HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy1 View Post
I believe the owner of the Atlas building was rewarded a few million dollars of grant money from the state, so with that happening i would think construction should start amping up.
I did not know that, but that is great news!

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 12:53 PM

Thumbs up Atlas Building

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCentralPA View Post
I did not know that, but that is great news!
In addition, the Atlas, a mixed-use redevelopment project at N. 6th and Maclay streets in Harrisburg, will receive $2 million more, adding to the $2.5 million it received in December for such needs as core infrastructure work, a new sprinkler system, additional green space and more parking.

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 12:55 PM

Numerous Harrisburg-area projects are slated to receive state funds as the commonwealth has announced its latest phase of redevelopment grants.

The Redevelopment Assistance Capital Program (RACP) grants announced on Friday complete the state’s 2021 funding round, which was awarded in two tranches—the first in December and the second on Friday.

Many Harrisburg projects denied money last year in the first tranche received funds in the second. These include:

The Dauphin County Library System for renovation of the Haldeman Haly House and expansion of the McCormick Riverfront Library downtown ($1 million)
Harrisburg Events Center for the continued renovation of the historic King Mansion ($500,000)
Harrisburg Scottish Rite Cathedral for renovations and theater preservation ($1.02 million)
400 Reily Street Management for a new apartment building and parking garage at 400 Reily St. ($2 million)
As previously reported, The Bridge Ecovillage also received RACP funding in this round, obtaining $4 million for the first phase of its project at the former Bishop McDevitt High School in Harrisburg.

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy1 View Post
400 Reily Street Management for a new apartment building and parking garage at 400 Reily St. ($2 million)
Hope they start that one soon.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 8:43 PM

Harrisburg University Tower
Photos taken by me on my phone on 05/19/2022. I feel like the façade looks pretty good with the different colored glass.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 12:33 AM

Federal Courthouse
All photos taken by me on my phone on 06/05/2022. They are finally working on the parts that have just been bare beams for years now. Cladding on the tall part looks mostly complete but from driving by, it seems there is a fair amount of interior work to still complete.

Bonus shot of the Forum - not 100% sure what all work is being done here, but the exterior looks really nice and clean now!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 2:37 AM

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 3:15 AM

16 apartments headed to Harrisburg, as The Lofts breaks ground in former Salvation Army building

https://theburgnews.com/news/16-apar...-army-building

Quote:
The Lofts officially broke ground on Tuesday in the former Salvation Army building at Green and Cumberland streets in the heart of residential Midtown Harrisburg.

Harrisburg and Dauphin County officials were on hand to ceremonially inaugurate the project, which is being developed by Wormleysburg-based Integrated Development Partners (IDP).

“Today, we’re celebrating what’s to come here at the Lofts of Midtown and what will become a beautiful addition to an already beautiful neighborhood,” said Mayor Wanda Williams. “Each day, the future is getting brighter for the city of Harrisburg, and we’re looking forward to seeing what’s next.”

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 1:38 AM

Photo taken 06/17/2022. This building really transforms this part of the city.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2022, 1:08 AM

Proposed Uptown Harrisburg residential project struck down by City Council

https://theburgnews.com/news/propose...y-city-council

Quote:
A proposed residential project for Uptown Harrisburg has hit a major obstacle, as City Council unanimously voted it down on Tuesday night.

At a legislative session, council opposed the project, by local developer D&F Realty, to transform a warehouse into apartment units at 2463 Jefferson St. According to council member Shamaine Daniels, the developer had at least 80 recent citations for code violations on other city properties.

“Generally speaking, there’s a presumption that when applicants come before this body that they come in good faith,” Daniels said. “However, given the circumstances […] I would recommend that given the history of this applicant, we can’t make a presumption of good faith.”

Old Posted Jul 10, 2022, 1:10 AM

Federal Building owner details plans for “luxury” apartment conversion, rooftop restaurants

https://theburgnews.com/news/federal...op-restaurants

Quote:
On Wednesday, developer Justin Etzin stated that he’s preparing to move forward with a plan for “The Federal,” a proposed 200-unit apartment building, which also would include several restaurants, at the corner of N. 3rd and Walnut streets.

Etzin stated that he would begin to seek city approvals, including from the city’s Zoning Hearing Board and Planning Commission, for the project, which includes construction of a new, split-level, 8,000-square-foot addition for two rooftop restaurants–an American-style steak house and a “luxury” Italian restaurant.

“This new glass-top pavilion we are proposing will house a top restaurant with sky bar and gardens, allowing visitors and residents of Harrisburg to dine overlooking the Pennsylvania Capital Complex,” Etzin said.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2022, 1:12 AM

Harrisburg City Council approves affordable housing development, no-cost childcare center

https://theburgnews.com/news/harrisb...ildcare-center

Quote:
Several Harrisburg development projects focused on serving lower-income residents will move forward following a City Council legislative session on Tuesday night.

Council took action to push forth both an affordable housing development for South Harrisburg, as well as a childcare center, the Catherine Hershey School for Early Learning.

Council unanimously voted to approve a lot consolidation and land development plan for “Sycamore Homes,” a 23-unit affordable apartment building planned for the 1400-block of Sycamore Street, near Foose Elementary School. Harrisburg-developer George Fernandez, CEO of Latino Connection, explained that the $3.4 million project will offer high-quality studio units to low-income residents

Additionally, council approved a lot consolidation and land development plan for the Catherine Hershey School for Early Learning, which has proposed a childcare facility in Uptown Harrisburg. The site is planned for a 3.44-acre area bounded by Peffer, N. 7th, Muench and N. 6th streets. The childcare center is an arm of the Milton Hershey School and would offer free care to 150 low-income and at-risk children, from 6 months to 5 years old.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2022, 1:13 AM

Harristown to swap out atrium clock for larger stage, new meeting space in Strawberry Square

https://theburgnews.com/news/harrist...awberry-square

Quote:
Strawberry Square soon will have a different look and sound, with a plan to ring out its elaborate clock and usher in new meeting and entertainment space.

Harristown Enterprises on Wednesday said that it plans to remove the multi-story “Chockablock Clock” and replace it with a first-floor stage and second-floor cantilevered meeting room.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2022, 1:15 AM

“Carpets and Draperies” building nears completion, will house apartments, local bakery

https://theburgnews.com/news/carpets...s-local-bakery

Quote:
Foote purchased and prepared to renovate the property, known as the “Carpets & Draperies” building, on the 1500-block of N. 3rd Street in Harrisburg. Since then, the building has undergone a total transformation, with construction finally nearing the finish line.

Formerly Gerber’s Department Store, the century-old, 4,800-square-foot building is now on its way to housing five apartment units and a first-floor retail space. Broad Street Market vendor Raising The Bar will open a bakery/café in the space come fall.

The renovation process was extensive as Foote’s contractor, Harrisburg Commercial Interiors, had to gut the entire building, which has been vacant since the mid-2000s, and start from scratch. One of the few things that remained was the antique “Carpets and Draperies” sign on the front façade, now updated with paint and new lighting. As the name has stuck with the building over the years, Foote plans to continue calling it that.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2022, 1:44 AM

I was able to snap a few photos over the past week or so.

Taken 06/30/2022. I think the colored glass looks good at night.

"Carpets and Draperies" Building
First photo taken 07/02/2022 and second photo taken 07/09/2022.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2022, 2:00 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Proposed Uptown Harrisburg residential project struck down by City Council

https://theburgnews.com/news/propose...y-city-council
I agree with Council on this one and no sense in adding another property that will be a headache because the developer is a snake.

Quote:
Federal Building owner details plans for “luxury” apartment conversion, rooftop restaurants

https://theburgnews.com/news/federal...op-restaurants

The investors are concerned about how well this will do in the Harrisburg market but they are going to roll the dice anyway as of now.

Quote:
Harristown to swap out atrium clock for larger stage, new meeting space in Strawberry Square

https://theburgnews.com/news/harrist...awberry-square
That clock has stood the test of time (pun intended) and I hope someone takes it and it doesn't end up trashed. It would be great in a museum *hint hint to the State Museum right down the street*

Old Posted Jul 11, 2022, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
I agree with Council on this one and no sense in adding another property that will be a headache because the developer is a snake.

The investors are concerned about how well this will do in the Harrisburg market but they are going to roll the dice anyway as of now.

That clock has stood the test of time (pun intended) and I hope someone takes it and it doesn't end up trashed. It would be great in a museum *hint hint to the State Museum right down the street*
I agree with all three comments.

I'm pretty skeptical the Federal Building apartments is actually going to happen. The owner's company is based in Seychelles, their website has absolutely no information on it and if you google their company almost nothing comes up. So I guess we'll see what happens, but I'm guessing they will just resell the building.

Also related to the clock, a lot of comments on Facebook expressed similar sentiments and mentioned raising money to preserve it, so it seems like there is some interest out there.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2022, 2:19 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
I'm pretty skeptical the Federal Building apartments is actually going to happen. The owner's company is based in Seychelles, their website has absolutely no information on it and if you google their company almost nothing comes up. So I guess we'll see what happens, but I'm guessing they will just resell the building.
Yeah from what I am hearing this is far from a done deal and their data is not helping the case to move forward with this but as of now this is the plan. However, things like this could help a bit and I never thought that I would see the day:

Harrisburg ranked one of the 'toughest' rental markets in US

Harrisburg sits as the second most competitive rental market, just behind Miami-Dade County in Florida.
https://www.fox43.com/article/money/...8-b85009adf559

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Yeah from what I am hearing this is far from a done deal and their data is not helping the case to move forward with this but as of now this is the plan. However, things like this could help a bit and I never thought that I would see the day:

Harrisburg ranked one of the 'toughest' rental markets in US

Harrisburg sits as the second most competitive rental market, just behind Miami-Dade County in Florida.
https://www.fox43.com/article/money/...8-b85009adf559
Oh yeah, there is a ton of demand for houses and rentals all around the Harrisburg region - I just questions this company's ability to make it happen. I'd love to be proven wrong though!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 3:16 AM

High-rise proposed for downtown Lancaster; 8-story apartment building would occupy Prince Street parking lot

https://lancasteronline.com/business...6bd4ffd47.html

Quote:
An eight-story apartment building has been proposed for a downtown Lancaster property recently considered for a boutique hotel.

The property at 116-122 N. Prince St. includes the former Teachers Protective Mutual Life building at 118 N. Prince St., as well as the adjacent parking lot that had been a pop-up park when the entire complex was the planned site for The Surveyor Hotel.

Two-and-a-half years after the would-be hotel developers sold the property, its new owners have proposed a 68-unit apartment building with first-floor retail that would rise seven stories from Prince Street and eight stories from the slightly lower Water Street side.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations