HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Vote for your favorite! Who submitted the best entry?
ericmacm 7 29.17%
TorontoDrew 12 50.00%
Koops65 5 20.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 11:57 PM
recession proof

Why didn't I see this in time? I think this competition proves the balcony tower is a dated concept and we need to see a massive move towards quality lowrise product.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 12:02 AM

Get ready for round 2 then.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 1:28 AM

I can absolutely pick the next site! I'll come up with a location tomorrow, I've been thinking it would be fun if we did one in a Western Canadian city.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 1:45 AM

I promise not to vote for myself on the next one.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 5:21 PM

Building Design Competition - Round 2

The location I have decided on for the next design competition is a combination of a couple plots of land in downtown Winnipeg, 351-364 Smith Street. I thought Winnipeg would be a good change of pace and scenery, with a starkly different cityscape filled with a different variety of colours and historical elements than Toronto.

The location is very underdeveloped despite being close to Portage and Main. The current uses of these parcels include a large empty parking lot, the Burton Cummings Theatre (a national historic site designated in 1991), a small park, an Enterprise car rental location, and a Giant Tiger.

I propose that we give ourselves three weeks, posting our submissions here on May 14th.

The collection of parcels are shown here in this image:

I'm excited to see what everyone comes up with, good luck everyone!

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Last edited by ericmacm; Apr 28, 2020 at 9:39 PM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 5:29 PM

Cool choice.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 5:32 PM

Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with for this one... the left half of the parcel is probably one of the top development sites in Winnipeg in terms of potential for a real linchpin that links Portage and Main, SHED and the Exchange District. Too bad it's been a surface parking lot since the mid 1950s

The right hand side is a bit trickier because of the theatre which is a protected heritage building. Fun fact, the Burton Cummings Theatre (originally the Walker) was supposed to be one part of a mammoth block-long building. But only the theatre ended up getting built which is what explains the tiny façade on the theatre itself. You can see a picture in context here: https://twitter.com/brent_bellamy/st...122368/photo/1

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 7:03 PM

Does anybody know how to download Google streetview geometry? I s there even a way. Do we have a Winnipeg forumer with a 3D file of the cities core I can use?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Does anybody know how to download Google streetview geometry? I s there even a way. Do we have a Winnipeg forumer with a 3D file of the cities core I can use?
The only person I can think of who might is TritonDreyja

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Are you trying to get the 3D buildings for the downtown core? You can extract them from OpenStreetMap using a tool called OSM2World.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 7:19 PM

Thanks!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 7:27 PM

Anytime! I wouldn't have selected Winnipeg if I wasn't confident that people could obtain the city massing models.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 8:05 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

I like that it's an irregular shaped lot...

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
I like that it's an irregular shaped lot...
Agreed. Things get a lot more interesting once curves and triangles have to be integrated into a design.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 4:55 PM

I was unable to get a Winnipeg file so I will just do my best to create the surrounding buildings for massing. I exported a sketchup file in obj and fbx formats but Maya is still saying those files are unrecognizable. I've go a pretty cool plan for the site that I'm just starting on now.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 8:29 PM
recession proof

I've laid out my massing plan and have an idea of what it's going to look like. The Walker Theatre is a challenge to deal with but we'll figure it out. I don't think extreme height is the answer here. My grandmother and great grandparents used to see plays etc here.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 11:23 PM

I've got mine all laid out as well and have started on the easier of the two phases. I see tasteful and careful integration being the key to making a proper and respectful design for the theatre lands.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2020, 4:08 AM

I've got mine well underway. I'm excited you chose a plot with an old theatre on it. It's also kind of nice about 75% of the old theatre's exterior can be hemmed in or repurposed.

I do plan on restoring the old Walker now Cummings Theatre's entrance to it's original glory. The first thing I've done is started working on getting rid of the tired looking Cummings sign for a more old school look.

cummings_01 by Andrew Moore, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 26, 2020, 8:38 PM

I've been working with a new rendering software in conjunction with SketchUp and I've been extremely satisfied with the results, here's a little preview of what I have done so far:

Old Posted Apr 26, 2020, 9:26 PM

Looks nice. What software?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada