HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 3:02 PM

Thankfully this one is looking better and better.

20170605_143217 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 8:54 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Thankfully this one is looking better and better.

20170605_143217 by Jonovision23, on Flickr
There is nothing that can be done to this building to restore the character that existed on this street. It's a real shame that such character buildings can be demolished with little opposition. We have / had something very unique in this city with such an array of quality architecture. To dismiss this asset in favour of the blandest of architecture is so misguided.

Hopefully we learned a lesson from this great loss and someone can step up to the plate and save the rest of this block from impending boring architecture.

The ex-Elmwood Hotel at this link is the next on the chopping block...hard to imagine.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.64001...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
There is nothing that can be done to this building to restore the character that existed on this street. It's a real shame that such character buildings can be demolished with little opposition.

You realize, don't you, that the original structures were lost in a massive fire?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 2:22 AM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
You realize, don't you, that the original structures were lost in a massive fire?
I do. They weren't lost, they were damaged.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Don't get my wrong. I wish the old brick townhouses were still there. They are by far better than this.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 6:42 PM

Quote:
I was just about to post the same thing.

Basically they were abandoned, and allowed to do so.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 7:04 PM

I was wondering about how much damage was actually sustained in the fire. I recall the news articles about it generally stated that the buildings were destroyed by fire, but then the exterior appearance doesn't look all that bad in this youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egZMZcawEpU

Of course, the exterior view doesn't show the potential structural damage the could have occurred, so I don't know what to say about it really. Anybody ever see an actual assessment of the damage?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 7:39 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 7:42 PM
Honored Member

From what I remember reading, there were no firewalls between the units as there are now, so the units shared floor joists, which allowed the fire to spread from one unit to the next.

To meet current fire codes the units would probably have had to be rebuilt from scratch, however, I think that a more vintage look with real brick with nice bow windows would have fit the neighbourhood better.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
From what I remember reading, there were no firewalls between the units as there are now, so the units shared floor joists, which allowed the fire to spread from one unit to the next.

To meet current fire codes the units would probably have had to be rebuilt from scratch, however, I think that a more vintage look with real brick with nice bow windows would have fit the neighbourhood better.
Sounds like the structural damage had the propensity to be severe. I suspect, though, that if the fire hadn't occurred these buildings would still be standing today.

But, yes, I agree a more vintage look, if done properly, would have been preferable given the context of the neighborhood. Problem is, though, that most builders seem to not want to spend the money to do it properly. Lots of faux-heritage attempts have been made that look 'faux' rather than 'heritage'... but I agree that at least using 'real' brick would have been preferable to the prefab concrete "bricks" that have been installed.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
But, yes, I agree a more vintage look, if done properly, would have been preferable given the context of the neighborhood. Problem is, though, that most builders seem to not want to spend the money to do it properly. Lots of faux-heritage attempts have been made that look 'faux' rather than 'heritage'... but I agree that at least using 'real' brick would have been preferable to the prefab concrete "bricks" that have been installed.
That's all on HRM for not requiring anything other than what the developer chose to construct.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
That's all on HRM for not requiring anything other than what the developer chose to construct.
Agreed completely.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 10:40 PM

I remember when this first surfaced, it was to be called "The Wallis".

I take it that name is no longer to be applied to this?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but HRM can't win. If they get strict and specific people yell at them for "not being flexible and pretending they know better than developers who do this day in and day out". If they don't get strict they get blamed for allowing crappy buildings.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Yeah, but HRM can't win. If they get strict and specific people yell at them for "not being flexible and pretending they know better than developers who do this day in and day out". If they don't get strict they get blamed for allowing crappy buildings.
That's all well and good, but at the end of the day HRM is responsible to its citizens as a whole and not to individuals, such as the development community. Therefore they need to take leadership and define how the city will grow, and building quality should be part of that.

It seems like HRM is afraid to take a stand and take control of the process, in the apparent fear that the developers will "take their ball and go home". What they don't seem to get is that the developers still want to make money, and if that involves making less money in order to abide by a strong set of rules and regulations, they will still do it as it's better than not doing business at all.

If they decide that they don't want to abide by the rules, then other developers will step in and take their place - it's a free market after all. I'm hearing that it is done that way in other places, so there's no reason to believe it won't work here.

As far as I'm concerned, if HRM stepped up and demanded higher quality developments then it would be considered a 'win', even if the developers whined about it.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 12:54 AM
Salty Town

-

Last edited by Empire; Nov 27, 2017 at 10:52 PM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 3:11 PM

I was in Lunenburg on the weekend for the Heritage House tour, it is incredible the amount of historic houses in the downtown, of course Old Town Lunenburg, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, something that Halifax could never be.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
I was in Lunenburg on the weekend for the Heritage House tour, it is incredible the amount of historic houses in the downtown, of course Old Town Lunenburg, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, something that Halifax could never be.
I would have liked to attend that event, but unfortunately had other things going on. Lunenburg is quite unique in its preservation, which likely wouldn't have happened if it had become a growing city.

We are very fortunate to have Lunenburg as a UNESCO site.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 6:31 PM

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 3:27 PM
Fizzix geek

The south side is looking better, but I cannot get myself past the glaring mismatch in panel size on the west side. It looks horrible, and I can't think of any good rationale for that needing to be other than laziness of design.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth