HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
It's a thing, and suburbia isn't just "Ryan Homes".

This is suburbia, not too far from Manhattan, with frequent rail service and walkable town centers. Lots of people have second homes (and horses) here. No tract homes, anywhere:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.1901...7i13312!8i6656
But this is meant to be a simulacrum of a rural landscape, not suburbia, whether or not the Census Bureau includes it in a CMSA.

That’s why it’s so absurd when West Coast forumers get their panties in a twist about LA or wherever being denser on a metro area basis, because they are engaged in an apples vs oranges comparison of some god awful subdivision in San Bernardino with rural Connecticut.

The Census Bureau definitions just don’t work on the East Coast. If Eurostat took the same approach there would be CMSA’s covering most of England, the Low Countries, Germany and eastern France.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Agreed.

And housing would be more affordable if old people would just hurry up and shuffle off this mortal coil... recycle all of that capital.

Agreed.

Spoken like a true banker.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 2:53 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
It's a thing, and suburbia isn't just "Ryan Homes".

This is suburbia, not too far from Manhattan, with frequent rail service and walkable town centers. Lots of people have second homes (and horses) here. No tract homes, anywhere:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.1901...7i13312!8i6656
I've been to New Canaan...not exactly that close either. I'd hate to have to commute back and forth everyday but I can see where someone from Manhattan would want a second place there for the weekends. It's a lovely area.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 3:06 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
I don't know a single person living in the city of Chicago who also owns a second residence in the burbs.

Of the few people I know who do own a second home, it's a lake cottage up in Wisconsin or over in Michigan.

Owning a second home in the burbs seems like the worst of both worlds.
Damn straight.

If you're gonna pay an Illinois property tax, you're gonna only pay it once.

Otherwise it's like getting fucked simultaneously in 2 holes. We don't need that. Second home should definitely be in another State (rental properties excluded)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 3:10 PM

In our modern politics I feel like everyone MUST be on one side. With Prop 13 I feel like everyone here has posted good points on both sides.

Rare issue indeed...

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 4:26 PM

I'm pretty sure it's the total opposite. Many rich suburbanites have second homes in the city.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 4:33 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
We would do the opposite. We live in the burbs but are contemplating buying a small condo in the city to be close to everything but maintaining our home here as a our primary residence. Having both, to me, is the getting best of both world.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 4:42 PM

Quote:
I don't know a single person living in the city of Chicago who also owns a second residence in the burbs.

Of the few people I know who do own a second home, it's a lake cottage up in Wisconsin or over in Michigan.

Just wait until our low fertility rate catches up with us. In Japan (fertility rate of 1.2) they're emptying out the countryside due to lack of medical services and all heading for Tokyo, leaving behind lots of empty houses, which could make for great summer homes for the urbanites in Tokyo. Same thing happening in Spain and France, a number of ghost towns in the making, and cheap 2nd homes for urban Parisians.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
Just wait until our low fertility rate catches up with us. In Japan (fertility rate of 1.2) they're emptying out the countryside due to lack of medical services and all heading for Tokyo, leaving behind lots of empty houses, which could make for great summer homes for the urbanites in Tokyo. Same thing happening in Spain and France, a number of ghost towns in the making, and cheap 2nd homes for urban Parisians.
Our demographic decline is not nearly as pronounced and is still quite a ways off for the USA

Major population decline (assuming trends remain the same) outside of some catastrophic plague wont be a problem in the USA until most of us are dead.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 6:54 PM

My girlfriend and I recently went on "vacation" to the suburbs and stayed overnight at my parents house when they were out of town. I could see being rich and having a place in a nice pre-war bedroom community to spend some relaxing summer nights on a quiet patio.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
We would do the opposite. We live in the burbs but are contemplating buying a small condo in the city to be close to everything but maintaining our home here as a our primary residence. Having both, to me, is the getting best of both world.
That makes no sense if you work in the city though.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
And there’s nothing wrong with that. There will just be tons of places like the Hamptons, which are pretty quiet during the week (even in summer) and busy and cosmopolitan on the weekends, when New Yorkers go to the beach and leave Manhattan to the tourists.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
Agreed.

Spoken like a true banker.
https://www.theweek.co.uk/london-house-prices

Quote:
The Brexit deadlock was blamed for wiping £20,000 off the value of an average London property in a year, but another factor is the growing number of older homeowners staying put in larger homes and therefore preventing younger buyers from moving up the ladder.

Experts at Nationwide said more than half of homeowners are now living in “under occupied” properties with at least two spare bedrooms. Among the over-65s, more than two-thirds of homes have at least two spare bedrooms, a marked increase over the past two decades.
If you’ve been “retired” for more than 5-10 years, you are just a useless drain on resources and space.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 3:06 PM

Cool

Quote:

Yeah why anyone would have two personal residences in the State of Illinois is beyond me. I have a second home in the unincorporated Town of Wolf River Wisconsin. It's 3 hours on the dot from my house in Chicago and we bail out early on Fridays and spend as much time up there as possible.

Interestingly, as I've pointed out to Chicago forumers on multiple occasions, the taxes on this:

Are higher than on a six unit corner unit building I own in Chicago that's worth 3X+ as much:

Bonus, sunsets on the river are great:

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 5:31 PM

Quote:
https://www.theweek.co.uk/london-house-prices

If you’ve been “retired” for more than 5-10 years, you are just a useless drain on resources and space.
What if you provide valuable babysitting services for your grandkids, comrade?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
What if you provide valuable babysitting services for your grandkids, comrade?
Probably shouldn’t leave very young kids unsupervised with someone >75 anyway. And nannies are cheap relative to the probable non-monetary cost of getting grandma to come over.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 12:06 AM

Where all this angry against old people come from?

I really hate this extremist climate that took over society many countries in the Americas and Europe. Some hate immigrants, some hate LGBT, some hate white people, some hate old people.

Good old times when we had reasonable leaders from both right and left ruling the West. Now this whole part of the world looks like a big Weimar Germany.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Probably shouldn’t leave very young kids unsupervised with someone >75 anyway. And nannies are cheap relative to the probable non-monetary cost of getting grandma to come over.
If you find a nanny cheaper than grandma, you probably shouldn't entrust your child with that person.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 1:09 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:

Holy Logan's Run. You sound like an entitled millennial rebelling.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Holy Logan's Run. You sound like an entitled millennial rebelling.
Logan's Run with a bit of Soylent Green thrown in for the taste.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions