HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 11:29 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Another great Victoria Park is in Truro, N.S.
If I have a soul or spirit, that's where it will go once my physical body dies.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 11:37 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

We have an especially shitty Victoria Park. But they are fixing it up.

It's in the Riverhead neighbourhood - definitely outside downtown but very close, still well within the rowhouse areas.

They have a creepy new installation:

Let's take a closer look...

Like everything else here, it's dedicated to the Royal Newfoundland Regiment. It's a combination of broze death masks of living descendants of WWI dead and veterans.

Jeddy1989's short and sweet review:

Some of the renewal plans. All of this already exists, really, they're just adding new walking stones, gardens, etc.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 11:56 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
If I have a soul or spirit, that's where it will go once my physical body dies.
A picture for those not familiar:

Source

A shot of the Public Gardens in Halifax:

Source

Most of the parkland around downtown Halifax was originally a part of the same parcel of common land set aside in 1749. The parks have a few different uses. The North Common is more oriented toward sports facilities like baseball diamonds, tennis courts, and skating/skateboarding while the Public Gardens are classic Victorian style gardens that are maintained in a style similar to what they would have looked like in the 1800's. Most of the fountains, statues, the decorative gates, etc. are from the 1800's.

The Grand Parade is more like a public square than a park. Cornwallis Park is close to being a square too. There's going to be a third one around the north end of downtown soon, Granville Square.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 5:42 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Personally I enjoy both types. The busy/groomed/artifical types seem more like the public squares of old in the sense that they're meeting places and intended to be urban hubs of activity and I enjoy this for what it is, but I agree that they don't replace the quiet/peaceful respite type parks you're referring to. i just think they're totally different intended for different purposes. I wonder if we're seeing more of the urban space-type parks than quiet ones now because those are the type of spaces our cities are most lacking in? It seems like for a long time there were no new truly public urban spaces created other than the streets themselves. That role was often played by indoor shopping mall-type spaces but those are privately owned.
Small pocket parks can't be an oasis due to their size so these busy artificial spaces make sense I suppose. I'm just not used to seeing neon pink benches, sky paths, and other odd features. Perhaps I'll get used to them over time.

In downtown Toronto there's a scarcity of all types of public space for the 300,000+ people who live here. For serene quiet places there's Queen's Park and Allan Gardens but the rest are even smaller or not very nice at all. There's nothing like the Halifax Public Gardens or Point Pleasant Park, for instance. For busy/artificial there is Dundas Square. It was much needed but we need another 5-6 places like that.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 4:04 PM

Doesn't quite qualify because it is City Hall's front yard, but posting it anyway. The Ottawa Senators "Rink of Dreams" at Marion Dewar Plaza.

https://twitter.com/Ottawa_Tourism/s...43539022356480

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 5:31 PM
Montérégien

Champs-de-Bataille park and national historic site, commonly known as Les Plaines d'Abraham, downtown Québec, is a great urban park that deserves to be mentioned here. 95 hectares of woods, gardens and plains + the Citadel on a gently rolling land, surrounded by the finest neighbourhoods and historic domains of the city (Montcalm, Bois-de-Coulonge, Colline parlementaire, Sillery...)

Charles Dickens once wrote about the Plains of Abraham and Québec :
« The impression made upon the visitor by this Gibraltar of America: its giddy heights; its citadel suspended as it were in the air; its picturesque steep streets and frowning gateways; and the splendid views which burst upon the eye at every turn: is at once unique and lasting. [...] The dangerous precipice along whose rocky front Wolfe and his brave companions climbed to glory; the Plains of Abraham where he received his mortal wound; the fortress so chivalrously defended by Montcalm; and his soldier's grave, dug for him while yet alive by the bursting of a shell; are not the least among them among the gallant incidents of history. That is a noble Monument too and worthy of two great nations which perpetuates the memory of both brave generals and on which their names are jointly written. »

It's undoubtedly the most significative urban park in the country for everything it symbolizes. It was first planned to commemorate the 300th anniversary of Québec city, and was then imagined as a way to commemorate the French and British soldiers who fought, at this very place, the crucial battle that sealed the fate of our country on Septembre 13, 1759. It's a living monument to peace. The park was designed by Frederick G. Todd, the very first canadian landscape architect and student of F. L. Olmstead, who designed Mont-Royal and Central parks. The plan was realized on a 50 year span, starting in novembre 1909.

Vue aérienne de la foule - Billy Joel by Festival d&#x27;été de Québec, sur Flickr

Source : Google Maps.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 3:49 AM
Community Guy

Expect to add this to this... today was the culmination of 10-15yrs of work/lobbying/land acquisition to create a new 'central park' for Downtown Edmonton. It will be a minimum of 1.25Ha in size, possible larger and have two LRT lines adjacent to it, along with about ~2300 units in the works across from it. Exciting times and farewell gravel lots and underused spaces.

https://twitter.com/holdsurf/status/1083561172001992704
@holdsurf

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 5:12 AM

dGTSDx5woG by BLACK STAR III, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 9:09 PM

I was browsing through my pictures and thought these would be appropriate here. This is Victoria Park which is adjacent to downtown Cobourg. Most of Cobourg's big outdoor festivals take place at this park.

These were taken at 7 am so not too many people around!

Turns out I don't have too many have the park itself really. Anyways there is lawn bowling pitch, bandshell, splashpad and a bunch of other crap

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 9:05 PM

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 9:07 PM

Strathcona Park in Ottawa's Sandy Hill on the Rideau River. A little over a kilometer outside the CBD.

https://twitter.com/mchkzn/status/1388927122958393344

https://twitter.com/mchkzn/status/1388926884457635840

https://twitter.com/mchkzn/status/1388925084442714112

https://twitter.com/mchkzn/status/1388922622558314500

I was going to post it in the fountain thread, but was unable to find it.

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 11:35 PM

Not at my computer atm but St James Park is one of the best downtown parks in the city. All of the new upgrades look amazing. I do miss the old gazebo though. I suppose they took it out to deal with people using it as a shelter at night. I'll post pics later.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada