HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 1:46 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Eastern Ontario has no manufacturing base at all unlike SWO which is why the NDP have never gained traction there. Liberal support has basically been an Ottawa-centered affair with the rest of EO being staunchly Conservative both federally and provincially.

Except for Ottawa, SWO seems to be more progressive than EO in most social and economic issues. Outside of Ottawa and Kingston, EO is basically small towns regional centers serving farming communities where as SWO has far more smaller cities that still have a solid manufacturing base and more urban sensibilities.
The exception being the far eastern reaches of the region which are francophone.

That area has been pretty consistently Liberal with the occasional bump on the road. Social views are also more liberal there too, though for some reason not quite as progressive as across the border in Quebec.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The exception being the far eastern reaches of the region which are francophone.
Yup. Very evident in the provincial election results. Exurban Orleans was one of the few Liberal holdouts and the PCs were also weaker in Glengarry-Prescott-Russell.

Meanwhile the PCs won huge in the anglophone rural areas. They received over 60% in Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke (69.2%), Stormont-Dundas-South Glengarry (61.5%) and Leeds-Grenville (61.3%). Renfrew was the top PC showing in the province.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
True, even areas of SW Ontario thought of as "rural" (such as Oxford County or Chatham-Kent) actually have a significant manufacturing base.
And this time Ford did much better in these "rurban" ridings with a manufacturing base. Hudak scared the daylights out of even conservative union members. Ford's populism played much better in the "rust belt."

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 10:33 PM

There does seem to be a sort of "Eastern Ontario" mill town typology that begins around Port Hope and Peterborough. Rowhouses, stately Victorian buildings (i.e. Victoria Hall in Cobourg), pre-Fordist industry (i.e. Quaker Oats plant in Peterborough). Somewhat akin to...some towns in Pennsylvania?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 12:38 AM
recession proof

^Scots-Irish Presbyterian and English Anglican Empire Loyalist influences.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 6:00 PM

Suburban London feels like an upper middle class nouveau riche suburb outside Detroit or Columbus.

Whereas Eastern Ontario comes across as more like an economically stagnant part of Upstate New York, with more mature preserved forests and patches of Canadian Shield rock.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 7:51 PM

The lots are way bigger in the US (like, way, way bigger), but generally, yea.

Upstate NY feels poorer than Eastern Ontario though.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
Suburban London feels like an upper middle class nouveau riche suburb outside Detroit or Columbus.

Whereas Eastern Ontario comes across as more like an economically stagnant part of Upstate New York, with more mature preserved forests and patches of Canadian Shield rock.
Ya, I agree except for Ottawa. For decades Eastern Ontario has been growing at a much lower rate than SWO and even now that it is growing, it is doing so at a slower rate.

It sort of gives Eastern Ontario a rather "static" look and due to it's slow/non-existent growth, it's suburban areas look like they were built in the 1960s. I also have found Eastern Ontario towns, in general, not as vibrant as SWO. That maybe because there is no agriculture and fa fewer villages and rural populations around them meaning they have a small population outside the town itself in which to draw. Possibly also because, up until recently, they have been growing very slowly so there are fewer younger people, new immigrants, and new residence to add some fresh life into the places.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post

I'm not sure I follow the comparison. You're comparing a suburban London neighbourhood to the vast rural region of Eastern ON?

Ottawa is a wealthy major metropolitan G8 capital city with a metro population of around 1.4 million.... SW Ontario has no comparison and its largest city has barely 500k metro. I'm not sure I understand this thread at all. Apples to oranges.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoNerd View Post
I'm not sure I follow the comparison. You're comparing a suburban London neighbourhood to the vast rural region of Eastern ON?

Ottawa is a wealthy major metropolitan G8 capital city with a metro population of around 1.4 million.... SW Ontario has no comparison and its largest city has barely 500k metro. I'm not sure I understand this thread at all. Apples to oranges.
You're including Quebec numbers to prop you up to 1.4 million in your Eastern Ontario numbers? Then let's include Detroit numbers to bump up SW Ontario's numbers? lol. I lived in Ottawa for 6 years and never understood this fascination for wanting to seem bigger/more populous of a city than they really area. It's one metropolis in the middle of many smaller towns/nowhere. SW Ontario has 3 areas around the 500k+ range (Hamilton, KW, London), plus many mid sized cities (Guelph, Windsor). Overall it's a more populated area,, has experienced more growth, has much higher real estate values, is more diverse, and so on.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 8:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
You're including Quebec numbers to prop you up to 1.4 million in your Eastern Ontario numbers? Then let's include Detroit numbers to bump up SW Ontario's numbers? lol. I lived in Ottawa for 6 years and never understood this fascination for wanting to seem bigger/more populous of a city than they really area. It's one metropolis in the middle of many smaller towns/nowhere. SW Ontario has 3 areas around the 500k+ range (Hamilton, KW, London), plus many mid sized cities (Guelph, Windsor). Overall it's a more populated area,, has experienced more growth, has much higher real estate values, is more diverse, and so on.
Ottawa and Gatineau are inexorably linked, they don't simply comprise one metropolitan area, they are effectively the same city aside from governance. Residents/Employees have very little regard for the border as the cities are nearly completely integrated. There is zero comparison to Detroit and Windsor, and very little comparison the the larger metropolitan areas of Southwestern Ontario.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 8:16 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Gatineau does contribute some heft to Ottawa as a metro but the impact of that on Eastern Ontario as a region is fairly minimal.

Even without Gatineau tacked onto Ottawa, Eastern Ontario would still be a region dominated by one pretty big city with a couple of much much smaller cities.

As opposed to SW Ontario which has a bunch of medium-sized cities.

Brantford and Guelph are Kingston-sized, and then after that Sarnia and Chatham-Kent are considerably larger than Cornwall and Brockville.

Brockville is the fourth-largest city in Eastern Ontario and has a CA population of only 40,000.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Gatineau does contribute some heft to Ottawa as a metro but the impact of that on Eastern Ontario as a region is fairly minimal.

Even without Gatineau tacked onto Ottawa, Eastern Ontario would still be a region dominated by one pretty big city with a couple of much much smaller cities.

As opposed to SW Ontario which has a bunch of medium-sized cities.

Brantford and Guelph are Kingston-sized, and then after that Sarnia and Chatham-Kent are considerably larger than Cornwall and Brockville.

Brockville is the fourth-largest city in Eastern Ontario and has a CA population of only 40,000.
Dorval being closer than Ottawa for my part, I don't feel that the dominant city in Eastern Ontario is Ottawa, it is Montréal. People work more in Montréal than Ottawa from the folks I see taking the train in the morning. But then again we're closer to the QC border.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario