HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 5:17 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Murals

Some pictures of the new mural by Jacoba Niepoort:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3bNjuvhFs_/

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 5:18 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Isn't this building slated to be torn down for Skye? I guess it could be worthwhile even if it's only around for a few years.

The mural by Freak Lunchbox could be covered by a redevelopment of the Dennis Building site too.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The mural by Freak Lunchbox could be covered by a redevelopment of the Dennis Building site too.
That wouldn't be a disappointment. I typically like murals, but have to admit I don't love this one. Of course appreciation of art is subjective...

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 6:04 AM

WOW! So different from what we usually see in murals. This to me is ART and you can almost see the water running thru the boy's hands. The property owner needs to do a little landscaping with a few benches

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 9:37 AM

Not a fan of murals in general. Too many of them (not this one) look like graffiti vandalism. Art is very subjective and with a mural, if the viewer finds it displeasing it is both large and very nearly permanent, so it is hard to avoid and has to be endured for a long time.

Given the likely demolition of this structure - I believe the building has been empty for a while - who would have commissioned this and why?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Not a fan of murals in general. Too many of them (not this one) look like graffiti vandalism. Art is very subjective and with a mural, if the viewer finds it displeasing it is both large and very nearly permanent, so it is hard to avoid and has to be endured for a long time.

Given the likely demolition of this structure - I believe the building has been empty for a while - who would have commissioned this and why?
Good points - if you like it they're great, and if you don't (the Freak Lunchbox for me) they are an eyesore that's difficult to ignore. The dumb mural/slogan they had on the Roy during construction is another example of an eyesore for me, but luckily it was only temporary.

Also wondering why a mural would be done on a building that won't be around for long... seems like a waste.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 1:02 PM

Looks like the Downtown Halifax Business Commission kicked in for it: https://downtownhalifax.ca/news/down...-pretty-grants

Quote:
Also wondering why a mural would be done on a building that won't be around for long... seems like a waste.
Sometimes the best art if fleeting. If you look at something like Nocturne, a lot of that is art that is created for one day only.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Looks like the Downtown Halifax Business Commission kicked in for it: https://downtownhalifax.ca/news/down...-pretty-grants

Sometimes the best art if fleeting. If you look at something like Nocturne, a lot of that is art that is created for one day only.
I suppose you could say the same thing about a concert, good point.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 5:40 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I suppose you could say the same thing about a concert, good point.
There is an article about this mural:

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/li...ilding-357579/

She knows this building could be pulled down, or a new development could go up right beside it, hiding her work from view, but she said it’s still worth all the effort.

I personally think these are great. Not everybody is going to like every mural but they add more variety to the streetscape. That stretch of Hollis in particular is very drab.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
There is an article about this mural:

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/li...ilding-357579/

She knows this building could be pulled down, or a new development could go up right beside it, hiding her work from view, but she said it’s still worth all the effort.

I personally think these are great. Not everybody is going to like every mural but they add more variety to the streetscape. That stretch of Hollis in particular is very drab.
Interesting. Thanks for posting it!

That's the beauty of art, not everybody is in favour of it, but it does affect everybody who sees it in one way or another. I've actually seen some graffiti on passing trains that is really cool, like a rolling art show. Then I've seen some 'tagging' type of graffiti that is just vandalism... it's all in how it's done and the viewers' perspective.

Murals are taking it to a whole other level. I really like some of the murals that were done in Mulgrave Park, some really nice quality work there.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
The paint will probably be peeling off before we see United Gulf doing something here.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 12:40 AM

I'm always amazed when I see art done on a large scale like this that someone is able to do it by hand and do it so realistically...

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser111 View Post
The paint will probably be peeling off before we see United Gulf doing something here.
This is the most common-sense post in this thread... Twisted Sisters, Skye... what was I thinking? It's been an empty lot for so long, it even has it's own Wikipedia page!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texpark_site

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 7:47 PM

NEW MURAL AT BARRINGTON & SOUTH ST.

Looking pretty good at the Barrington and South St. intersection by The Elmwood.
Google Maps - https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.64015...7i16384!8i8192

Source: My image

Old Posted May 3, 2020, 11:54 PM

I'm not actually sure if this is new or not, but I had never seen it before.

Old Posted May 4, 2020, 10:28 AM

It's been around for a while.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment