HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
As far as great pizza goes. If someone here wants to make a fortune, open a restaraunt with a coal fired pizza oven. As far as i know, you would be the only one in Canada.

Real Pizza, i.e. what you would find in Naples, Italy is cooked in open ovens using coal. It provides tremendous amounts of heat to cook it quickly and gives it a much better texture and less greasy flavor.
I think you need special permission from the government to burn coal.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 4:24 PM
It's Hammer Time

The best stone baked pizza I have found is in Niagara Falls. I'll probably pop over there soon and I'll snap a picture with my cell. It's so friggin good.

I'm a HUGE pizza lover myself. I could live on pizza.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 4:30 PM
Closed account

Good pizza spots:

Bronzies
Capri
Basilique
Aceti's

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 4:38 PM
It's Hammer Time

I don't think I need to tell you where I ate this from

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 4:42 PM
Closed account

Locke St!
Is that the Cheddar and Herb?? my fave.
I had that exact breakfast this morning too! Looks like neither of us have jobs! lol.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 4:54 PM
Closed account

^^ Ya, the red plastic basket gave it away!
I usually get the spinach bagel w/ Herb & Garlic CC... Mmmm

I had to suffer with a peice of crap, freezer-burnt Tim Horton's bagel today
Thanks for rubbin it in, Steeltown :p

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 5:14 PM

pepperjack cafe also has awesome eat in pizza, all made with local ingredients whenever possible.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 5:23 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcoote View Post
I think you need special permission from the government to burn coal.
Not to mention your insurance company.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 6:29 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC83 View Post
^^ Ya, the red plastic basket gave it away!
Haha I actually took one of their red basket lol bad bad me. I like making a wrap and then filling the basket with plain potato chips.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 7:58 PM

Black Forest Inn- King and Ferguson (IV) - My favourite German place in town and the best cordon Bleu's

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
Real Pizza, i.e. what you would find in Naples, Italy is cooked in open ovens using coal. It provides tremendous amounts of heat to cook it quickly and gives it a much better texture and less greasy flavor.
From my experience with past visits to Naples, I found that the open pizza ovens there were wood-burning.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 10:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
From my experience with past visits to Naples, I found that the open pizza ovens there were wood-burning.
Good for you.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 10:47 PM
Bobo in Purgatory

So far as I can tell, both wood and coal-fired pizza ovens are equally traditional and authentic in terms of the dish's Neapolitan origins.

Obviously in the past there would have been considerable advantages to using coal over wood, particularly in terms of higher heat production, greater availability, and lower cost. I don't even know if it's possible to buy coal commercially any more ...

"Coal-fired" also smacks of heavy industry and grime, not particularly appetizing connotations. I think "wood-fired" is much better from a marketing perspective.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 11:03 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Haha I actually took one of their red basket lol bad bad me. I like making a wrap and then filling the basket with plain potato chips.
hahaha that's jokes! Don't worry, I wont tell Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris k View Post
Black Forest Inn- King and Ferguson (IV) - My favourite German place in town and the best cordon Bleu's
omg, you're dead-on! I don't get out to too many german/austrian restos, but BFI's Chicken Cordon Bleu is prolly the best I have ever tasted ANYWHERE! Lucky for me, it's a 9 min walk down the street

As for coal-burning pizza parlours... hmm. I dunno. What would one call the place? The Nanticoke Smog-eria!? hahaha
Stick a 'wood fired pizza' beside a 'coal fired pizza' in a labelled box & sell them... I guarantee Canadians would buy 'wood fired' over 'coal fired' any day just b/c it seems more environmentally friendly.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 11:16 PM

just imagine the marketing...

Eat our pizza...get black lung!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 12:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RePinion View Post
So far as I can tell, both wood and coal-fired pizza ovens are equally traditional and authentic in terms of the dish's Neapolitan origins.

Obviously in the past there would have been considerable advantages to using coal over wood, particularly in terms of higher heat production, greater availability, and lower cost. I don't even know if it's possible to buy coal commercially any more ...

"Coal-fired" also smacks of heavy industry and grime, not particularly appetizing connotations. I think "wood-fired" is much better from a marketing perspective.
I beg to differ, all of the top pizzerias in NYC, Grimaldi's, Lombardi's, Totonno's, etc. all used coal fired ovens. It's their claim to fame and no other pizza joints can come close because the city allows no more coal ovens. The old restaraunts were grandfathered and would never convert to anything else. Trust me, when you try one you will know why.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 12:54 AM
Bobo in Purgatory

^ I never suggested that there was anything wrong with the pizzas as such. I'm sure they're delicious. But to a marketplace never exposed to the concept of "coal-fired" pizza (at least within living memory), the concept would surely seem strange and unappealing.

Perhaps this could be overcome by the merits of the final product, but who knows ...

I certainly have no objection to someone trying to make a go of it.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 3:10 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
I don't think I need to tell you where I ate this from

fortino's?? they have the best bagels...ooops.

there was an article in the gazette about that fiasco that i didn't bother posting. it made us look extremely pathetic. still don't know what that dumbass from fortino's was thinking.

i don't know if its been mentioned but YA MAN! is a great spot for caribbean cuisine. 315 king street east, international village - http://www.ya-man.ca

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 3:34 AM
Pro Urban Degenerate

I would go for a coal pizza over wood. Hamilton has plenty of coal too. Just scoop some from the mills and start a pizzeria.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RePinion View Post

The Neapolitan tradition is wood-fired. Coal-fired is a New World adaptation, first empoyed by Italian immigrants to NYC (coal being much cheaper an more accessible for NYC immigrants).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation