HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
While I bemoan the size of what ended up in the 2nd IBX lot and this photoshopping is well done, the skyline itself looks like a bad photoshop here, with 6 of the 8 tallest towers being twins. The Blank Rome Comisky and McCauley redesign would have been great and I hadn't heard about that before, it's a real shame that never happened (especially if the cladding was different - hard to tell from the newspaper article). Glad we have so much more architectural diversity in our skyline today.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 4:58 PM

I can remember my annoyance at the time (in the late Eighties/early Nineties) that everyone seemed to want to build twin towers. The IBX building isn't impressive enough to merit a copy.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 7:30 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
Bummer, don't see any mention of recladding and not in the render.
Yea, I was hoping for a re-skin or at least spruce up. But I am glad to see more residential on the Parkway AND the addition of Victory Brewing (plus another soon to be announced eatery) is awesome.

Next, I would love to see a complete overhaul of the nearby Sheraton.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 9:36 PM

Quote:
According to the photos I found:

The tower was green lit in October 1986

Penn Center building on site demolished by November 1987

The tower was above ground by February 1988

Core topped out May 1988

Steel topped out August 1988

Tower was completely cladded by January 1989

Here's a construction shot found on Google, looks like it was taken around April 1988

Yeah that sounds about right; the dates sound about right. I remember around May of 1987 I use to fly out of Philly International and you could see Liberty One but you couldn't see Blue Cross One however you could see it by May 1988 or the core because my friends and I weren't sure of how tall it would be at the time; we tried to measure its height by the height of Liberty One.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Interesting read honestly. I wish there was so much more photographs of the skyline between 1985-1993, lots of history on skyscraper construction in between those years. Even though I'm only 19 and I'm loving current transformation of Philadelphia, it's actually the 80's skyscraper boom that interests me the most, my favorite look to the skyline is the 1987 skyline when One Liberty was above all.

Anyways, here is some photoshop I did to see what the twins would look like in reality

IBX Tower twin photoshop by Philly SkyGuy, on Flickr

IBX Twin Towers with skyline photoshop by Philly SkyGuy, on Flickr
Wow! Wow!

What could have been! Amazing!!!!!

If you are interested in the 1980's Philadelphia Skyline there are 2 things you can do; if you can somehow find a Philadelphia Yellow Pages; it was either 1985 or 1986; they had an early computer graphic of the way West Market Street would look each year as the buildings were build and you could see what was planned and how it changed. I had a yellow Pages back then and marveled over it; we didn't have the internet so this was the way Skyscraper Enthusiasts back then imaged things and of course we drew things out on pencil and paper. If you see that Yellow Pages from 1985 or 86; I can't remember the year; you'll find that the Mellon Center Tower is taller with respect to Liberty One; this image was taken before its height was shortened.

Another things you can do is find a view of downtown Philadelphia from the Veterans Stadium before 1982; that date is key because anything before 1982 won't show the Reading One Center. Reading One Center was the name of the Aramark Tower at the time from what I remember and now they changed the name again. If you compare the photos of 1982 to say 1991 or 1992 when the Bell Atlantic Tower was finished you'll have an idea of how much downtown Philadelphia changed in a short time in the 1980's and then you can see the change now.

I remember a deal before 1982 so I've seen the change.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 5:32 AM

One item that hasn't been mentioned in regard to the planned 2nd IBX tower is that a high-rise building already stood on the site -- the 22-story Penn Center Inn. The building was torn down in 1990 in preparation for the 2nd tower. After the tower project fizzled, the ground remained a parking lot for the next 25 years.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanyika View Post
One item that hasn't been mentioned in regard to the planned 2nd IBX tower is that a high-rise building already stood on the site -- the 22-story Penn Center Inn. The building was torn down in 1990 in preparation for the 2nd tower. After the tower project fizzled, the ground remained a parking lot for the next 25 years.
You're right; I remember the Penn Center Inn; never had a reason to go there but the building was there. It's somewhat amazing that in only 40 years a highrise was there; a new was planned and never came to be and now we have one again; which seems taller than Penn Center Inn; I'm not sure if it is but it seems to be for some reason from what I remember.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 3:22 PM

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
^^^ Awesome, I never knew there was a redesign - would have been very cool.
Bullet dodged on the twin, but yeah, that redesign could have been great (judging from one photo).

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 5:19 AM
lost philadelphian soul

Quote:
What's this then?

2021-01-21_09-57-08 by Philly SkyGuy, on Flickr

And the 1989 redesign after the law firm Blank Rome Comisky and McCauley originally going in the twin towers cancelled their plans to move in

2021-01-21_09-57-15 by Philly SkyGuy, on Flickr
I will say thank you for displaying this image, when I was 17 I carried the top picture from the news papers along with the Mellon bank tower, the Atlantic Bell tower, and the Liberty towers in my wallet.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 4:40 PM

CDR Submissions for February are up

Only 3 projects this time. All 3 we already know about.

Link:
https://www.phila.gov/departments/ph...blic-meetings/

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 10:02 PM

I'm posting in this thread due to the size and location of the parcel mentioned in this permit:

ZP-2021-000231
Jan 26, 2021
316-20 S 11TH ST, Philadelphia, PA 19107-6067

316 SOUTH 11TH STREET L P

Complete Demolition of Existing 3 Story Parking Garage

Does anyone know if anything is anticipated to rise at this location? It looks like the underlying zoning is RM-1.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I'm posting in this thread due to the size and location of the parcel mentioned in this permit:

ZP-2021-000231
Jan 26, 2021
316-20 S 11TH ST, Philadelphia, PA 19107-6067

316 SOUTH 11TH STREET L P

Complete Demolition of Existing 3 Story Parking Garage

Does anyone know if anything is anticipated to rise at this location? It looks like the underlying zoning is RM-1.
Pretty sure that's within the Society Hill height limit.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 1:17 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Pretty sure that's within the Society Hill height limit.
Maybe not, although there may be limits in the zoning overlays that do affect this address. You know you can look up exactly which overlays are in play for any given address at atlas.phila.gov under the zoning tab. ;-)

https://atlas.phila.gov/316%20S%2011TH%20ST/zoning

Overlays (3)
Name Code Section
/CTR Center City Overlay District - Residential Parking Control Area
14-502-1
/CTR Center City Overlay District - Center City Residential District Control Area
14-502-1
/CTR Center City Overlay District - Center City Commercial District Control Area
14-502-1

https://codelibrary.amlegal.com/code...a/0-0-0-219567

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 5:10 PM

8th & Race - since we closed out the individual thread for this one

New project evolving at Chinatown's 8th and Vine site once slated for Equal Justice Center

Quote:
Pennrose Properties has dramatically revamped its plans for a highly visible site at 8th and Vine streets in Philadelphia's Chinatown neighborhood after plans for the development of an Equal Justice Center fell through.

The Philadelphia real estate company is now exploring developing an affordable senior housing project on a portion of what is now a surface parking lot.

“Pennrose notified us that they are no longer moving forward with their project and so PRA canceled all of their rights and reservations to the site,” said Jamila Davis, a spokeswoman for the Philadelphia Redevelopment Authority, or PRA. “Pennrose has been working with the community on a proposal to build a standalone affordable senior housing building on part of the site, utilizing their recent tax credit award.”

The redevelopment authority board would need to approve a new redevelopment agreement for the smaller project on just a portion of the parcel, Davis said. “For the remainder of the site, PRA is not planning to put out another RFP at this time because the community stakeholders requested that we work with them on a community-driven planning process,” she said.

In addition to the Equal Justice Center, the development called for 55 affordable housing units for senior citizens, another building containing market rate rentals, a small hotel, retail space and 181-space parking area.
Read more here:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...-and-vine.html

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 8:22 PM

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 4:12 AM
Philly Pholly

Different proposals in immediate area (red)
under construction (blue)
TIGHT!

Shown with 1810 Chestnut, 1826 Chestnut, 1620 Sansom, 115 19th. and 212 Chestnut.

Rittenhouse Square N

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 5:30 AM
Philly Pholly

Updated
I think I have them all
Mostly just the towers
RED -Proposals
BLUE -Under construction
yeah, some old ones

General 1-29-21

General 1-29-21 b

General 1-29-21 c

General 1-29-21 d

General 1-29-21 e

General 1-29-21 f

General 1-29-21 g

I sure wish there was something with some real height on E Market
General 1-29-21 h

Last edited by SEFTA; Jan 30, 2021 at 6:02 AM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 12:53 PM

^ With the city will look like after I am long gone.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 3:19 PM

As I was walking by the Checkers location just north of Broad and Girard, I noticed this sign:

Could we eventually have a large project on our hands? The lot is zoned CMX-4 and runs all the way back to Carlisle Street, so we could see something really tall here. With the potential for this and a project on the CVS lot, Broad and Girard could grow much taller in the near future!

Temple University '18 ']['

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations