HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 7:33 PM
Ex Houstonian

We had to speak to him to get the key to the front door and Micheal was talking with him and I was there too, Michael thanked him for his efforts to preserve the building but then he said he basically thinks preservationists are useless for wanting to preserve such a boring building and why did we all of the sudden care about this building when its been rotting for years now. He seemed angry that he couldnt tear the building down because of us pesky preservationists. We were both nice to him but he didnt want to deal with us.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 7:34 PM
Northsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
Heard a terrible rumor today that Gumberg (the guy responsible for the potential Autozone on Penn Ave) wants to replace the Penn Plaza apartments in East Liberty with a Wal-Mart.
I don't even know how to respond to that. I can't think of a worse thing to but there. I also can't imaging that such a plan would get ever get past zoning/planning in this administration.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Heard a terrible rumor today that Gumberg (the guy responsible for the potential Autozone on Penn Ave) wants to replace the Penn Plaza apartments in East Liberty with a Wal-Mart.
I heard a similar rumor about six months ago from a very reliable source, and at the time they were trying to engage several big box/mega retailers to consider the site. My understanding then was that Costco was the primary interested party.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 12:07 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:

But it will be an influx of people into your neighborhood: http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 12:31 AM

If they are proposing this, I could get into it.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 12:41 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

I also googled "Urban Walmart" today. haha

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 2:02 AM
Eurosceptic

I doubt Gumberg has the vision for that sort of thing.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
I doubt Gumberg has the vision for that sort of thing.
My fear as well. At least there is an urban walmart precedent we could potentially force upon them at this point.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 4:46 AM

So i just drove by the eastside iii and east liberty transit consturxtion site and at 1230 am they are still working. Do we think they are behind schedule?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 8:39 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

A couple updates from neighbor cities.

Cincinnati is doing a great job reconnecting downtown with the Ohio riverfront with both a beautiful park and also mid rise density infill reconnecting the urban grid.

And to our east, here is the Philly skyline in 3 years :

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 10:58 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
My fear as well. At least there is an urban walmart precedent we could potentially force upon them at this point.
I think there should be a clause added to the zoning ordinance stating any new big-box retail construction in urban areas needs to be designed with density in mind. I wish Target looked more urban than what they actually built there. If it were up to me, I'd have the following in the zoning ordinance:
  • Retail space that is at least two stories
  • Some residential component above it (strongly encouraged)
  • Minimum height requirement of 75 feet

Is this guy trying to ruin the East Liberty neighborhood right at the height of the best thing to happen to this part of the city since the PA Railroad?

Going back to my comment about the zoning ordinance, maybe they should include an overlay district for either height restriction or central business district. When I served on the Downingtown Borough planning commission, we added this to the zoning ordinance. Any new construction within a certain part of the borough needs to meet specific design standards. Minimum height requirement is actually 35 feet...

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
A couple updates from neighbor cities.

Cincinnati is doing a great job reconnecting downtown with the Ohio riverfront with both a beautiful park and also mid rise density infill reconnecting the urban grid.

And to our east, here is the Philly skyline in 3 years :

That Cincinnati development looks nice. It kind of resembles North Shore with the Great Lawn and the other mid rises. As for Philadelphia, have all of those skyscrapers been approved? It takes three years to build one.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 1:42 AM

The site of Penn Plaza is currently zoned RP (Residential Planned Unit Development) not commercial. While this zoning type allows for modest non-residential development, it's meant to serve only those who live within the special zoning area or within walking distance.

The bottom line is without zoning changes, a Wal-Mart couldn't be built here. Hell, I'm unsure if a Wal-Mart could be built in a regular old LNC-zoned area.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 6:10 AM

Quote:
..... As for Philadelphia, have all of those skyscrapers been approved? It takes three years to build one.
All of the buildings clearly shown in the graphic have been approved and have started/are scheduled to start construction/site prep very soon, including the hard to see 590' SLS International Hotel/Condominiums at Broad and Spruce (right/background). The 580' W Hotel (not shown in the graphic) near Broad and Chestnut is scheduled for a final approval hearing next week: http://planphilly.com/articles/2014/...h-and-chestnut. The 360' Mormon Apartment tower at 16th and Vine (not visible) is scheduled to start in October. A clearer view of future construction would have been with a more northerly view - although the presented graphic is great.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 1:25 PM
Ex Houstonian

Whoa philly rising. It's about time philly got a decent skyline.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
That Cincinnati development looks nice. It kind of resembles North Shore with the Great Lawn and the other mid rises. As for Philadelphia, have all of those skyscrapers been approved? It takes three years to build one.
The Comcast Innovation and Technology Center
Rising at 59 floors and 1,121 feet has started excavation. It will be the tallest building in Philadelphia and the state, giving both the city and state it's first Supertall skyscraper. It will also be the 8th tallest building in the country, and the tallest building in any city outside of New York and Chicago. Project includes over 1 million square feet of office space topped with an 11 floor Four Seasons hotel. It will be complete in Q4 2017.
http://corporate.comcast.com/news-in...-press-release
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...209240&page=56

FMC Tower at Cira Centre South
49 floors and 730 feet. Will be the 7th tallest in the city of Philadelphia and the 8th tallest in the state. Construction started in June - they are installing caissons. Project includes 650,000 sq feet of office space topped with an extended stay residences. Completion Q4 2016.
http://ciracentresouth.com/
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...210333&page=78

SLS International Hotel & Residences
47 floors and 590 feet. Construction expected to begin this fall. Completion Q4 2016.
http://www.dranoffproperties.com/por...international/

W & Element by Westin
50 floors and 582 feet. Construction expected to begin by the end of the year with completion by Q3 in 2017.
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/Pl...ing_shape.html

Aside from that there are a slew of highrises, midrises and lowrises being developed in Philly. All projects have a separate highrise thread created for them here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/sear...archid=1298350

Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Whoa philly rising. It's about time philly got a decent skyline.
Wouldn't you argue that Philadelphia already has a great skyline?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 1:11 AM
Ex Houstonian

It does but its a huge city and for a city its size it needs more scrapers.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 12:50 PM

Is Google Too Big for Pittsburgh

From this week's Bloomberg BusinessWeek. Thought it might be of interest.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...#r=nav-f-story

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 2:01 PM
Eurosceptic

I found that article to be ridiculous.

If anything, the presence of large established players like Google, Disney, IBM, etc. helps foster a dynamic startup culture in Pittsburgh. People in those types of professions don't want to be some "lone wolf" in the middle of nowhere... some place where if they fail, there are no other opportunities.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations