HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 3:21 PM

Um, this is a BC highway construction thread right? Alberta's this way:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=229644&page=7

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 7:09 PM

Ya the Albertans bitch more about BC highways than BC people do lol!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 7:31 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

It’s okay. Ontarians look at highways everywhere else in Canada and say, “What goatpath!”

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I'd say 4-laning the TCH outside Golden is a way higher priority than getting rid of some traffic lights. I get that everyone loves to have free-flowing traffic whenever possible but those intersections in Golden are not a big delay compared to the huge platoons of traffic you always get between Golden and Donald.
The only question I would have is potential safety issues at the Hwy 95 intersection if there were lights. It's located at the base of a significant hill so you would have situations where semis would have to come to a complete stop after coming down the hill, or where semis would have to start climbing it from a dead stopand take long time to get up to speed. The current signals are to the west and allow a little bit of runway, so it might not be as big an issue.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmuzika View Post
The only question I would have is potential safety issues at the Hwy 95 intersection if there were lights. It's located at the base of a significant hill so you would have situations where semis would have to come to a complete stop after coming down the hill, or where semis would have to start climbing it from a dead stopand take long time to get up to speed. The current signals are to the west and allow a little bit of runway, so it might not be as big an issue.
If the Highway 95 intersection ever needed lights, the lights would only impact the Eastbound TCH traffic. With the protected left entrance lane, there's no need to stop Westbound traffic. The steeper grade isn't right next to the intersection so it shouldn't be too hard on trucks going up. Compared to something like this intersection in Medicine Hat which is hell for truckers, it's a piece of cake.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 8:50 PM

Quote:
If the Highway 95 intersection ever needed lights, the lights would only impact the Eastbound TCH traffic. With the protected left entrance lane, there's no need to stop Westbound traffic. The steeper grade isn't right next to the intersection so it shouldn't be too hard on trucks going up. Compared to something like this intersection in Medicine Hat which is hell for truckers, it's a piece of cake.
Did a little moving around on that Medicine Hat link and saw this:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.03426...2!8i6656?hl=en

I can't recall every seeing hitchhikers on Google Maps before.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 9:29 PM

BC Hydro to start work this week on Highway 29 alignment

SCOTT BROOKS SEPTEMBER 18, 2019

FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – B.C. Hydro has announced that it will begin work this week on the Highway 29 realignment east of Cache Creek.

According to Hydro, they will be preparing the site for the construction of a large embankment at the eastern end of the segment.

B.C. Hydro says they will be removing vegetation and soil to prepare the subgrade for the highway’s embankment and then will build the embankment using gravel from the Peaceview borrow area, located four kilometres west.

https://www.energeticcity.ca/2019/09...-29-alignment/

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 6:55 PM

Ongoing construction of the McKenzie interchange project requires three upcoming lane closures. (Photo via the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure)

Highway 1 lane closures planned for McKenzie interchange construction
New bridge deck to be placed during three night closures

DEVON BIDALSep. 25, 2019

https://www.goldstreamgazette.com/ne..._43JM2p_k-g1yQ

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 6:45 AM

Bids submitted for the replacement of Halfway River bridge

SCOTT BROOKS OCTOBER 1, 2019

An artist rendering of the new Halfway River bridge. Source B.C. Hydro

FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Bids have been submitted for the replacement of the Halfway River bridge.

As part of B.C. Hydro’s project to realign Highway 29 for the Site C reservoir, four bridges will need to be replaced, with the Halfway River bridge as a top priority.

The cost to build a new 1,042-metre bridge is estimated to be between $104 million to $134 million.

https://www.energeticcity.ca/2019/10...JNFVgcC25BEoaA

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 3:15 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/ne...cb2936dd9.html

Sorry Okanagan, the 2nd Crossing now seems dead in the water just like connecting 97C to 5 at Kingvale.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 3:29 AM

Both would have been nice.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 3:46 AM

Well, looks like the Okanagan will never have a true highway then.

That one councilor Charlie Hodge sounds like he is straight out of Vision Vancouver. Stating that he hopes a second crossing is never built...

Strange how much people in BC love start and stop traffic.

Couple that with the Peachland upgrades likely going through with traffic lights...

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 3:49 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

The highway revolt movement never dies, I suppose.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 8:12 AM

Can someone please explain this to me? We all know that this province sucks at building quality highways and highway maintenance isn't the best either. Lack of cat's eyes reflectors and rumble strips piss poor short-lasting paint on the lane lines etc. Now the rebuilt Sea to Sky, of course, doesn't have cat's eyes but the rebuild sections do have rumble strips on the right shoulders.

Driving along the highway recently I couldn't help but shake my head. Even though the pavement quality is still good after not even 10 years of the rebuild they decided to repave sections recently. Now new asphalt is a fine and dandy as long as you don't mess with the little safety features our crappy highways have. Some pea-brained moron thought it was a good idea to pave over the rumble strips. I couldn't believe it. Seriously who's the idiot that approved that and why? So they took away one safety feature and couldn't even bother putting in a new one like cat's eyes.

I just can't believe they did that. Great job highway maintenance crews.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
Can someone please explain this to me? We all know that this province sucks at building quality highways and highway maintenance isn't the best either. Lack of cat's eyes reflectors and rumble strips piss poor short-lasting paint on the lane lines etc. Now the rebuilt Sea to Sky, of course, doesn't have cat's eyes but the rebuild sections do have rumble strips on the right shoulders.

Driving along the highway recently I couldn't help but shake my head. Even though the pavement quality is still good after not even 10 years of the rebuild they decided to repave sections recently. Now new asphalt is a fine and dandy as long as you don't mess with the little safety features our crappy highways have. Some pea-brained moron thought it was a good idea to pave over the rumble strips. I couldn't believe it. Seriously who's the idiot that approved that and why? So they took away one safety feature and couldn't even bother putting in a new one like cat's eyes.

I just can't believe they did that. Great job highway maintenance crews.
Theres lots of rumble strips on our main highways here in the south-east but paving over rumble strips doesnt make sense unless theyre gonna re-rumble them.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 5:59 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/ne...cb2936dd9.html

Sorry Okanagan, the 2nd Crossing now seems dead in the water just like connecting 97C to 5 at Kingvale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Well, looks like the Okanagan will never have a true highway then.

That one councilor Charlie Hodge sounds like he is straight out of Vision Vancouver. Stating that he hopes a second crossing is never built...

Strange how much people in BC love start and stop traffic.

Couple that with the Peachland upgrades likely going through with traffic lights...

This is all very disheartening news.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 6:01 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Theres lots of rumble strips on our main highways here in the south-east but paving over rumble strips doesnt make sense unless theyre gonna re-rumble them.
They probably want to be able to pay more union labour to add the rumble strips back.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Reflectors are a waste of money anywhere that gets regular winter plowing operations. Even on low speed roadways in a City they won't survive more than a dozen plows at most. Durable inlaid paint markings are decent but I don't know if the cost benefit is there as they don't tend to last too much longer than regular markings and are much more costly to install.

Quote:
Pavement best practices will tell you that you should re-pave a road before problems really start, and that will extend the life of the entire pavement structure significantly. If you wait until things are falling apart, you've failed and probably need to do significant reconstruction.

Paving over rumble strips is a good thing. Ideally you do this because the act of creating rumble strips creates new failure points in the asphalt. Redoing them keeps them in good shape. Obviously if they never go back and redo them that's an issue, but since it's not the paving crew's job to make them, so maybe just wait a bit and see if they get out there?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Reflectors are a waste of money anywhere that gets regular winter plowing operations. Even on low speed roadways in a City they won't survive more than a dozen plows at most.
Recessed reflectors seem to work fine elsewhere.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Recessed reflectors seem to work fine elsewhere.
I've seen the recessed reflectors used in Alberta. mainly in the national parks. they are moving to rumble strips more often though.

I like them when I am out on my bike. I can hear the car that is about to hit me cross over them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia