HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 3:29 PM
Bring out the cranes...

FrontRunner is going to become "Ghost train" cus who the hell will be crazy enough to ride commuter rail for $162.00 per month? And I thought the whole point of commuter rail was to get people out of their cars. But with fairs that high it will scare people back in their cars.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 3:38 PM

well, let's see.. say you drive to work 30 miles each way.. 20 days or so a month. Thats 1200 miles a month and if you have an economical car getting 30 MPG, then that is 40 gallons of gas. Even at 3 bucks a gallon, it's still 42 bucks a month cheaper than the Frontrunner. The ONLY advantage to the frontrunner in this case is no traffic, so one must decide if 42 bucks a month is worth 15minutes saved per day. And, you know what? maybe it is..

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 3:57 PM
Bring out the cranes...

I think the best thing for people to do is just work at home. If they can. LOL.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 5:07 PM

yeah, $42 a month maybe worth it to some people because it gets them out of traffic and let's them sleep or read or whatever. plus there's the saving of wear and tear on ones car. I'm not sure if it would be enough for me, maybe (it's a mute point as I live and work in the city). I wish it was going to be cheaper, but at least it's an option. It would be pretty disheartening to see it half empty all the time. I really don't think I like the way UTA is heading.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 11:19 AM

Firm to refurbish rail cars in S.L. for UTA

By Nicole Warburton
Deseret Morning News
The Utah Transit Authority said late Wednesday that Bombardier Transportation, one of the world's largest train and airplane manufacturers, is coming to Utah to help repair old rail cars for use on TRAX and commuter rail.

Jason Olson, Deseret Morning NewsBombardier plans to refurbish rail cars at UTA's commuter-rail maintenance facility in Salt Lake City.

Bombardier plans to open a rehabilitation facility in Utah to refurbish dozens of used rail cars. The company will begin work at UTA's commuter-rail maintenance facility at 900 North and 500 West in Salt Lake City.
Today at 11 a.m., UTA and Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. are scheduled hold a press conference to announce details about the company and its plans for Utah.
The governor "is pleased to have a company of (Bombardier's) capability bringing a significant portion of their business to the Beehive State," Huntsman spokesman Mike Mower said Wednesday. "This move should result in additional high-paying jobs for Utah workers."
The press conference will be held at UTA's Warm Springs Rail Service Center in Salt Lake City.
Bombardier Transportation is a division of aircraft and rail transportation manufacturer Bombardier Inc., which is based in Montreal, Canada. The transportation division has 29,100 employees worldwide and operates 42 production facilities, including three sites in the Eastern United States
The company specializes in making rail vehicles, regional aircraft, business jets and smaller-scale vehicles such as ATVs. UTA purchased 12 Bombardier BiLevel commuter-rail vehicles from the company in 2005 and plans to have Bombardier refurbish at least 59 rail vehicles for TRAX and commuter rail.
The rail cars will be used on commuter rail from Pleasant View to Provo and four new TRAX lines in Salt Lake County. Voters approved funding for much of the commuter-rail line and for the TRAX lines in November. The rail lines are scheduled to be built within the next seven to 10 year
UTA spokesman Justin Jones declined to give any specifics about how long Bombardier would be in Utah or how many jobs it would bring to the state.
"The fact is, we have an aggressive rail build-out in the next seven to 10 years, and it's going to mean a lot of jobs in Utah," Jones said. "This is the start of that."
UTA plans to house commuter-rail vehicles in the Warm Springs center once the first phase of its FrontRunner commuter-rail line is completed from Pleasant View to Salt Lake City in 2008. Work on an extension of the line from Salt Lake to Provo is expected to begin within the next two years.
The rail cars that will be refurbished come from San Jose, Calif., and New Jersey. The San Jose cars have been used along UTA's north-south TRAX line since 2004. Residents have referred to them as "ghetto TRAX," because they appear run-down and old compared to newer TRAX cars that were purchased in 1999.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Posted Apr 20, 2007, 3:42 AM
Bring out the cranes...

UTA Signs Deal with Bombardier to Refurbish Trains

April 19th, 2007 @ 6:14pm

Keith McCord Reporting

The economy and job growth rate in Utah has been very strong this past year, and it's getting better. Today, a major announcement came from the governor and UTA that will create more job opportunities. UTA has a lot of TRAX train cars that need refurbishing, and the world's largest train maker has agreed to set up shop here and do the work.

In fact, they started last week.

Each day, more than 58,000 people ride UTA's TRAX trains. The 19-mile system has been very successful since it started. The future looks bright as new lines are under construction.

At a gathering at UTA's rail service center today, Governor Huntsman talked about a new agreement between UTA and Bombardier of Canada--the world's largest train maker--to refurbish dozens of used rail cars to expand UTA's fleet. "So this for us is a hugely important deal," the governor said.

The president of Bombardier Transportation, William Spurr, said, "And thanks to some creative thinking, that refurbishment work will take place right here in Utah in this facility, with local workers that will be hired and trained in this region."

In fact, work began last week on 28 used light rail cars acquired from San Jose, and additional jobs will be created when 30 more cars arrive from New Jersey. Besides the creation of new jobs, the other message that was delivered by the governor and others is the fact that transportation--whether it's trains, planes or automobiles-- helps drive the economy.

Governor Jon Huntsman: "But I don't think anybody thought that this quickly that we would be able to land a facility here to refurbish and restore light rail and commuter rail and address some of our needs ongoing, which not only assures short-term mobility, but it also means that we're probably likely to generate more economic opportunities by having this facility here."

Bombardier's president said studies show that for every dollar of public money spent on transit infrastructure and systems, $6 comes back, which amounts to a good return.

Spurr added that his company will continue to invest in Utah. "We will provide the products and services that you need to create a transit system that drives progress in this developing region," Spurr added.

Bombardier also is manufacturing the new bi-level coaches that will be used on the "Front Runner" commuter rail lines. If you haven't ever heard of Bombardier before, you certainly will now.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2007, 11:11 AM

Refurbishing trains in Utah
Company will make old, rusty cars just like new

By Nicole Warburton
Deseret Morning News
One of the world's top trainmakers has opened shop in Utah with the goal of transforming old, rusty, graffiti-decorated train cars into vehicles that look and run like new.

Tom Smart, Deseret Morning News
Patty Driscoll helps refurbish a TRAX car. Bombardier Transportation Group is coming to Utah to help remake 54 used light-rail and commuter-rail cars.

Bombardier Transportation Group, along with the Utah Transit Authority, said Thursday that it has signed a contract for up to $25 million to refurbish 54 used light-rail and commuter-rail cars. The cars will be used on four new TRAX lines in Salt Lake County and on UTA's commuter-rail line from Pleasant View, in Weber County, to Provo.
Voters approved funding for those rail lines in November.
While Bombardier's contract will expire sometime in 2010, the company hopes to obtain more work from surrounding states and perhaps open a more permanent operation in Salt Lake City. The company has initial plans to hire and train at least 35 local engineers, mechanics and electricians to work on cars now being delivered to UTA's commuter-rail maintenance facility at 900 North and 500 West.
"This region, like many others in North America and around the world, has realized the long-term benefits that effective public transportation can bring," William Spurr, president of Bombardier Transportation Group, said Thursday. "We look forward to a long and mutually beneficial collaboration with the people in this state for years to come."
Bombardier Transportation is a division of aircraft and rail transportation manufacturer Bombardier Inc., which is based in Montreal, Canada. The transportation division has 29,100 employees worldwide and operates 42 production facilities, including three sites in the eastern United States.
West Coast transit agencies that now contract with Bombardier ship their cars to the East Coast to be refurbished. In 2005, UTA purchased 12 Bombardier BiLevel commuter-rail vehicles from the company that were made in Thunder Bay, Canada, and furnished in Plattsburg, N.Y.
Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. said Thursday that UTA's deal with Bombardier was "hugely important."
"This not only ensures short-term mobility, but it also means that we're probably likely to generate more economic-development opportunities by having this facility here," Huntsman said. "Otherwise you have to send the rolling stock back East. Here, we can do it, and chances are, we're going to get more opportunities to do this kind of thing with states in the surrounding region."
John Inglish, general manager of UTA, echoed Huntsman's enthusiasm for the deal. "This is a great marriage," he said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Posted Apr 20, 2007, 9:33 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Having Bombardier come here to Utah will add alot of new jobs. This is very good news.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2007, 9:53 PM

Sounds like the growth potential for this company will be excellent. No longer a need for the western region to have the work done back east. It's a great time to establish a facility like this in Salt Lake, with the increase in demand for mass transit.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2007, 10:04 PM

I am happy that they are finally going to do something about the crappy TRAX cars that we got from San Jose. So far all they've done is put a UTA sticker on the side to cover the old logo.

Are they going to be refurbishing the cars that we got from Chicago for Frontrunner as well? There are a bunch of them sitting on the tracks at the west side of I-15 just north of where Beck St. joins the freeway. They look pretty shabby (UTA got them for free).

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 12:33 AM

Sugar House Transit Study

The Utah Transit Authority wants public input about the future of the Transit in the area generally bounded by 3rd West, 17th S., 13th E, and Interstate 80. <br> Everyone PLEASE go to UTA's <a href="http://www.rideuta.com/calendarAndNews/sugarhouseTransitStudy/publicParticipation/">Website</a>
and let them know how you feel about how to improve transportation in this area. The more people that express their opinions to UTA will result in solutions that will better meet the community's needs.
Please let them know if you like the SugarHouse Trolley idea. Or perhaps.... something better.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 4:43 PM
Exit 298

1900 North....dead man walking?

I've been reading a few of the articles on the Mountain View Corridor lately. It seems like the fight is now between 2100 North and 4800 North. The arguement is that Lehi doesn't want "too many freeways dividing up the city" and so they prefer 4800 North.

Boo hoo, poor Lehi! When's the last time West Valley complained because they'll end up with three freeways (201, 215, MVC) and Bangerter dividing up the city?

Anywho, I don't care. I like all three routes, but I think we may see UDOT add 4800 North as an alternative.

I did try to draw it in MS Paint and it looks like they'd need to build one expensive (read "awesome") bridge across the jordan river, like we were talking about.

I wonder if they'd almost do a "real" bridge over that, if they chose the route. Utah doesn't have bridges, we have "overpasses." Portland/Seattle/SF have real bridges.

4800 is nice too, because it looks like it could connect into the Frank Ghery project, which would make great access.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 6:35 PM

I'm liking the north alignments.. looks like my neighborhood may be safe!

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 7:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
Boo hoo, poor Lehi! When's the last time West Valley complained because they'll end up with three freeways (201, 215, MVC) and Bangerter dividing up the city?
Wow I-215, this is a cool graphic, and I think it would be the best option, but you've got a lot to learn about urban dynamics and how cities work. West Valley City is a very fractured community because of the roads you listed. You might want to go to the library and check out "The Death and Life of Great American Cities," by Jane Jacobs. By reading it, you will see other perspectives, and by seeing these different perspectives, you can then aquire a more informed opinion.

Last edited by urbanboy; May 2, 2007 at 7:55 PM.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 9:44 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Nice work there I-215. I too think the 4800 South would work the best if Frank Ghery is going to build his city there.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 10:04 PM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanboy View Post
Wow I-215, this is a cool graphic, and I think it would be the best option, but you've got a lot to learn about urban dynamics and how cities work. West Valley City is a very fractured community because of the roads you listed. You might want to go to the library and check out "The Death and Life of Great American Cities," by Jane Jacobs. By reading it, you will see other perspectives, and by seeing these different perspectives, you can then aquire a more informed opinion.
Thanks for the complement.

I'm at B-Y-U, so I'm sure I could check out the book from the library here. I may just do that, since I'm interested in highways.

I haven't read the book, but I lived in NE Portland for 6 months, for what it's worth.

A freeway affects a community in different ways. For example, running a freeway though NE Portland, which was what the cancelled Rose City Freeway would have done, would have 'ghetto-fied' the neighborhood, because nobody wants a huge imposing concrete monstrosity in the sky. Not to mention how it would trash the connectivity of the grid.

However, West Valley City is certainly no NE Portland. It's definately a different type of city, that never could be truely urbanized. The "grid" is blocks of major arterials set 1 mile apart, as opposed to narrow avenues 1000 feet apart. Different cities built at different times.

So yes, a freeway in NE Portland is bad because it's a community designed to function self-sufficently without it. Whereas WVC can't function without the freeway, because it's a dependant community. A future rail line will help, but rail's limitations cause it to only reach a fraction of commuters. To try and "urbanize" WVC would be just as bad as trying to "suburbanize" an urban area, because WVC doesn't have the transit, grid, and other infastructure needed to handle a dense population.

So, in the case of Lehi and the 1900 South proposal.... the freeway isn't even coming close to the grid that could potentially handle an urban population someday. The rest of the city is sprawl-burbia, which really doesn't give a rip if a freeway runs through it or not. Hence why I don't give much sympathy to Lehi for complaining. They'll take money to the bank in the tax revenue that will come from new commercial near the 2-3 offramps they'd get from the southern freeway proposal.

However, if they wanted to run a freeway through a grid... let's say Provo's.... then I'd be a critic.

Old Posted May 5, 2007, 10:51 PM
Exit 298

Thumbs up Smart

Taxpayers Association calls for a 25¢ per gallon boost in Utah
By Josh Loftin
Deseret Morning News

A usually virulent anti-tax lobbying group is advocating a significant increase in Utah's gas tax.
The Utah Taxpayers Association, which is primarily funded by business and manufacturing companies, detailed a proposed 25-cent-per-gallon bump in the gas tax during its annual conference Friday at the Little America Hotel in Salt Lake City. That would more than double Utah's current 24.5 cent per gallon rate and, the association says, potentially generate more than $350 million.
Despite the rare call for a tax increase of any sort, the association is not advocating an increase in the overall tax burden. Instead, the group is urging an equal drop in the state income tax. That could be accomplished either with expanded credits or an overall rate reduction.
The primary reason to raise the gas tax is so that the transportation infrastructure can be adequately developed using money that is generated through the use of that system, the association argues. Currently, the state is being forced to shift money from other pots of money, especially the overall sales tax, to pay for road and transit construction.
The biggest problem with using the overall sales tax to pay for roads is that people do not understand the true costs of their driving, said Mike German, the association's vice president.
"It is basic economics," he said. "When something is underpriced, it is overused."
Another proposal promoted during the conference was "congestion pricing," which would charge people more for using roads and transit during peak travel times. Ideally, that would raise more money for transportation but also reduce congestion because it would encourage people to look at alternatives to commuting alone during rush hours, with alternatives ranging from car pools to telecommuting.
David Horner, chief counsel for the U.S. Department of Transportation, said various methods to implement congestion pricing have already been put into use in places such as St. Paul-Minneapolis and California, where drivers are charged a per-mile fee for using specific lanes. It is also used in some major cities, such as London, where drivers are charged to enter the busiest areas.
He admitted that instituting a congestion pricing system can be politically difficult, and that almost always the public is initially opposed to the plans.
"But after the policies are implemented," he said, "opinions swing radically and people come to really like it."
The conference was a daylong event attended by a majority of Utah's legislators, including many of the leaders.

==============

Isn't that what we always thought? Make gas taxes more of a user fee? I think it's a good idea.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 2:32 PM

There have been so few postings on this thread lately that I had to dig it out from page 2. Anyway, this article from this mornings Trib isn't too long, so I figured I'd post the whole thing here and save everyone a mouse click:
--------------------
Woods Cross residents worry about UTA rail station plan
By Cathy McKitrick
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 05/17/2007 07:05:35 AM MDT

Posted: 7:06 AM- WOODS CROSS - Although many are eager to climb aboard commuter rail next year, some residents dread what a nearby station could bring to their Woods Cross neighborhood.
Utah Transit Authority already has Planning Commission approval for its 10-acre rail station and 280-stall park-and-ride lot along 800 West between 500 South and 1000 South.
The plan calls for two access points, one from the north and the other from the south, directly across from Ed Goble's home.
Goble filed an appeal with the city, hoping UTA would reconfigure its plan and eliminate the south entrance.
"People want a train and public transit - just not in their front yard," Goble told the City Council this week.
He and a few of his neighbors voiced concerns over the station's impacts, such as declining property values and increased traffic and crime.
Goble drew up a single-entrance layout he believed would work for the Woods Cross site.
After a public hearing, the council rejected Goble's appeal, but requested that transit officials revisit the neighborhood's concerns six months after the station opens to gauge its impacts on the nearby homes.
UTA's FrontRunner heavy commuter-rail line from Pleasant View to Salt Lake City should be ready for passengers in 2008.

--------------------

I guess that makes him a NIMFY since he's fighting development in his front yard instead of his backyard.

I live adjacent to the new station in Clearfield, and I couldn't be happier. I already live near a railroad, now I will be next to a rail line that increases my property value, and slashes my commute time. What could be better?

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 6:08 PM
Exit 298

Crime at rail station is a legit concern. The Rockwood area of Portland kinda got smashed when the train came. The solution is to enforce fares, but Portland is pretty permissive, so i'd say about 1/3 of the riders never pay, and unfortunately a few of that group also tend to think that the Fred Meyer's on Stark and Burnside should be a "grab and go," hence the closing of the store.

If Frontrunner fares are enforced, it shouldn't be a problem.

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 5:15 PM
Expatriate

Dallas does a tremendous job at fare enforcement and general policing of the light rail line. I am asked to show my transit pass almost every day -- sometimes three times/day. Crime doesn't seem to be a problem here. I believe UTA is quite dilligent too, but have much less experience with that agency. Since I used to live north of town, I didn't ride Trax much.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West