HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 2:12 AM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
the Union Bank/Royal Tower in Winnipeg (tallest from 1904-1906, I think) and FCP (actually First Bank Tower) (1975-present).
The Union bank building was still 4m shorter than the NY Life insurance on Place d'Armes. Although the Union was a legit steel-framed building with a full ten floors of office space, whereas the NYL is a hybrid of masonry on the lower floors and steel in the top, and it's 9th and 10th floors were apparently a legal library, whatever that means.

Interestingly, both towers are the same height when measured to the roofline (46m), but the NYL has that 4m little turret.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 3:39 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
The Union bank building was still 4m shorter than the NY Life insurance on Place d'Armes. Although the Union was a legit steel-framed building with a full ten floors of office space, whereas the NYL is a hybrid of masonry on the lower floors and steel in the top, and it's 9th and 10th floors were apparently a legal library, whatever that means.

Interestingly, both towers are the same height when measured to the roofline (46m), but the NYL has that 4m little turret.
Well it must be very close I guess since the Union Bank has (or had) a structure on the roof as well.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 3:48 AM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Well it must be very close I guess since the Union Bank has (or had) a structure on the roof as well.
Oh sure. As per my calculations (thanks to Google Earth), the Union Bank including its mechanical penthouse is 49m tall. The NYL with its turret is 52m, even though the official height is 50m.

This is all pointless late-night SSP nonsense though. I don't know why, but measuring and comparing the heights of obscure Canadian skyscrapers after a long day of work is strangely relaxing. Such is life I guess.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 3:58 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Oh sure. As per my calculations (thanks to Google Earth), the Union Bank including its mechanical penthouse is 49m tall. The NYL with its turret is 52m, even though the official states height for the NYL is 50m.

This is all pointless late-night SSP nonsense though. I don't know why, but measuring and comparing the heights of obscure Canadian skyscrapers after a long day of work is strangely relaxing. Such is life I guess.
What about to the top of its flagpole? That was always said to be the highest in the British Empire. I'll take that as my standard going forward!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 10:21 PM

Hey Chad Surrey's tallest U/C should be One Central at 44fl/134m:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox71 View Post
Taken a few days ago - photo mine:

Old Posted May 1, 2021, 4:57 PM
Riki beach

Oméga Condos Urbains in Rimouski on April 29

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 4:36 PM

Looks like Toronto's needs to be changed as it looks like The One got the green light for it's height increase and will now be 338.3m or 1,110 ft.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 6:09 PM

Ottawa's will very soon be changed to the Trinity Centre at Bayview developement at 234m (tallest tower). Digging should start any day now.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 6:40 PM

i really wish the trinity project was closer to the cbd but it's close enough I guess.. I'm really excited to see some height finally in Ottawa! This should be a good one

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 905er View Post
i really wish the trinity project was closer to the cbd but it's close enough I guess.. I'm really excited to see some height finally in Ottawa! This should be a good one
Its placement will make for an interesting skyline in the future. From the CBD's gothic spires, down to modern towers of varying heights at LeBreton Flats and the tower cluster of impressive height around Bayview station.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Its placement will make for an interesting skyline in the future. From the CBD's gothic spires, down to modern towers of varying heights at LeBreton Flats and the tower cluster of impressive height around Bayview station.
Not to mention the future cluster at Carling station. Ottawa is going to be a strange beast in the future. A historic district abutted by an underwhelming table top CBD, surrounded by mini skylines with proper skyscrapers.

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 3:45 PM

That's going to make a huge impact driving into Ottawa from a distance.

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 5:47 PM
The Vomit Bag.

How many floors?
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 5:50 PM
The Vomit Bag.

London's got a couple of 40 storey buildings under construction (or soon to be), which would be the two tallest in the city:

Centro, by Old Oak, 40s (part of a three building project, under construction): https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...55#post9270655

430 Ridout Street (not started yet, so there is always a cancellation risk): https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...67#post9268267
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
How many floors?
65, 56 and 27 the last time I checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
Not to mention the future cluster at Carling station. Ottawa is going to be a strange beast in the future. A historic district abutted by an underwhelming table top CBD, surrounded by mini skylines with proper skyscrapers.
It seems we're heading for a sort of polycentric layout. There's also mini TOD clusters forming at Westboro, Tunney's and Gladstone, and we still don't know what kind of height the Lebreton proposals will bring.

It's really a shame that our high tech companies and nhl team set up shop way out in the west instead of Lebreton. It really would've been the perfect place to create a dense high tech and entertainment district with some retail and residential. There's still hope that some of that can come to fruition, but I'm not holding my breath.

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 6:58 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Looks like Toronto's needs to be changed as it looks like The One got the green light for it's height increase and will now be 338.3m or 1,110 ft.
It did? I couldn't find any source for this online...I'd rather check to make sure this is approved. (Partly because it sounds unbelievable)

Still under review.....CC meeting will be needed before this is settled:

https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/...ile-163377.pdf

Look for 780 Yonge in the map if you want. I'll be very surprised if this is approved.

http://app.toronto.ca/AIC/index.do

Last edited by GeneralLeeTPHLS; May 7, 2021 at 7:57 PM.

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Bayview could even bleed into Tunney's, giving Ottawa a skyline 5km long. Talk about going from zero to hero.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 12:56 PM
Riki beach

Oméga Condos Urbains on August 13

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 4:15 AM

Regarding the Halifax project it is likely that Richmond Yards is the tallest currently under construction. That said the photo on the opening post shows the project but not the correct spot for this thread. That angle is from the rear (St. Alban's Street) and will be home to a couple of mid-rises. The front (Almon Street) is above grade and will be home to this tower and another mid-rise. I took the photo below this weekend.

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 8:18 AM
ARTchitecture

How tall is Richmond Yards gonna be?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada