HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 8:30 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Which ever countries whose populations are either on the decline or on the rise, overall the world population continues to increase, a trend that has never slowed.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanactivistTX View Post
So I suppose your plan is to die young???
If you don't have any kids or grandkids, what'll keep you going anyways? It's not like you'll ever relive the glory of your younger years once you get to that age. Rotting on a wheelchair in a retirement home and peeing my pants isn't my idea of living.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 8:39 PM
Repeat!

Italy has too many mammoni (mama's boys) and population growth is only getting worse. Most of my cousins there don't even have a brother or sister.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfinley View Post
Expanding lifespans have been largely overstated by the media. While the mean lifespan has risen dramatically over the last couple centuries, the median lifespan has edged up by a few years. Consider how many fewer children are expected to die of disease or young adults are expected to be fatally injured on the job. These common occurrences drove the mean lifespan down substantially; but if people had survived early accident and disease back in the day, an individual could still be expected to reach 70 years old with adequate nutrition.
This is a common belief but it is now known to be somewhat off. Life expectancy at age 65, for example, has gone from 12 years in 1900 to about 17 years in 2000; fewer than 13% of 65 year olds in 1900 could expect to reach 85, compared to 42% today. Now that the mortality transition has gone almost as far as it can go among the young, some of the largest reductions in mortality are occurring among people over age 80.

And the changes that have occurred in disability are only now starting to be fully understood. Today we often assume that people in the past had lower disability rates because they didn't live to advanced ages, but in fact, things that we now consider disabilities of the elderly--arthritis, cognitive disorders, cardiovascular disease, hernias, etc.--were commonplace 100 years ago by age 50, and people then were crippled by conditions like chronic diarrhea and hemorrhoids that are comparatively insignificant (in affliction rates and severity) today. I think a lot of the anxiety over aging populations comes from two things: continued retirement at or below age 65, and extremely high medical costs, rather than disability per se.

As far as whether high birthrates among low-educated, low-skilled Hispanic women are something to be very concerned about or not, in what very significant way is this population so different from immigrants 100 years ago?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abner View Post
As far as whether high birthrates among low-educated, low-skilled Hispanic women are something to be very concerned about or not, in what very significant way is this population so different from immigrants 100 years ago?
They have a guy in a big, white pointy hat telling them that they'll go to hell if they use birth control?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutterbug View Post
They have a guy in a big, white pointy hat telling them that they'll go to hell if they use birth control?
As opposed to Irish and Italian immigrants 100 years ago, who in addition to being Catholic didn't have birth control to begin with--yet within a few generations of immigration, their fertility converged to the general American level. Are you afraid of the Polish, too?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 3:39 AM

This fear of births to uneducated Latins is just nativism.

After one generation in the U.S., the birthrates plummet.

And most Latin countries do not have high birthrates. Some countries in Latin America have lower birthrates than the U.S.

Contrary to stereotype, Mexico does not have a particularly high birthrate. It once did, but it has plummeted in recent years.

The reason that poor Mexican immigrants have a lot of children is because they are poor rural folks. Just like if they moved to Mexico City or Guadalajara, once they are in the U.S., their birthrates plummet.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 5:25 AM
Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The reason that poor Mexican immigrants have a lot of children is because they are poor rural folks.
Right, they breed 'em for work.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 9:40 AM

I feel if hispanics are here legally, they have ever right to be here. Just like every other race that came form elsewhere, and has started roots here. Why point out the less fortunate hispanics, and, not the less fortunate in general using the system. Just imagine if a African country bordered U.S. States, the problem would be ten fold.

The Browning of America? Hispanics are not all brown, what a ignorant choice of words. The brown skin he should refer to is more of a meztizo-indian indigent class. In Mexico, you are either Wealthy or Poor, white or brown. It's sad but even in Mexico, the more indian looking you are, the more you are considered a second class citizen. Unfortunately hate and ignorance is everywhere, the U.S. is one of the worst, I'll say Germany and Israel are the most.

I'm a Mexican American, born here, and, happen to have light skin.
Anyhow, I don't like the way Hispanics are generalized. Hispanics can be just as American Pie as Non Hispanic Whites. I bet most Non Hispanic whites don't even know when a Mexican walks right by them. I'm sure the image of a laborer out in the fields first comes to mind, which is further from the truth.

The brown Mexicans? I love the spicy music, it gets me excited, lol. Some of the guys are yummy.
Mexican Boys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye_ENMz31v8&NR=1

Mexican Girls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_IPuJBBT_0
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Last edited by Paul in S.A TX; Jul 3, 2008 at 10:18 AM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
I feel if hispanics are here legally, they have ever right to be here. Just like every other race that came form elsewhere, and has started roots here. Why point out the less fortunate hispanics, and, not the less fortunate in general using the system. Just imagine if a African country bordered U.S. States, the problem would be ten fold.

The Browning of America? Hispanics are not all brown, what a ignorant choice of words. The brown skin he should refer to is more of a meztizo-indian indigent class. In Mexico, you are either Wealthy or Poor, white or brown. It's sad but even in Mexico, the more indian looking you are, the more you are considered a second class citizen. Unfortunately hate and ignorance is everywhere, the U.S. is one of the worst, I'll say Germany and Israel are the most.

I'm a Mexican American, born here, and, happen to have light skin.
Anyhow, I don't like the way Hispanics are generalized. Hispanics can be just as American Pie as Non Hispanic Whites. I bet most Non Hispanic whites don't even know when a Mexican walks right by them. I'm sure the image of a laborer out in the fields first comes to mind, which is further from the truth.

The brown Mexicans? I love the spicy music, it gets me excited, lol. Some of the guys are yummy.
Mexican Boys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye_ENMz31v8&NR=1

Mexican Girls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_IPuJBBT_0
lol, classic

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
The Browning of America? Hispanics are not all brown, what a ignorant choice of words.
I grew up in Germany and my GF is Mexican, yet I am darker than her.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 3:16 PM

We've GOT to work on our language here....

When did "Latin" become interchangeable with "Latino" or "Hispanic"????

Last time I checked, Latin implies the cultures associated and derived from ancient Italy... you know where ROME was located?

Just like this jumble of mess that I'm typing on the keyboard (modern English) is a semi-Romantic language-- it developed concurrently from archaic French and archaic German/Celt.

So to use a term like LATIN would imply derivation of over HALF of the Western World, including the former British Empire. Hispanic implies a direct origin from Spain.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westak View Post
lol, classic
I thought I'd lighten the mood with the videos, touchie subject, will at least for me. I don't care much for these topics which seem to be more racist driven
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Last edited by Paul in S.A TX; Jul 3, 2008 at 5:35 PM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 5:42 PM

Immigration is the best thing going for this country. People were making the same complaints about Germans 300 years ago, Irish 200 years ago, Italians 100 years ago, and Asians 50 years ago. The U.S. needs an open border policy. People want better lives and opportunities, and that's a great thing. No one chose where they were born, so I'm sick of the self-righteous racist and xenophobic attitude of most so-called "Americans." Actually immigrants are more patriotic than most of us. They come here because of the ideals the U.S. represents and for the liberties guaranteed in the Constitution while most "Americans" want those same rights destroyed. Immigrants are the ones running who truly run this country, yet they get no respect or appreciation for their hard work, courage, and sacrifice.

Last edited by Serenade; Jul 3, 2008 at 6:00 PM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 6:05 PM

Here in Chicago, I know where the best place to go for the Fourth of July is... the Hispanic neighborhoods.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 6:25 PM

Interestingly enough, the only immigrants this country accepted with open arms were slaves.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 9:26 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
This fear of births to uneducated Latins is just nativism.
i call BS. the reason why it's an issue becuase they depend heavily on the system. we're having a tough time as it is handling our own more let alone take on millions more from mexico.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 3:38 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMancuso View Post
i call BS. the reason why it's an issue becuase they depend heavily on the system.
Proof? They depend more heavily on the system, per capita, than any other group?

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 7:17 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
Proof? They depend more heavily on the system, per capita, than any other group?
didn't say they depend on the system more than other groups but a large amount of latin-american immigrants (particularly of native decent) do depend on the system for their healthcare. walk into any county hospital or clinic in texas or the southwest and a large portion of those seeking treatment are immigrants from mexico and central america.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 8:23 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The article
"What's killing Japan and threatening the economic future of Europe is that they don't have enough kids, and that's what's depriving these rural areas in America."
That's true. It's really kind of staggering to see how many older people inhabit Austin's suburbs. Just casual news clips from those places have a majority of older people, most over 50 or 60 years old appearing on the news. There was a news clip talking about some city council action in one of our suburbs (I forget which), and most of the city council was made up of older people. Most of the people sitting in the audience were older, like in their 70s and even 80s. I immediately wondered what all the young people are doing there? This area is where Dell, Inc. is based, so a lot of the young people there work at Dell. Still, I wondered why no interest at all from younger people, even some 30 year old people would be younger than most.

Anyway, this new trend of people not having kids anymore is happening in the US also. My brother and his wife have one son, and they say they're finished. My cousin has one daughter, he told his mom, "This is it, you're not getting any more grandchildren." He himself is an only child. Another cousin of mine is just now pregnant with her first child, she's gotta be about 35, and this might end up being her last. Many of my other cousins are all in their mid and late 20s, even into their mid-30s, and none have any children. I don't either. Even my oldest cousin who is almost 50 now only has one child. He's 100 percent German though. His parents only had two kids, and his sister also only had two kids. Two of my uncles also never had kids and likely won't since both are single and in their 60s.

Thou shall not indict

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States