HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 8:09 PM

Popular East Hamilton Mexican eatery close their doors for good

Amy Kouniakis, November 2, 2020, in the hammer

A delicious Mexican restaurant in East Hamilton announced over the weekend that they would be closing permanently.

On their Facebook page, the owners of Vimex Corner, located at the corner of Main and Tuxedo, announced that as of Sunday (Nov. 1st), they would be closing their doors permanently.

“We’re really sorry that we didn’t let you know in advance because it’s really hard to say good bye,” the post shared on Saturday said.

“Our hearts are broken.”

Vimex has been a go-to for residents in the area for affordable, delicious and authentic Mexican eats for several years now.

Among favourite menu items are their poblano enchiladas, sopes, chimichangas and nachos (featured previously on Inthehammer’s Top 5 Nachos in Hamilton).

Patrons of the restaurant offered an outpouring of dismay and support for the owners who are just as well known for their kindness and impeccable service as they are for their incredible culinary creations.

“This is devastating news! I wish we would have known so that we could have said a proper goodbye. You guys are the sweetest couple and will be truly missed,” wrote one Facebook user, adding that: “Going to miss getting a personal call when my favourite special was being made.”

Throughout the pandemic, Vimex offered take-out and reopened for dine-in when it was safe to do so but it seems it wasn’t enough to keep things going.

“Thank you for all your supporting. We miss you all. Please stay safe, healthy and safe,” Vimex said in their farewell post.

“God bless Hamilton.”

https://quickbitenews.com/article/ha...PNbhmpKL5infqk

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 8:26 PM

In better news. I've heard rumours that Buca, a well know and high end Italian restaurant from Toronto is looking into opening somewhere in Hess village. I've also heard there are a few other restaurants looking to fill the vacant space along the street.

Hess and George is seriously changing. It won't be the same in 5 - 10 years

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
In better news. I've heard rumours that Buca, a well know and high end Italian restaurant from Toronto is looking into opening somewhere in Hess village. I've also heard there are a few other restaurants looking to fill the vacant space along the street.

Hess and George is seriously changing. It won't be the same in 5 - 10 years
Interesting. Buca seems a little too upmarket for Hess Village. They have a Yorkville location I believe.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 12:24 PM
Ham-burgher

Perhaps Hess Village will return to being a more classy strip of establishments again. Especially if the pandemic has long-term impacts on the club scene and market for bars that host large crowds.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonBoyInToronto View Post
Gallagers also has new windows and doors at street level now... looking good
Following up on this, the people behind Motel/Stardust are behind this. Someone who works for me who worked at Motel told me the basic theme, which I forget, but I'm sure they'll do a good job. Heard they were just waiting out Covid.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
Following up on this, the people behind Motel/Stardust are behind this. Someone who works for me who worked at Motel told me the basic theme, which I forget, but I'm sure they'll do a good job. Heard they were just waiting out Covid.
More info on that would be great! Bless the people behind Motel. They have started a lot of success along Barton and continue to expand!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 11:46 PM

Motel is great. They took a big chance on Barton and it appears to be paying off. Good for them. I wish them lots of success.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 4:39 PM

New restaurant UnDefined is coming soon to King William Street

urbancity.com 07 December 2020

Hamilton foodies, ready those bellies: a new restaurant experience is currently preparing to open its doors as part of King William Street’s famous Restaurant Row.

The restaurant is called UnDefined, and it has freshly been announced that this new food spot will be opening in the space at 35 King William Street which, until recently, housed elevated Italian eatery and pizzeria Frat’s Cucina.

This new restaurant, nestled between restaurant row staples Berkeley North and The French, is currently pretty thin on details regarding concept, menu, or even a firm opening date.

However, one thing that’s clear is that Hamilton’s food lovers will be in excellent hands at UnDefined since the brain behind it is none other than chef and restauranteur Michael Cipollo, best known for inventive comfort food staple HAMBRGR; conveniently, also a resident of Restaurant Row.

The restaurant is called UnDefined, and it has freshly been announced that this new food spot will be opening in the space at 35 King William Street which, until recently, housed elevated Italian eatery and pizzeria Frat’s Cucina.

This new restaurant, nestled between restaurant row staples Berkeley North and The French, is currently pretty thin on details regarding concept, menu, or even a firm opening date.

However, one thing that’s clear is that Hamilton’s food lovers will be in excellent hands at UnDefined since the brain behind it is none other than chef and restauranteur Michael Cipollo, best known for inventive comfort food staple HAMBRGR; conveniently, also a resident of Restaurant Row.

https://urbanicity.com/hamilton/eats...illiam-street/

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 7:19 PM

If anyone is hankering for soups to go (frozen, 1L) Rapscallion Rogue Eatery is providing today until 5pm. I just picked up several litres, and got to see all the construction sites in the downtown are on my way there and back. King William is looking particularly good! And when Cobalt gets built, that will be a hopping block.

Old Posted May 1, 2021, 4:11 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I’m at Nabil’s at the corner of York & James, and they’re still closed. (They’re supposed to be open by 12.) Does anyone know what’s going on?

Old Posted May 1, 2021, 5:27 PM

Taken on April 29, 2021

"That's my Jam Sandwiches" - Finally, someone is talking my language. Can't wait to get Jammin with these folks when it's JAM Time!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 4:34 PM

Cheesesteak chain coming to Hamilton next month

Posted by Nathan Sager Published August 25, 2021 insauga.com

A restaurant chain that has been expanding across southern Ontario is planning to open its first Hamilton location in the near future.

Philthy Philly’s, whose specialities are Philadelphia cheesesteaks and poutines, will be taking over the space at 15 Cannon St. E., downtown on James St. N. The windows of the currently vacant establishment say a location is coming soon and offer contact information for prospective employees. An Instragram post says they will open in September.

The chain has 14 locations in Ontario, mostly in Mississauga and Toronto, but has also spread east to Whitby, north to Barrie and west to Kitchener. It sources its sandwich rolls from the Amoroso Baking Company, which has roots in Philadelphia.

Cheesesteaks are traditionally made from thinly sliced pieces of beefsteak and melted cheese, or Cheez Whiz, in a long hoagie roll. Philthy’s does offer a chicken option on all of its cheesesteaks, which range in price from $6.99 to $15.59.

All of its poutines, which range from $5.59 to $16.49 (for a dish called The Ringer), can be ordered with gluten-free gravy.

The corner of Cannon East and James North was previously occupied by Pho Dui Bo, a Korean barbecue restaurant.

https://www.insauga.com/cheesesteak-...1GWdPzwvCf3aaE

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 4:57 PM

Are they related to Philthy McNasty's, or is that just a coincidence?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 5:24 PM

Pho Dui Bo is still there, it replaced Bulgogi or something. Never got to try it.

Glad another late night place is opening up, don't love the plaza in general though. Tivoli, and the two plazas are the only urban gaps along James N

Old Posted Oct 8, 2021, 1:25 AM
Ham-burgher

Had dinner at Undefined tonight. We shared the Korean fried cauliflower, and I had their 'kind of like a Caesar' with a piece of fried chicken ("Nashville" style = spicy) and my wife the pickerel and chips.

Quite tasty, and filling. And not too pricey either.

It may have been a slow night but the staff were excellent!

https://eatundefined.com/
https://goo.gl/maps/uw6jQkU5jNf7Krj19

Old Posted Oct 8, 2021, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Had dinner at Undefined tonight. We shared the Korean fried cauliflower, and I had their 'kind of like a Caesar' with a piece of fried chicken ("Nashville" style = spicy) and my wife the pickerel and chips.

Quite tasty, and filling. And not too pricey either.

It may have been a slow night but the staff were excellent!

https://eatundefined.com/
https://goo.gl/maps/uw6jQkU5jNf7Krj19
Best part for my partner and I was that they have food until super late. We are both late dinner types, and sometimes we also get a bit too excited with activities and realize it's pretty late but want dinner at like 11pm on a Saturday. Undefined is the only place that isn't fast food that has the kitchen open until 12am for the full menu.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2021, 2:00 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Best part for my partner and I was that they have food until super late. We are both late dinner types, and sometimes we also get a bit too excited with activities and realize it's pretty late but want dinner at like 11pm on a Saturday. Undefined is the only place that isn't fast food that has the kitchen open until 12am for the full menu.
That's great to know. The restaurant scene is pretty limited after 10 PM, in terms of entrees.

Our waiter was extremely friendly, and the manager (owner?) came out midway through our meal and we had a nice chat. I commented that with all the new condo and apartment buildings going up, it will bode well for business. They're excitedly watching Cobalt rise, but weren't aware of the other things proposed nearby.

Hopefully that larger market of restaurant patrons leads to longer kitchen hours, never mind more restaurants!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2021, 2:05 AM
Ham-burgher

I should also note that we originally tried 33 Bowen -- but they're not open yet, revamping the place.

Then we thought Industria would be a great choice, as we really enjoyed that before, but it was closed temporarily due to some unforeseen mechanical issue.

So we headed towards Gore Park (but the options are sparse around King and John; hopefully that changes) then King William, hence winding up at Undefined. It turned out to be a happy detour.

We're semi-regulars at places like The French, The Diplomat, and The Mule.
(but within walking distance of home to the Aberdeen Tavern, which is terrific, and the restaurants along Locke... I recommend CIMA, Brux House, and the Beasley House Bistro has amazing sandwiches; The Squire is a wonderful addition too, with a great menu; we regret that Souvlocke has closed though, it had really good food)

Old Posted Oct 8, 2021, 4:18 AM

Too bad about Souvlocke. We've not tried Brux House or CIMA actually yet. The other thing I love about undefined is that the menu seems to change regularly, where we've gone twice in the last 3 months and both times the menu was different, while places like the French and Diplomat are our backups because the food has been the same for 3 years and it's part of why we've only been around once per year.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2021, 11:51 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Too bad about Souvlocke. We've not tried Brux House or CIMA actually yet. The other thing I love about undefined is that the menu seems to change regularly, where we've gone twice in the last 3 months and both times the menu was different, while places like the French and Diplomat are our backups because the food has been the same for 3 years and it's part of why we've only been around once per year.
Souvlocke had a really nice back patio -- intimate, large trees.

I guess Undefined lives up to their name.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation