HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 8:03 PM
It's a nickname from work

Looks like this is gonna be the Emblem building... or just Emblem?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 8:07 PM
Ham-burgher

Emblem is the developer. "1 Jarvis" is the name of the condo.
https://www.1jarvis.com/
http://www.emblemdevcorp.com/

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 10:11 PM

They quickly launched and started construction on their first development in Mississauga. Although they are new to the development scene, Emblem seems well heeled by private investors and eager to move fast. So hopefully this starts construction shortly.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 1:47 PM

They also ran a two page spread in the January edition of the Toronto Life magazine. All for this development, but not sure of views they would be selling interested buyers, any north ones are basically site lines to KiWi

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 3:22 PM

216 of the 354 units are 1 beds. They are targeting investors who will rent the units out, so the views don't matter much to the buyers.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
216 of the 354 units are 1 beds. They are targeting investors who will rent the units out, so the views don't matter much to the buyers.
I got an email from them for marketing and it was horrific. I responded to them with feedback about it, it was so bad. It was clearly being advertised as an investment property either to international students or to rent out to international students.

Compared to KiWi which offered highlights of local businesses and offered gift cards to some of them to get people moving in ready to join the culture of downtown, Jarvis feels cold, calculated and not aimed at people who plan to live and interact with Hamilton.

The times provided are disingenuous at best too. 50 minutes by transit to DT Toronto? Try 1 hour and 50 minutes from this location, though it seems the 50 minutes may have been for ... Driving to Toronto, despite being under transit? 4 minute drive to grocery? Why not walk to Denningers or Nations?

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 3:58 PM
Ham-burgher

Entertainments... specialized in Engineer... Mohowk... Niagara Fall

Professional.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Entertainments... specialized in Engineer... Mohowk... Niagara Fall

Professional.
I noticed after I criticized their marketing material someone from the marketing agency looked me up on LinkedIn as well lmao. Also KTV? Who goes there??

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 4:35 PM

Pricelist

Hi everyone,

Here is their initial pricelist and sample floorplate.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 4:36 PM

I like Green Area, tell me more!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 4:44 PM

Small unit sizes, especially for Hamilton. Pricing is affordable though, $700-$750/ft. Thats about 40% less than typical new build Toronto pricing, and cheaper than almost anything else in the GTA. Even Mississauga goes in the $900/ft range right now.

Are we sure that marketing is from the actual developer and not a broker? Broker marketing packages are often hack jobs like that, and every official piece of marketing I've seen looks pretty slick.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 5:33 PM

Marketing Material

Yes it's 100% from the developer. Here's a general overview of how it works.

The developer hires a sales company to sell their project. Usually the big Toronto developers hire either Milborne, or Baker (the two largest condo sales firms), or some smaller company like The Condo Store, Condo Culture, etc, or sometimes even some random Joe Blow sales company like CondoSalesMarketing Corp (I made that up) to do the work.

In this case, Milborne was hired as the sales team and these sales teams charge between 7-10% of the sales price for the contract and primarily provide admin services. https://milborne.com

Next, since these sales companies are only sales people they have to outsource all the actual marketing work to a legitimate marketing company who comes up with the concept, branding, design, website, digital marketing, etc. For this project they hired: http://www.thebrandfactory.com/

Once all the marketing material is created the sales company reaches out to all their "VIP" agents to sell the project and offers them 4% commission with some other incentives at times. They will give them an idea of the pricing, such as starting from the mid 300s, etc.

These VIP agents then proceed to email blast their buyer databases with details of the project in order to try to get them to fill out worksheets.

The Sales company will then release prices to these agents, but tells them that they are only allowed to show buyers on their existing client lists, and are not allowed to eblast them until a specific date. (In this case, the date is Feb 18th). Due to the competitive nature of real estate and most agents being scumbags, they often break the rules and do whatever they can to get a sale/client. In this case, one of these Agents blasted out the pricelist preemptively (It has since been deleted from their drive, likely due to a scolding from the Sales team(Milborne)). I took a screen shot of them before they were deleted.

These agents also flood the internet with crappy knockoff websites and google ads pretending they are the developer in order to fool people into registering on their websites. Google 1 jarvis, and you'll see 20+ imitation websites with stupid names like (my1jarviscondos, 1-jarviscondoshamilton, onejarvishamilton, etc).

Basically the whole pre-con industry is a ponzi sceme filled with a bunch of middle men all taking a cut, which ultimate leads to a roughly 10% unnecessary cost on all of the units. Without all these stupid layers of sales people and admin the actual price of the cheapest unit there would be closer to 300k, and that includes all of the developers profit.

So to answer your initial question, Yes, they are legitimate mrketing materials. lol

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 5:45 PM

I understand that. My question was if it was one of the low level brokers that made it or the actual marketing company (the brand factory in this case).

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 6:24 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I got an email from them for marketing and it was horrific. I responded to them with feedback about it, it was so bad. It was clearly being advertised as an investment property either to international students or to rent out to international students.

Compared to KiWi which offered highlights of local businesses and offered gift cards to some of them to get people moving in ready to join the culture of downtown, Jarvis feels cold, calculated and not aimed at people who plan to live and interact with Hamilton.

The times provided are disingenuous at best too. 50 minutes by transit to DT Toronto? Try 1 hour and 50 minutes from this location, though it seems the 50 minutes may have been for ... Driving to Toronto, despite being under transit? 4 minute drive to grocery? Why not walk to Denningers or Nations?
it DOES take 45-50 mins to take the go bus to downtown toronto for the record, so that's not disingenuous. I've done it many times.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
it DOES take 45-50 mins to take the go bus to downtown toronto for the record, so that's not disingenuous. I've done it many times.
It depends on the time of day, and I'll admit I've not made the trip too many times, but this is the speed according to Google Maps right now arriving at Union at 9:00AM.

However if you bicycle to West Harbour in 8 minutes then Go Train for 1h17m it's only 1.5 hours.

Perhaps the Go Bus is quicker when it runs normally?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 7:03 PM
Hamilton Historian

Dunno - I am coming from the east end and the most its ever taken me to get to union station, at any time of day, was an hour - 15 mins to bus it from my place to go station downtown, and 45 mins to bus it. *shrugs*

express train would be the same speed regardless, as would train with all stops, due to no traffic - so even if you went to aldershot first and then took the train, it's still gonna be fast.

probably takes longer taking the train, and if you don't take an express route bus or train, as then it stops at all the stops - but generally, it's a pretty fast ride considering

Last edited by Chronamut; Feb 10, 2021 at 7:19 PM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 7:07 PM
Forever forward.

The GO Bus has been basically cancelled for the past year, with only one bus running per day, at 30 after Midnight, from our GO Centre to Union. In my view, it's pretty obvious Metrolinx is only running that one bus per day so they can claim that they're running service on all routes during the pandemic. I have also read that they've long been looking for an excuse to reduce or cancel the 16 and push those commuters onto the train at Aldershot instead. I'm not sure about the accuracy of that allegation, but I don't discount it.

In normal times, that bus route is extremely convenient and does usually take between 45 and 60 minutes depending on traffic... but with it gone, you're looking at least 1 and 1/2 hours to get to Toronto.

As for this project, I've seen no less than fifteen "AAA+ VVIP Exclusive Units For Sale" websites for it, or more accurately, dozens of realtors setting up individual websites that tend to look like an official developer website. I wouldn't put much water in anything other than the official Emblem-ran website, which is 1jarvis.com.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 7:12 PM

My understanding is that prior to the pandemic metrolinx had planned to introduce all day service to West Harbour last fall after the track work between Aldershot and West Harbour finished up. Covid has obviously put that on hold, but as ridership returns (likely this summer and fall), it will likely be instituted. I can see Metrolinx cancelling the express bus at that point, or making heavy revisions to its service pattern.

Metrolinx has also made several improvements to the Lakeshore West corridor over the last year that have resulted in faster travel times. Local trains make the trip in 1:05 from Aldershot today, instead of 1:10 prior to the pandemic. It takes trains 2 minutes less to travel from West Harbour to Aldershot as well.

Presuming that express trips cut 13 minutes from the travel time like they did pre-pandemic, West Harbour peak travel times will be in the range of 1:04 to Union. This will also continue to improve, it will likely fall below 1:00 in a few years. I know Metrolinx is finishing up work resignalling the USRC which will cut a few more minutes off, and the Lakeshore lines are planned to use the new platform at Union that Metrolinx is about to start building, which will feature much much faster track speeds. There are other upgrades along the line in order to improve zone speeds underway as well.

Last edited by Innsertnamehere; Feb 10, 2021 at 7:23 PM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 7:21 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
My understanding is that prior to the pandemic metrolinx had planned to introduce all day service to West Harbour last fall after the track work between Aldershot and West Harbour finished up. Covid has obviously put that on hold, but as ridership returns (likely this summer and fall), it will likely be instituted. I can see Metrolinx cancelling the express bus at that point, or making heavy revisions to its service pattern.
I've been going to and from mississauga every month for ortho treatment and yeah - I just take the bus to altershot and then the train- still runs fairly regularly

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 10:59 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Jeebus those are micro condos! Definitely aimed at students or single people.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton