HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 3:15 PM

The new building will look like the previous proposed design - the one with the curtain wall. They are still hammering out the specs of the final glazing.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 1:18 AM
Hamilton Historian

They appear to be up to grade now on this project. Still working on stuff in the basement though.

Also I really hope they change the final design as their proposed design does not match ANYTHING in that gore park area, with the pooossible exception of the bank building on the corner of king and james.. currently it sticks out like a sore thumb..

I've also coined a new word for their design - glaziness. This is the downtown core - only the best designs should be allowed. No generic curtain wall designs that could be filler for any part of the city. The last design was a failure - and knocked down a stunning piece of architecture to build. Our modern aspirations should not be to aim low and build cheap and modular looking. Even the other skyscrapers along this street have some element of concrete or stone in them.

Even toronto gussies it up a bit when it comes to pure curtain wall. Look at this beauty they are in the process of building. The diamond shapes (whose outlines also light up) are EVERYTHING on this building, as is the lack of visible seams. What I love about this design is it understands that this building is meant to LOOK big, and be seen from far away - and thus the design elements on it should equally as big to match the building. We seem to very much visibly lack innovation when it comes to structures such as these. George st was a nice touch but we need more like that.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...ticle30395473/

it's also a rich deep blue irl - the pics don't do it justice - and just looks STUNNING.

Last edited by Chronamut; Jul 29, 2020 at 1:47 AM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 1:28 AM

Shouldn't really compare that huge, costly Toronto project to a 5 story office in Hamilton

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 2:05 AM

Somehow I don’t think that the lease rates in Hamilton are $65-70/ft like they are in Toronto for commercial space..

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 2:13 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
Shouldn't really compare that huge, costly Toronto project to a 5 story office in Hamilton
Haha not saying it has to be - but there is still a lot of style you can incorporate into a 5 story building. That particular project just showed off the more grandiose possibilities of working with curtain wall.

Or just.. not build a 5 story building - the building across the street from it on the same side of the road is much much bigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Somehow I don’t think that the lease rates in Hamilton are $65-70/ft like they are in Toronto for commercial space..
Well if we keep inviting torontonians to live here and jacking up our prices they may one day be

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
They appear to be up to grade now on this project. Still working on stuff in the basement though.
At grade indeed!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 1:04 AM
Forever forward.

Ground floor slab poured. Upwards from here on out!

Pictures from this afternoon.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 3:29 PM
Hamilton Historian

Yeah I was watching the other day as they were pouring the elevator shaft

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 5:45 PM

Taken this morning:

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 1:45 PM
Hamilton Historian

woohoo - progression!

Olympia club looks great in the distance

I also like how the old bank building on this side of the street to the right mirrors the colonnaded rooftop look of the olympia club.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 12:41 AM
Forever forward.

Angles are starting to show up in the steelwork.

Pictures taken this afternoon:

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 6:48 PM

Taken Saturday Morning:

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 10:23 PM
Hamilton Historian

I will admit I can't think of many instances where angled steel has been used in the construction like that in this city - so while I am ho-hum on - well not the design itself I guess just its placement in the core - I feel something a little more brilliant should have gone there design wise - I am impressed in that regard structurally.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 1:52 AM
Ham-burgher

Brilliant? This is probably the most brilliant thing that has happened along the south side of King since AGH was renovated.

Judgment should definitely be reserved until the final product, but it looks like they're following the plan.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 3:19 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Brilliant? This is probably the most brilliant thing that has happened along the south side of King since AGH was renovated.

Judgment should definitely be reserved until the final product, but it looks like they're following the plan.
What does that say about the left side then if THIS is the most brilliant thing they have come up with, when liuna and core urban are KILLING it on the other side..?

Let's not set our standards too low here.. it's a glass box. Regardless of how they change it, it's going to remain a glass box.

look familiar? It's at mcmaster. A building like this is ok and acceptable at mcmaster.

Now compare.

They have basically just put a jagged facade on the exact same building. A building like this is ok anywhere else in the city, and I will reserve judgement until the end, but I just am amazed it passed considering it does not keep consistency with the design elements of literally everything around it - which has some element of stone or concrete all along this side. I get it was approved as a "facelift" to the existing building - but when they demolished it they had no reason to stay with the existing structures elements.

I dunno, I know it's just my opinion, but it irks me. Maybe itll be nicer inside - it's one thing hamilton has going for it is that a lot of dodgy places have beautiful interiors. I went by it today and they seem to be going for some mezzanine second floor stuff.. or maybe it just hasn't been finished yet. We shall see.

I should reiterate that I don't necessarily have an issue with the design ITSELF - these types are needed as infill throughout the city - I have an issue with it being put in the gore which is supposed to highlight the most impressive building architectural styles (of their time) imo. Everything else on that side is impressive in its own way. If it's not design, then it's height - and this one has neither. Mind you - their new philosophy that "no new buildings should prevent sunlight from entering gore park 50 years from now" might have attributed to a handicap in height...

and I know I know, I'm venting.. vent over.

Last edited by Chronamut; Sep 16, 2020 at 3:50 AM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 2:10 PM

9/13/2020 by Joe, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 5:43 PM

9/30/2020 by Joe, on Flickr

9/30/2020[ by Joe, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 9:59 PM
Hamilton Historian

A pity that tree is covering up the work that is being done on the top floor in that pic..

It's nice they didn't cut the tree down though like they did the tree in front of acclamation..

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 12:27 AM

It never dawned on me the similarity to the Mac building on Main. I hope they stick to the darkened glass.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 4:57 PM

Taken this morning:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton