potentially be great news.

Now for a little plug - Quicken is a great company to work with. I have all my residential properties finance through Quicken Loans. I highly recommend them.
I'm glad this happened. From an inside source, they were supposed to go to Marina Heights but they didn't have the required internet infrastructure or something like that. But great news for downtown Phoenix and huge loss for Tempe

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest