HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 7:55 PM
somewhere in-between

^ Wow, that's huge, and the renderings look good.

Why is the new mayor opposed to it? If $3 million is coming from the Youngstown Foundation, does that mean the other estimated $3 million is all public money, or are there other funding sources?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
^ Wow, that's huge, and the renderings look good.

Why is the new mayor opposed to it? If $3 million is coming from the Youngstown Foundation, does that mean the other estimated $3 million is all public money, or are there other funding sources?
I admittedly don't know enough about it, but IIRC, the other $4 million is coming from a HUD loan. Not sure though. As for the new mayor, he argues that building such a large and ambitious park is a waste of money and that focus should be put on the rest of the city rather than Downtown - what he doesn't understand is that without a stable Downtown, there really isn't any reason for investment in the city at all, which is why this is such an important project.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 1:40 AM

New Infill Oppourtunity in Downtown, Wells Building Renovations Completed:
Source: Business Journal Daily, The Wells Building

The block of West Federal between Hazel and Chesnut Streets in Downtown has seen a lot of development in the past decade, especially with the arrival of the Youngstown Business Incubator, and new infill projects aimed at the tech industry - the area is called the "Downtown Tech Block." Strollo Architects has recently completed their renovations of the historic Wells Building bringing new office and apartment space (I will cover this more at the end of this post.) Strollo also owns the empty lot next to the Wells Building which has been vacant for a while. It is the last vacant lot on West Federal (excluding parking lots). While adding a parking lot seems to be a safe option, Strollo wishes to try their best to get a new building in this important piece of Downtown land. There is also an oppourtunity to incorporate the former State Theater facade to a new building (only the facade of the theater remains). Though no plans have been made yet, I am hoping that a proper infill building will go in here - it will help extend the streetwall in this up and coming section of Downtown.

Here is the proposed site of the project. The Wells Building is on the left,
the State Theater is on the right:

As for the Wells Building, I'm not sure when renovations were completed, but according to the article, the project has been done for a little while.

The first floor of the building has been converted into office space while the upper floors have been made into 12 apartments of varying sizes. Amenities include: high speed fiber internet, climate controlled storage space, 12 ft. ceilings, and adjacent parking. I can't find photos of the inside, so I will use renderings that I found.

Renderings of the now completed Wells Building apartments:

Photo of the new office space in the Wells Building:

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 1:46 AM
Posh

Hey cool, a Youngstown thread!

Good to see stuff happening there.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 11:31 PM

Downtown Columbiana, Ohio Recent Developments:

Columbiana is a suburb located about 20 minutes south of Youngstown. In recent years, the city has seen a lot of development and is strengthening its position as a retail destination. Its walkable Main Street/Downtown has been known for its various antique and craft stores, and is currently seeing an increase in development. There is also a new lifestyle center being developed there, Firestone Farms, which I will hopefully cover in another post. Downtown Columbiana, once a sleepy main street, is now seeing a huge boost in foot traffic and visitors. Millenials in the area are also moving into Columbiana in huge numbers due to the walkability and recent developments in the city. The following are a few of many projects in the Main Street area.

Main Street from the clock tower in the town square:

Birdfish Brewing Company opened in mid-2016. It is a popular micro-brewery and restaurant located on Main Street. It has frequent events such as concerts. The back side of the building has outdoor patio seating.

The outdoor patio at night:

Generations Coffee House has been in Columbiana since 2013, but closed in 2016 to undergo major renovations. This included exterior facade improvements as well as interior improvements. Generations has since become one of the area's most popular and 'trendy' coffee shops. In addition to coffee, it also serves breakfast on certain days and baked goods everyday.

The exterior after the recent renovations:

All Good Things is a vegetarian cafe and market located on Main Street. It opened in 2016. They integrate a casual dining atmosphere with a vintage soda fountain experience. Some of the things they are know for are smoothies, wraps, salads, sandwiches, and 'nicecream.' There is also a vegetarian market located in the store that sells produce and other healthy foods.

The interior of All Good Things:

Delightful is a new frozen yogurt shop on Main Street which opened in late 2016. It is connected to the Main Street Theater, which is used for local theater productions. The shop has homemade yogurt with a unique atmosphere.

The interior of Delightful:

There are many other upcoming projects in Downtown Columbiana. There will be a new winery and brewery opening in 2018. A small empty lot of Main Street will be converted into a park and dining area for food trucks. I will share more on these projects when information becomes available.

Another view of Downtown and the Main Street Theater:

Last edited by Dblcut3; Dec 2, 2017 at 7:56 PM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2017, 10:45 PM

YBI Tech Block Building #5 (Former Vindicator Building Renovations):

Recently, the Youngstown Business Incubator completed most of their renovations to the 86 year old on Chesnut Street in Downtown. Tech Block Building #5 is the newest addition to the growing Youngstown Business Incubator campus in Downtown. The renovations were mostly done by Strollo Architects, the firm who recently completed the mixed-use Wells Building renovations in the same block. Building #5 will be the center for the YBI's additive manufacturing operations. This will give companies better access to more space and better equipment. There will also be a classroom that will be used for lessons on additive manufacturing. The YBI aimed to keep the historic character of the building whilst modernizing the interior space. Some walls are yet to be put up until it is determined what businesses will be using what space.

The exterior of Tech Block Building 5:

Source: WKBN

Some photos of the interior of Tech Block Building 5:

Source: Strollo Architects

New Art Installation at the New Vindicator Building's Yard:
In other news, a new art installation has been placed in the empty green space in front of the Vindicator Building on the corner of Chesnut & Front Streets. The project, led by a YSU art professor, is made up of several 3D printed ceramic blocks and solar panels that are meant to light up. This is a part of the $100,000 gifted to YSU to go towards community art projects. I personally think it looks pretty out of place - the whole green space it is in really needs fixed up into a proper park in order for this artwork to meet its full potential.

Source: INPLACE

Last edited by Dblcut3; Dec 3, 2017 at 10:57 PM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 12:43 AM
somewhere in-between

^Yeah, it does seem out of place / random. But that's neat to hear about the gift to YSU to fund public art projects. Hopefully it will be followed by some pedestrian elements to make it more accessible.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 1:36 AM

Historic South Side 4-Plex Rehabilitation Project:
Source: Youngstown Neighborhood Development Corporation

The YNDC (Youngstown Neighborhood Development Corporation) is redeveloping a historic property in the Newport neighborhood on the South Side. It is located at 659 Clearmount Drive in a very endangered historic structure. (Click on the previous link to see what it looked like before the project began.) The YNDC is very good at fixing up properties all around the city - they are a major reason why the Idora neighborhood is experiencing a comeback. So far only preperation work has been done, but I am pretty excited to see what they do to this unique building.

Here is the exterior of the building as of today:

Mahoning Avenue Archway Lighting Completed:
Yet another project from the INPLACE art grant given to YSU has been completed. This project added lighting to a rather bland railroad bridge over Mahoning Avenue. To be honest, I'm a bit disappointed - the project originally was supposed to beautify the bridge with more than just lights, but I don't think that is happening anymore. Sort of a shame since this is in such a prominent location.

Here is a photo of the lights. Ignore the bad photo quality, its the only photo I could find:

New Historic Information Boards and Sidewalk Poetry:
Five new historical information display boards will be installed throughout Youngstown. These locations are: Central Square, B&O Railroad Station, the Bicentennial Memorial, the Arms Family Museum, and Wick Park Pavilion. The boards will include: written history, photographs, and scannable QR Codes for additional information. The signs will cost around $1,100 each and will be payed for by Youngstown CityScape.

Lit Youngstown, a local literary arts group has been permitted to embed poetry onto four sidewalks within the city. The locations have not yet been decided, but at least one will be placed on the newly renovated Wick Avenue corridor in the YSU neighborhood.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 10:38 PM

Wick Tower Apartments Virtual Tour:
Source: Matterport
The historic Wick Tower was converted into apartments a couple years ago by NYO Property Group. The building is usually fully rented, but a one bedroom apartment is now available. A pretty neat virtual reality tour has been made for the apartment - its a good example of the many successful new luxury apartment units in Downtown.

Click here for the tour of the apartment.

A photo of an apartment unit in Wick Tower:

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 7:18 PM

The Wedge at Hazel Hill Park:

The Wedge at Hazel Hill is a project I haven't really discussed yet. It is located on the corner of Hazel and Wood in between Downtown and YSU. It is meant to help bridge the gap between Downtown and the YSU Campus. This, along with the proposed Gallagher Building renovations on the same street, should help Downtown and YSU be more connected, at least on Hazel Street. It is one of the many art projects in Downtown being funded by the INPLACE grant given to the YSU Art Department. The park will mainly just be a landscaped greenspace to hang out in. Hammocks will be installed, and it will be used as a space for events such as outdoor movies.

The site of The Wedge at Hazel Hill. The Gallagher Building is the L shaped building closest to the park:

The master plan of The Wedge at Hazel Hill:

Electric Car Charging Stations in Downtown:
Source: Business Journal Daily

The YBI Building #5 in the old Vindicator Building has officially opened (see above posts for more info.) Its first tenant will be Strangepresse LLC. In the article, YBI discusses their plans to install a set of electric car charging stations in front of their main building on West Federal Street in Downtown. "The stations will reinforce YBI’s commitment to environmental standards and to being a very hip and cool downtown community" said CEO Barb Ewing.

The Location of the proposed Electric Car Charging Stations:

ONE Health Ohio coming to the South Side:
Source: Vindy

The City's Board of Control has signed a development agreement with ONE Health Ohio to purchase the former Bottom Dollar grocery store building on the corner of Glenwood and Indianola Avenues in the South Side. The health center will provide dental, medical, and behavioral health services to low income South Side residents. The Board also purchased 1005 Belmont Avenue on the North Side for $355,000. The city hopes to demolish the building and redevelop it.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 11:58 PM

Barnes & Noble Downtown/YSU Overview:

A new Barnes & Noble University Bookstore was completed on the corner of Fifth and Lincoln a few months ago. In addition to being a bookstore for Youngstown State University, it serves as a full size Barnes & Noble. It also has a section with YSU themed apparel and other items as well as a Starbucks on the first floor. Along with the University Edge Apartments project on the same block, this development has urbanized a section of town that was only used for surface parking.

Here is the master plan for the whole block - hopefully the empty land remaining along Fifth Avenue will eventually be developed:

The next picture is the Barnes & Noble Building from the outside. I am glad that they decided to put it along the street instead of making it into some suburban style plaza. YSU has been fairly good about keeping their new developments "urban" rather than "suburban." There is a lot of oppourtunity to develop the other corners of the intersection - they are all parking lots at the moment. It could help make this section of town become more walkable.

This new Barnes & Noble/Starbucks will not only help improve the YSU Campus, but it will bring people to Downtown to shop due to it being a full sized Barnes & Noble, not just a campus bookstore.

Here are some pictures of the interior - Personally, I am really happy with how it turned out:

Barnes & Noble will also be taking over the Eastern Gateway Bookstore in Downtown. That means there will be an expanded bookstore and Starbucks located on the corner of Boardman and Chestnut Streets in Downtown - but I can't find too much information on when this will be completed.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 3:03 AM
somewhere in-between

^ Looks good!

I think it's a smart thing Barnes & Noble has been doing, pairing up with Universities to serve as their official campus bookstore / coffee house / etc. I don't know how many there are now, but another one that I thought turned out well was The Barnes & Noble in Lewisburg, PA for Bucknell University, which was a remodel of a historic building in the small downtown. Today, it is the most 'urban' feeling part of the borough - 3 stories, full bookstore / campus store with Starbucks and additional community meeting space on the third floor:

Image Source: Tippetts Weaver Architects

The entire atrium was cut out of the original floor plates:

Image Source: hiveminer.com

Image Source: hiveminer.com

Community / study space on the top floor:

Image Source: PA Historic Preservation Commission

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
^ Looks good!

I think it's a smart thing Barnes & Noble has been doing, pairing up with Universities to serve as their official campus bookstore / coffee house / etc. I don't know how many there are now, but another one that I thought turned out well was The Barnes & Noble in Lewisburg, PA for Bucknell University, which was a remodel of a historic building in the small downtown. Today, it is the most 'urban' feeling part of the borough - 3 stories, full bookstore / campus store with Starbucks and additional community meeting space on the third floor:
Wow, that's a neat Barnes & Noble! Glad they could use the historic building in such a way! It's too bad the YSU campus is a few blocks away from the main Downtown area - there's a lot of historic buildings that could use something like that. But, I'm sure not complaining about all the new developments that YSU is bringing in to their part of Downtown!

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 8:22 PM

New Restaurant Planned Downtown Across From Amphitheater Development:
Source: WFMJ

Located at 201 W Front Street, the Former St. Vincent DePaul Building has been purchased by Earl Winner for $79,000. The new owner, who owns a nightclub in the city's South Side, hopes to turn the building into a restaurant. The details for what kind of restaurant or any plans are currently unknown. The city hopes that this will help spark more development along Front Street across from the upcoming Riverside Park/Amphitheater. They hope to see Front Street become an entertainment district. I believe that there is huge opportunity to build new apartment/mixed use buildings along the many surface lots on Front Street. Not only will they be close to the many shops/restaurants on Federal Street, but they will be right across the street from the new park. Front Street should also be rebuilt - currently it is 5 lanes! Hopefully when they get around to adding the planned bike lanes to Front Street, they will reduce it down to two lanes.

The Former St. Vincent DePaul Building:

My Thoughts on Developing Front Street:
Currently, the plan for Riverside Park calls for keeping the surface lots along Front Street - I see this as a huge problem. It will essentially disconnect the park from Downtown by having a whole block of surface parking in between.

As you can see in this rendering, the surface lots on the left will all remain:

I believe there is huge opportunity to develop this corridor into a proper entertainment/urban area. I found a rendering from 2015 of what the new park could look like if the land in front of it is developed. Though the plan for the park is different, the land it will use is the same as in this rendering. I'll admit, the rendering is pretty ambitious, but it gives a good idea of what Youngstown should strive for. Putting a few apartment buildings with occasional first floor retail doesn't seem too far fetched to me, and I think they would do well once the park and bike trail are completed. The surface parking could easily be made up with a parking garage, again with first floor retail space.

Image Source: The Jambar

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 8:12 PM
Beer Stampede

Glad to see some positive things happening for the Youngstown area. Seems like despite the downfall over the last several decades, the downtown area is still intact. Hopefully, this will snowball. Love the amphitheater project!!

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcexpress69 View Post
Glad to see some positive things happening for the Youngstown area. Seems like despite the downfall over the last several decades, the downtown area is still intact. Hopefully, this will snowball. Love the amphitheater project!!
The Downtown area actually suffered a lot just like the rest of the city. Luckily, the university began expanding and with that came new developments. Downtown soon followed and is now a stable neighborhood with lots of restaurants, entertainment, and apartments. It still has a lot of work to be done. Sadly, I don't see the rest of the city stabilizing anytime soon except for a few small neighborhoods here and there. Even though the YO is on an upward path, the damage done over the past few decades will linger on for many more decades I predict.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 4:23 PM

Renovations Coming to Historic Robins Theatre in Downtown Warren:
Source: TribToday

Developer Mark Marvins has purchased the historic Robins Theatre in Downtown Warren for $375,000. He plans to reopen the theater and turn the building into an entertainment hub. Marvins has already converted several other Downtown Warren buildings into luxury apartments and retail space. The estimated cost to reopen the 1,500 seat theater is between $5 million and $7 million. He hopes to use the theater for plays, concerts, comedy shows, and movies. The current retail and office tenants will remain in the building. Marvin hopes this project will bring more people Downtown and increase foot traffic in the neighborhood.

The exterior of Robins Theatre:

Mahoning Building Renovations:
Because we are talking about Mark Marvin's projects in Downtown Warren, let's take a look at the Mahoning Building. The $2 million renovation project brought 4 luxury apartments to the 5th and 6th floors and a penthouse on the seventh floor. The apartments are not for rent, and two of the one bedroom units are listed at $175,000 on Realtor. The building is a desirable place to live due to the neighborhood's walkability to shops and restaurants, and the close proximity to Courthouse Square and the parks along the Mahoning River.

The exterior of the Mahoning Building:

Inside one of the $175,000 one bedroom units:

It appears that Marvin is having trouble selling these units, which is no suprise to me. They seem very overpriced for one bedroom units in a city like Warren. They should be around $100,000 if he expects to sell them. I think renting them would make more sense, and I hope he goes this route with his future apartment projects in Downtown Warren.

Last edited by Dblcut3; Dec 27, 2017 at 4:49 PM.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 5:29 PM

DoubleTree By Hilton To Open On March 29:
Source: Business Journal Daily

The $32 million dollar renovation project for the historic Stambaugh Building by NYO Property Group will be completed in early 2018. The DoubleTree Hotel will open on March 29. The first floor of the building will have an upscale authentic Tuscan restaurant called YOSTERIA. It will also have an office for a bank and a new coffee shop/cafe. The second floor will have the hotel's lobby and conference room. Floors 3-11 will have 125 rooms, 18 of which will be suites. The 12th floor will have a ballroom/event center, and in the future, a rooftop bar will be added. The pedestrian plaza in front of the building has been reworked to include a driveway for hotel guests. All parking will be valet.

The view of the Stambaugh Building from Federal Plaza:

As many already know, Dominic Marchionda, the CEO of NYO Property Group, has been facing legal issues recently. He has been indicted on 102 counts ranging from aggravated theft to engaging in corrupt activity. Most notably, he is being accused of falsifying documents in order to receive more funds from the water department and using city loans for personal purchases. Despite this, the hotel project and his company (which own many Downtown apartment buildings) seem to be moving ahead just fine. Marchionda has resigned as the manager of the hotel project - the New York based company, Pan-Brothers Associates Inc. is now in charge of managing the project.

Inside one of the hotel rooms:

The entrance to the lobby:

A rendering of a hotel room in the building:

The hotel will hopefully do wonders for Downtown. With new restaurants, apartments, an amphitheater, a hotel, bikelanes, and more, Downtown is really coming along well recently. But, there is still so much work to be done. Outside of Federal Street, Downtown is still crumbling for the most part. Let's hope for some infill projects and more efforts to connect Downtown to the YSU campus.

Realty Tower Improvements:
In other news, 2 electric boards displaying information such as temperature, date, and time have been installed on Realty Tower, facing Federal Plaza and the Stambaugh Building. I'm not sure when they were installed, but they are at least new-ish.

The electronic boards, which are located at Starting Lineup Barber Shop:

Last edited by Dblcut3; Dec 30, 2017 at 5:40 PM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 3:57 AM
somewhere in-between

The Stambaugh renovation looks good!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 12:15 AM

International Towers Renovation Project:

So I found some news about renovations coming to what is arguably the biggest eyesore in Downtown Youngstown, International Towers. International Towers was acquired by Millenia Housing Development in 2009 and is now a section 8 apartment complex for elderly and disabled people.

Image Source: Business Journal Daily

In October 2016, work began on an improvement project for the tower. The exterior will be improved so the building is less of an eyesore. The several discolorations on the building will be cleaned up to match the rest of the building and removing through-window AC units. Most notably, the first floor will be modernized. The main entrance will double in size. The rest of the first floor, which is currently home to Talmer Bank, will be modernized with facade improvements. They hope to attract a restaurant into the building in the space facing Federal Plaza.

A rendering of the new main entrance and first floor:

The plaza in the front of the building will receive a lot of new improvements. This includes new landscaping and bike parking. On the back side of the building, there will be a picnic pavilion and a community garden. The parking lot will be completely redone. On the inside, units will be modernized.

A rendering of the whole project. Unfortunately, the photo is low-resolution:

An interesting takeaway I found from this was a "proposed bike lane" along Market Street. I haven't heard anything about this, but since this plan was drawn up in late 2016, its possible that the city may still have plans to implement it. This would be awesome as it would connect YSU to Downtown and the center of Downtown to the new park being built, and from there to Mill Creek Park with the new trail being built. While Googling to see if there's anything online about this, I found a pretty neat plan for the Downtown area - I will make a post about it later, but here's the link to it anyways.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations