HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
That building is beyond tacky and I can only imagine the kind of people who bought there.
Do you consider the many old buildings in Paris with this similar look to be tacky as well?

Assuming this is using real brick/stone and there's no stucco, this will be a great looking building.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Do you consider the many old buildings in Paris with this similar look to be tacky as well?

Assuming this is using real brick/stone and there's no stucco, this will be a great looking building.
Well they did not use real brick and stone. However, looking at it on Google maps it is very pretty. If there were a couple blocks of buildings like that, Hamilton or Oakville for that matter would be very interesting.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 7:29 PM

I agree, to each their own. I'm just not a fan of Disneyland/Mainland China knock offs of historic European buildings. I'm not against historically influenced architecture. I just don't enjoy pastiche copycat architecture. Your building shouldn't look like you went to Home Depot and bought every column and piece of decorative trim you could find and applied it to the facade. That doesn't make good historically contextual architecture.

We should expect some originality. And no obviously I don't think buildings in Paris are tacky, because they're real, and in Paris. There is a massive difference between going to Paris and copying Parisian architecture somewhere else.

The Randall looks like something you'd find here:

Plus it looks like The Randall is almost finished. Even a few million bucks in Oakville still gets you a precast/stucco building with awkward punched vents that never made it into the render.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.44844...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 7:38 PM

Those are the definition of trashy suburban developments. There's one in downtown Burlington that makes me cringe every time I see it.

Stucco on stucco on stucco. Random mishmashes of design elements thrown on for the hell of it. Vaugely "European" in the broadest and most unoriginal sense. They're the McMansions of condo developments.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 7:43 PM

Not to get more off topic but I think there are way more subtle and interesting ways you can do modern yet historically influenced architecture than something like The Randall.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 7:51 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
I agree, to each their own. I'm just not a fan of Disneyland/Mainland China knock offs of historic European buildings. I'm not against historically influenced architecture. I just don't enjoy pastiche copycat architecture. Your building shouldn't look like you went to Home Depot and bought every column and piece of decorative trim you could find and applied it to the facade. That doesn't make good historically contextual architecture.

We should expect some originality. And no obviously I don't think buildings in Paris are tacky, because they're real, and in Paris. There is a massive difference between going to Paris and copying Parisian architecture somewhere else.

The Randall looks like something you'd find here:

Plus it looks like The Randall is almost finished. Even a few million bucks in Oakville still gets you a precast/stucco building with awkward punched vents that never made it into the render.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.44844...7i13312!8i6656
Under that logic - no roman architecture should have ever been used by anyone ever after the collapse of rome, or any elements taken. Design should never evolve or aspects of the past never be reused.

Because let's face it - ALL architecture for the past 2000 years or so has been influenced by greco-roman design, INCLUDING paris.

Also as per the home depot comment - it's one reason I hate a lot of the modern buildings because all they ever seem to want is coloured glass, sharp angles, metal and stucco. It just feels like our "modern" look is actually starting to look dated. The style sure doesn't last as long.. stone.. as mentioned above, has been used for over 2000 years in architecture, and is rather timeless.

also most of your examples are simply bland. I'll give you the white and black one cuz it looks okay, and even the black brick one as it has some nice aesthetic looks but the brick with the windows punched in it just feels soviet era, and the grey one at the end makes me sick inside from an aesthetic point of view. That's why old brick buildings had stone lintels - both for structure and for aesthetic appeal. Stone is timeless, and imo some aspect of it should be applied to every brick building out there, or you're left with some very 80s goliath looking buildings like the building by the downtown bus stop.

Also I kinda hate how the solution to "modernize" something old or old looking is just to paint elements black.

Imo most "modern" is just a way of saying "we want to be cheap and not invest in any sort of design elements to make this building stand out" - I mean for gods sake even something such as a decorative CORNICE can add beautiful design appeal - look at the king william strip!

We've gotten, cheap, lazy, and we've lost our artisan craftsmanship talents. It reflects on us well as a civilization. Everything building wise that makes hamilton worth looking at quite frankly is old. Nobody comes to see condos, or office buildings. Our new architecture that isn't combining with an existing old building is imo, rather uninspired. Sure there are a few exceptions, but for the most part, it's just rather sad.

I do agree with you though on the punched vents that never make it into the render - that ruined the look of the building in the end imo, and the fact they didn't even try to incorporate it into the design like they did with the ones under the awnings - they didn't even center them! Although that is what happens when an architect designs it, and then the people who do the work say "well we need vents so we'll be punching them in here here and here" - someone didn't do a good design render because they most likely didn't have the background in architectural technology as well, which is what I have, which teaches you what you need utilities wise, where you need them, and how big and how many. Contrary to popular belief, the architects don't do all the work - they do the design - the technologists design everything utility wise within it, calculate the loads, design the hvac lighting and plumbing etc.

Last edited by Chronamut; May 7, 2018 at 8:32 PM.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 7:56 PM

Lol wow ^ There is a pretty big difference between taking influence and mimicry. There are ways you can design a building to be historically contextual without being literal. Sure architects all over the world have taken influence from other styles and countries, but they used materials and skills which were local. They were constructed under different building codes and requirements and as a result aren't total copies. The buildings as a result are often a combination of the style they're seeking to replicate, and the local building typology. The Landed Bank and Loan building at Main and James is a good example of this.

If I want mimicry I'll go to the world showcase at Epcot in Florida.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 8:13 PM
Hamilton Historian

Pretty much every government centre built in the roman style is mimicry of ancient rome.

Also few materials are locally sourced anymore. I do agree that materials should be locally sourced though.

Also if you quarry the same way, place the buildings together in the same way, and the buildings look the same, it's not inspired, it's mimicry.

And there is nothing wrong with mimicry. The best things are copied. Sure, you can add your own flair if you want to, but noone says you HAVE to. If something looks great the way it is, then why change it?

It's the entire reason "revival" design eras existed. Renaissance, gothic revival, etc. It happens in fashion, it happens in architecture.

I actually respect the cities of old, because an entire city was planned in one style - now we have a hodgepodge of styles and it feels like we really don't know WHAT we want to be - we don't have an architectural identity moving forward, and it's the same in many places in the world - we have all these global influences that we really don't focus on what our local style wants to be. Ideally that is what the city planning dept. is supposed to do is provide a unified structured vision for the city.

Oakville tends to be upscale - they still have somewhat of a style. I respect them for that, even if you think their style is tacky or gauche or disney like.

Last edited by Chronamut; May 7, 2018 at 9:05 PM.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
Personal opinion my friend - you like glassy and modern - some of us like elegant and traditional.
Exactly, I think this building is gorgeous. I also love all glass modern buildings. Both can be beautiful, totally different style. And if I had a few million dollars, I'd love to own a condo there. I could only imagine what the fees will be, $3000 a month!?

I just noticed the vents on the outside though, kind of takes away from the look. Why can't they hide the vents better?

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 10:36 PM

I am an absolute lover of minimalist modernism. But there is a serious lack of anything with substance in terms of artistic classical architecture. Every single home and building had beautiful cornices and flare on the windows and doors, and edges of the buildings. Hamilton's 100 year old buildings have the beauty and complexity of Davinci, while the modern buildings have the simplicity and edges of Piet Mondrian.

But we only have the latter. Some style and class would be nice in any architecture. Why don't we build churches like the old ones, why do none of our buildings use columns? It is so cheap and utilitarian now. Sometimes that is nice, but some pizazz would be cool.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Why can't they hide the vents better?
Probably because jamming modern mechanical and HVAC into a Disneyland design requires you to bust some holes through the facade. Most developers are cheap and will stretch their dollar as far as they can go. Even something as fancy looking as The Randall is just clad in precast and foam. The person who called it a McMansion version of a condo has it exactly right. Built as cheaply as possible to look as expensive as possible.

I think it's really funny that people think I only like modern glassy designs. I like historic architecture and I like modern buildings that look old. I just think the Randall looks tacky and is cheaply built.

Also I don't need the patronizing art history lesson tyvm. What makes me sick is your useless pandering in threads. Like did you actually request someone to post pics in the 10 James North thread? Go out and take some yourself.

I just think we're capable of better buildings than this:

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 10:48 PM

More importantly; Yall are kidding yourselves if you think the developer is going to propose anything remotely similar to The Randall on King William.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 2:58 AM
Hamilton Historian

Well why don't you propose for us then a classical design look you think would be worthy of the spot then, if you don't like the randall?

Something other than the minimalist brick designs you posted above. I am curious to see what kind of traditional architecture you like, and doesn't feel is tacky.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
Well why don't you propose for us then a classical design look you think would be worthy of the spot then, if you don't like the randall?

Something other than the minimalist brick designs you posted above. I am curious to see what kind of traditional architecture you like, and doesn't feel is tacky.
Been lurking in this thread and might suggest an answer, as I've grappled with this question myself.

Woodsworth College at the UofT incorporates old houses but also references the materials (wood,metals,brick,stone) and incorporates modern glass and massing. The result is, to me, a certain timelessness, or the sensation of bridging many architectural eras. I absolutely love it in there; the details are superb.

It was designed in the early '90s, I believe and, to me, represents the perfect fusion of old and new architecture. It's undeniably modern and doesn't try to imitate any historical structure, but shuns the minimalism and almost effort - lacking feel of so much built today - including its baAnaAl architectsAlliance-designed neighbour of a residence tower.

Quick tour: http://www.bartonmyers.com/WOOD_03.htm

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 5:24 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by savevp View Post
Been lurking in this thread and might suggest an answer, as I've grappled with this question myself.

Woodsworth College at the UofT incorporates old houses but also references the materials (wood,metals,brick,stone) and incorporates modern glass and massing. The result is, to me, a certain timelessness, or the sensation of bridging many architectural eras. I absolutely love it in there; the details are superb.

It was designed in the early '90s, I believe and, to me, represents the perfect fusion of old and new architecture. It's undeniably modern and doesn't try to imitate any historical structure, but shuns the minimalism and almost effort - lacking feel of so much built today - including its baAnaAl architectsAlliance-designed neighbour of a residence tower.

Quick tour: http://www.bartonmyers.com/WOOD_03.htm
It's interesting.. sorta reminds me in some ways of the I-wing at mohawk college.. I do believe a fusion has merit.

Generally I tend to be happy if there is some sort of molded or carved element somewhere outside or inside of the building. Some artistic statement.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 9:22 PM

Check Streetview from earlier post, nothing worth saving on this site. The Goodwill building on opposite side would make a great conversion though. Fun debate ... guess a couple more sleeps before we get to see what the developer has in mind.

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Probably because jamming modern mechanical and HVAC into a Disneyland design requires you to bust some holes through the facade. Most developers are cheap and will stretch their dollar as far as they can go. Even something as fancy looking as The Randall is just clad in precast and foam. The person who called it a McMansion version of a condo has it exactly right. Built as cheaply as possible to look as expensive as possible.

I think it's really funny that people think I only like modern glassy designs. I like historic architecture and I like modern buildings that look old. I just think the Randall looks tacky and is cheaply built.

Also I don't need the patronizing art history lesson tyvm. What makes me sick is your useless pandering in threads. Like did you actually request someone to post pics in the 10 James North thread? Go out and take some yourself.

I just think we're capable of better buildings than this:
Yaya, you have a shitty attitude. I fully understand why you were banned from the Royal Connaught. Based on your exchanges with chronamut, joey Coleman, and hamilton_23 you think you are more valuable and knowledgeable than others here...tone it down a bit.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 9:42 PM
It's Hammer Time

Looks like it'll be 14 floors instead of six floors.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 10:19 PM

Apologies for the quality, room was dark and I was at a weird angle.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 10:40 PM
It's Hammer Time

Yes, curvelicious

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton