HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Grabbed a crappy pic last night. I think I preferred the brick although I didn't love the rounded windows. In the new rendering it looks like the windows are smaller though.

New:

Old:

I personally like the original design. The first set-back was clearly designed to add symmetry and consistency to the streetscape's existing building heights. The new one does not look like it does this at all. If it kept the set-back height it might be OK, but overall I prefer the original.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 3:23 PM
New Brunswick booster!

A lot of foundations waiting for further construction in Bishop Heights:

by James McGrath, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsley View Post
I personally like the original design. The first set-back was clearly designed to add symmetry and consistency to the streetscape's existing building heights. The new one does not look like it does this at all. If it kept the set-back height it might be OK, but overall I prefer the original.
It may not be an accurate picture. I'll check out the actual structural steel on the first setback next time I'm downtown.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
It may not be an accurate picture. I'll check out the actual structural steel on the first setback next time I'm downtown.
Note that the original rendering had planters in between the balconies that made it look like the initial setback was higher than it actually was. These are missing from the new rendering.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 8:27 PM

Quote:
You can see the setback here, it starts at the top of the third floor

20210109_131356 by Optimus Prime, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 2:57 PM

The City Hotel conversion was approved by PAC last night https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...881663?cmp=rss

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB_ExistsToo View Post
You can see the setback here, it starts at the top of the third floor

20210109_131356 by Optimus Prime, on Flickr
I still think it is off but would have to see the finished product. Structured steel is hard on the eyes. LOL

The original design had a faux roof element (looks like the white/black element for the planters) which created a sense of visual alignment to the building heights on either side. If these are retained and are the heights of the original, it should not be an issue. In the second image, these look lower than the height of the roof line of the building beside it - perhaps an artist's mistake.

As a best practice in urban design, the first set back should appear aligned to the buildings on either side from a pedestrian perspective. In this scenario, from what I can see, it would be a three story podium with the fourth floor being set back OR the third floor being partially set back with design details to align the base of the fourth floor to the roofline of the buildings on either side. This is what the first design looks to be trying to do - and would be what most urban planners and designers would recommend.

From what I see, the fourth floor starts a few feet BELOW the roof line of the building to the left of it. So it will be interesting to see how this turns out. However, I'm nervous.

Last edited by Pugsley; Jan 21, 2021 at 5:29 PM. Reason: Adding context

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 2:28 PM

Looks like we may be getting a barBurrito franchise this fall: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-busine...oon/1545739319

Quote:
barBurrito - one of Canada's fastest growing franchise systems has expanded to Atlantic Canada. Every QSR restaurant is locally owned and operated, supported by our regional office in Dartmouth and Corporate Office located in Toronto. The Province of New Brunswick is primed for growth starting in Fredericton. We're looking for hard working, savvy business people who work well in a team environment. Restaurant sites are sourced and developed turnkey ahead of time -- in Fredericton we have identified a AAA location which will open in September or early October, 2021.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 2:55 PM

If their Dartmouth location is any indication, it'll be Uptown in a strip mall. Is anything currently open in the Corbett Centre?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 3:29 PM

Downtown needs more upper end fast food(ie not a McDs, BK etc). I could see it doing well on the ground floor of either new buildings on Regent or Queen.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin6463 View Post
Downtown needs more upper end fast food(ie not a McDs, BK etc). I could see it doing well on the ground floor of either new buildings on Regent or Queen.
Wouldn't hurt to have a McDs downtown again though.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 3:47 PM

Quote:
If their Dartmouth location is any indication, it'll be Uptown in a strip mall. Is anything currently open in the Corbett Centre?
It looks like Thai Manao is redividing their dining room space, separating the unit between them and BG Services. So that theoretically could be a spot they could take; but Taco Boyz is literally 3 doors down so there might be conflicts there.

I saw chatter on FB how Blue Cross has closed up on Prospect, and the barbers are moving; but that's supposedly going to be a pet store.

EB Games is out of the spot on Prospect as well, so I could see them snagging that unit next to Buffet to Go. It is a high traffic street and next to the High School so good traffic at lunch.

Uptown Centre has an empty spot but it's probably too big.

Otherwise, I could maybe see them going out to Hanwell and Bishop, where Tony's and Pur and Simple are.

Downtown would be a nice location as well if they can find a spot. The Tannery is full, but there's new retail opportunities at Carleton. Is the retail floor of the new building on Smythe fully rented out? I thought I heard Service NB or Service Canada was going there?

Northside would be a good spot as well; lots of units available like at 2NC or along Main street. And no Mex options available at the moment.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Is the retail floor of the new building on Smythe fully rented out? I thought I heard Service NB or Service Canada was going there?
Do you mean Regent? There's still a for lease sign on the ground floor but the rest of the building is being used by the feds. Service Canada, ACOA, etc.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 2:35 AM

On next month's PAC agenda:

- Rezoning to accommodate an 8-unit apartment building at 113 George Street. Currently there's an old 5-unit building there.
- Rezoning of 616-618 Union for a mixed used 6-storey building with 41 apartments. This is adjacent to New England Pizza.
- Amend previous terms and conditions for 616-620 Forest Hill Rd. to build a 5-storey apartment building instead of a 4-storey building, with the same number of units (56).

Also, the building being constructed at 23 Main St. is described as "commercial bottom and high density residential component above." No idea how many units though.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 2:53 AM

Quote:

Also, the building being constructed at 23 Main St. is described as "commercial bottom and high density residential component above." No idea how many units though.
I'm watching that being built now. The second story is almost complete and I'm beginning to think there is going to be a 3rd story. While the steel framing only goes up to slightly above the first floor, the woodframe "roof" they are putting on the second story looks more like a new floor instead of an actual ceiling. (And a rather thin one at that; it only looks to be about a foot thick; it better have lotss of insulation and soundproofing).

The thing is, there doesn't seem to be much parking on that lot, especially with a commercial bottom that hugs the road, and we're a bit far from the core to rely on transit (but it is on the Carlisle route and almost on the Kilarney Lake route). I guess we'll see in a week or two if they start building walls or sealing off the top.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 3:09 AM

Some excellent retail news for Freddy

MonkeyCakes is moving to a bigger unit in their current mall. The new space will let them become a full service bakery and to have more product. Basically they've outgrown their corner of the minimall and are growing.

Quote:
Announcement, Hear Ye Hear Ye!!

During downturns has been where some companies bet on themselves, pivot, and grow. So here’s hoping!!!

Our lease is up. We’ve been in our small spot for 9 years now. We’re moving into a larger space (same mall) and becoming a Full Service Bakery not just a specialized cupcake/cake shop.

We’re expanding our daily menu, building a Social Media studio for online demos & classes. And with a giant new kitchen we can produce more in the same amount of time. Our current location is too segmented for ideal production. There’s no ending to what we can produce. We can now also flirt with wholesale ideas.

We plan on opening early February

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 3:36 PM

Quote:

- Rezoning to accommodate an 8-unit apartment building at 113 George Street. Currently there's an old 5-unit building there.
- Rezoning of 616-618 Union for a mixed used 6-storey building with 41 apartments. This is adjacent to New England Pizza.
- Amend previous terms and conditions for 616-620 Forest Hill Rd. to build a 5-storey apartment building instead of a 4-storey building, with the same number of units (56).

Curious about these new developments on Main Street. I am not in Fredericton currently (so I cannot see them) but curious if they are following the recommended guidelines for the Main Street redevelopment plan - as in retail closer to street with reduced set-back and parking at rear, mixed use, etc? Or is it a case of "we envisioned this...but meh, do what you want"?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsley View Post
Curious about these new developments on Main Street. I am not in Fredericton currently (so I cannot see them) but curious if they are following the recommended guidelines for the Main Street redevelopment plan - as in retail closer to street with reduced set-back and parking at rear, mixed use, etc? Or is it a case of "we envisioned this...but meh, do what you want"?
Build quality has left something to be desired, but the new/ongoing projects at 23 Main, 214 Main (pictured) and 298 Union/98 Douglas are all perfectly within the Plan's purpose.

The part of that document that I suspect will never happen is the residential units behind the newer buildings fronting the trail.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 4:24 PM

So far the work on Main Street does seem to be following the plan for the most part.

The new building next to Shoppers certainly hugs the road, though I hope when/if the market moves in, they will have a proper Main street entrance instead of having the entrances in the back.

There doesn't seem to be any action on the Townhouses 2nd Phase yet, but maybe COVID and/or the Construction crunch slowed that down.

The building near Wendys sort've isn't for it, but they have a new building going up in front of it that seems more appropriate.

And the building on Main out near the PetroCanada certainly hugs the road. I don't know if it will have a street entrance, but with the dip in elevation that may not really be feasible.

There does seem to be signs that it might be a 3 story building now; the "roof" they are working on now looks more like a mid-floor level than a proper roof as I said above.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 5:05 PM

Quote:
The part of that document that I suspect will never happen is the residential units behind the newer buildings fronting the trail.
Phase two of 214 Main consists of townhouses backing against the trail.

I think 214 Main is quite poorly designed though. It's not very attractive with its odd mix of colours and materials along the front. No entrances from the street is also strange. I think it also would have worked a lot better as a 3-4 storey building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces