HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 3:21 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Probably unaffected. From what I've heard it's mostly international school (Columbia College) students in that building.
Even so, there are probably 2nd+ year students who would want a residence home. Some group up with friends to rent off-campus once they're deeper into their degree programs, but Mac's statements about the importance of 'every first year student being offered a spot in res' ignores that some may want to stay in res beyond that.

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Even so, there are probably 2nd+ year students who would want a residence home. Some group up with friends to rent off-campus once they're deeper into their degree programs, but Mac's statements about the importance of 'every first year student being offered a spot in res' ignores that some may want to stay in res beyond that.
I mean, I commuted to McMaster, but not because of the lack of student housing, it was mostly the cost savings and living in my parents mansion (compared to residence).

Some first years may not take residence. I think their goal is to give the option for first years, but in practice it will likely be used by other years as well.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 4:26 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I mean, I commuted to McMaster, but not because of the lack of student housing, it was mostly the cost savings and living in my parents mansion (compared to residence).

Some first years may not take residence. I think their goal is to give the option for first years, but in practice it will likely be used by other years as well.
Yes, I was just paraphrasing what was quoted in the Spec story. There will be those who don't want or need residence.

I was like you - lived "at home" and was a B-Line regular (back in those days it had a "bee" logo), then bought a car before grad school and used a Zone 6 parking pass.

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 1:18 PM

I don't know if The William Thomas will be completely unaffected by all of these student residences. The horror stories being shared in person and all over the internet aren't a good look. Some first year students might actually prefer living closer to Columbia and/or Mac too. I know William Thomas has both Mac and Columbia students living in there. If all of these proposed student residences get approved and built, I can see William Thomas becoming apartments for anyone.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 7:50 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton23 View Post
I don't know if The William Thomas will be completely unaffected by all of these student residences. The horror stories being shared in person and all over the internet aren't a good look. Some first year students might actually prefer living closer to Columbia and/or Mac too. I know William Thomas has both Mac and Columbia students living in there. If all of these proposed student residences get approved and built, I can see William Thomas becoming apartments for anyone.
I truly do believe that was the builders plan all along.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 3:15 AM

https://www.k-cap.com/project/mcmast...ent-residence/

for reference and renders that show more red brick than what has been shown in this thread

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 8:53 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

this got approved. amazingly.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
this got approved. amazingly.
When does it start!

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 12:20 AM

These appear to be the latest renders from https://www.k-cap.com/project/mcmast...ent-residence/

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 12:22 AM

No click on the link below - it's red brick now

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
https://www.k-cap.com/project/mcmast...ent-residence/

for reference and renders that show more red brick than what has been shown in this thread

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
No click on the link below - it's red brick now
Those are the same renders...

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 1:31 AM

My response made sense before - he posted older ones and asked if they were the most recent. He just edited what he said

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
My response made sense before - he posted older ones and asked if they were the most recent. He just edited what he said
Ahh, I apologize!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 1:45 PM

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 11:33 PM

TLDR: LPAT Resolution and approval likely in the next 8 weeks

Update from The Public Record

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 7:06 PM

From Joey Coleman"

"McMaster University and the City of Hamilton have reached a deal on the zoning for the new for-profit student housing McMaster plans at 1190 Main Street West.

Settlement hearing called by LPAT for December 9."

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 3:26 AM

https://www.thepublicrecord.ca/2020/...n-street-west/

McMaster University is taking the City of Hamilton to the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal (LPAT) claiming the City is failing to approve a Site Plan for its proposed for-profit student housing project at 1190 Main Street West.

The rare appeal claiming a failure by the City to approve a site plan within 30 days will likely be rendered moot in the coming months once McMaster’s zoning appeal is settled.

McMaster alleges the City is wrongly withholding Site Plan approval, and should have acted this summer as if the zoning for the development had been settled. The City is following its routines processes of not processing a Site Plan application which is not in compliance with the present zoning.

The root of the issue is the ongoing LPAT appeal which McMaster filed in early 2018 prior to changing to Ontario’s Planning Act which transitioned the Ontario Municipal Board into the LPAT. McMaster, and its private sector partner Knightstone Capital Management II Inc., filed their 2018 zoning non-approval appeal to have it heard under the old OMB rules which are more advantageous for developers.

Thousands of similar appeals to lock in OMB rules were filed across the province, causing a massive backlog at LPAT.

The City and McMaster have negotiated the past two-and-a-half years, and reached a settlement regarding the zoning for the property. The settlement is scheduled for consideration at a LPAT hearing on December 9th.

New Appeal Statement
In its appeal letter, dated July 29, 2020, McMaster’s lawyer alleges the City should process its Site Plan application because “As discussions regarding those appeals progress, our client would like to move forward with the Application and the detailed planning more appropriate for a site plan control application”.

The appeal grounds is explained in the next paragraph.

“Although there is no such mechanism under the Planning Act, by letter dated June 25, 2020, the City of Hamilton declared the Application complete and indicated the Application would be considered and reviewed by various city departments. However, by letter dated July 10, 2020, the City purported to deny the Application because the Application is allegedly premature pending resolution of the Rezoning Appeal, although the City’s letter did not indicate the Planning Act subsection under which it purported to deny the Application. In our view, there is no statutory or planning basis for the purported decision of the City.”

No hearing dates have been set in the appeal. Site Plan non-decision appeals are rare, and are often a negotiating tactic by the developer.

The City is expected to process the Site Plan application once the zoning appeal is settled and approved by the LPAT.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 1:43 PM

McMaster hopes to break ground on two residences in spring after legal battles
https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilto...l-battles.html

McMaster University hopes to break ground on two off-campus student residences in the spring amid lingering legal challenges while the city braces to forgo millions in related development revenue.

A graduate student residence downtown at 10 Bay St. S. will have 644 beds. A second multistorey student building on Main Street West at Traymore Avenue in Westdale calls for 1,366.

Millions in development charges have been at stake in the university’s appeal of a city bylaw that would have applied them to its planned residences.

But provincial legislation late last year has since exempted all universities from development charges, short-circuiting the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal dispute.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 4:35 AM

https://www.thepublicrecord.ca/2021/...n-street-east/

The Ontario Land Tribunal issued a hearing notice on Tuesday saying the City of Hamilton and Knightstone Capital Management II Inc have reached an agreement to approve a private student residence Knightstone is building in a private-public partnership with McMaster University.

Knightstone and the City of Hamilton both informed the Tribunal in early November 2020 they were very close to a deal. Later in November, McMaster and Knightstone filed a rare OLT appeal against the City claiming the City was refusing to grant site plan approval.

Disagreements between the parties resulted in the “very close” deal not occurring.

“From the conversation, the Member expected a quick resolution of the issue and expected a settlement in short order,” writes OLT Vice-Chair Gregory Bishop of last November’s events. “This was not the case and with the passing of approximately eleven (11) months from the date … the Tribunal Member has now been notified that the issue has been resolved.”

The settlement hearing will be conducted on Wednesday, December 15 by teleconference.

Note: The OLT was formerly known as the Ontario Municipal Board and the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal. For ease of reading, TPR refers to the tribunal as the OLT when referring to decisions issued under its previous names.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 1:56 PM

Good to hear. Hopefully they don't take too long to start construction, this'll be an excellent addition of density and much needed student housing for McMaster.

I wonder what the settlement involves.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton