HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 1:14 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
What are you talking about? 800 foot buildings easily dent Chicago's skyline, and 1000 footers make huge dents. Even a 700 footer west of Dearborn in RN would leave a big mark.
700 footer in River North would probably show up from the NW side, but I don't think it'd make much visual impact from the most common skyline view as seen from the Adler.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 1:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
700 footer in River North would probably show up from the NW side, but I don't think it'd make much visual impact from the most common skyline view as seen from the Adler.
Right, but now we're splitting hairs, the point is that there's plenty of room to make a strong impact on Chicago's skyline. That's why New York's isn't that interesting, for me. Chicago is still in the making.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 1:57 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
isn't that the original sears tower?
Yes.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 2:09 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
Do we have a forumer out there with enough talent to photoshop 800 & 1000 S Mich + 113 E Roosevelt into this shot?
I'm sure someone will make a better one, but just to get things started, here's one with 800 S Mich, 1000 S Mich, 113 E Roosevelt, Wolf Point South and Wanda Vista blocked out in approximate location and impact. I based locations assuming the original photo was taken from somewhere around Homan and Polk.

Original photo by harryc with edits by myself.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 2:11 PM
BANNED

Did anyone catch bKL's rendering this weekend for the 18-story 403 N Wabash project? It's a real beaut. Facade is similar 720 N LaSalle. There were permit drawings out on their desks, so I'm pretty sure it's what we're getting for the lot located just north of Trump.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
Yeah so lots of stuff happening at the meeting on Tuesday

Get Ready for the NIMBYS

I might need to move some stuff around, but I'll be there. These blue-haired cranks need to be silenced!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 3:45 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Will try to make it as well. Need to not just come out as very strongly pro-density, but also to expose the NIMBYs for the goofs that they are....

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 3:45 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
Did anyone catch bKL's rendering this weekend for the 18-story 403 N Wabash project? It's a real beaut. Facade is similar 720 N LaSalle. There were permit drawings out on their desks, so I'm pretty sure it's what we're getting for the lot located just north of Trump.

Cool, nice intel........for anyone: this is slated to be condos, right?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 3:52 PM
MPLSXCHI

Belgravia plans to begin sales on the condos within a month. ^

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 3:57 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
Right, but now we're splitting hairs, the point is that there's plenty of room to make a strong impact on Chicago's skyline. That's why New York's isn't that interesting, for me. Chicago is still in the making.
^ Well, you can make a dent in the skyline by adding a peak, that's for sure.

But I'm talking also about just adding to the general "breadth" of Chicago's skyline, which is also important. In that way, it's more difficult to make an impact.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 4:10 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
Belgravia plans to begin sales on the condos within a month. ^

Nice.

If these smallish projects that have launched/are launching sales this year continue to do very well over the next few months (at this point, I have little reason to doubt that will in fact be the case), I do expect that 2016 will be the year when we see the return of (at least pre-construction marketing, if not necessarily construction quite yet) medium-to-large sized condo projects being launched................let's say 100 units, up to, maybe 200-250 units at most.....then if those do well, and lending standards for condo construction continually loosen up some (but hopefully not go crazy!), then maybe 2017 is the year when we could see the return of ~300 units or even a bit larger launch......

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 5:12 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I believe a highrise is planned for this site, right? Forgetting which one.

Good news: you usually don't close a revenue-generating garage and retail shops unless you're ready to begin construction.

Yes, and also, saw that the demo permit was actually just issued for the garage, so it should be coming down quite soon.....I guess this tower will be going up at the same time as 151 N Franklin, and they should be joined not too long after I'd think by 130 N Franklin.....what a nice burst of proximate activity we're in store for for this corner of the Loop.....

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 5:51 PM
The City

^ Yep, the Loop is just getting more canyonized. God I love how evil the Loop is!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
^ Will try to make it as well. Need to not just come out as very strongly pro-density, but also to expose the NIMBYs for the goofs that they are....
The Alderman has been visiting condo association meetings in the South Loop (she was at my building last week, but I was out of town). Sent an email and got a reply (I assume from staff) that my pro-density (hey, taller, more density = more taxes) and anti-parking seems to be in minority.

I'll be there tomorrow also. I think if each of us makes 1 simple, clear point, it'll be more powerful.

- I'm going to push for lower parking / ratio due to the fact that it creates traffic (and from the point of a view of a condo owner across the street... and also lower parking ratio & no balconies will make it impossible to do a condo conversion. Let's help the selfish people see what is in their own best interests.)

- Can someone point out that these buildings will be ~30+ stories no matter what so will block views as is... best to then get them as tall and skinny as possible and create as much additional tax revenue as possible (it's ~$50k of taxes / floor. 10 floors = $500k! So chopping a few floors while still blocking view doesn't make anyone better off. It makes us worse off.)

- Can someone else then mention that these 1 bedrooms / studios will not have any children with them, so don't actually add to the school burden (but do add taxes.) (might need to be the same person if there aren't enough of us.) (some idiot will ask how this will affect "our over crowded schools")

- Someone else should just say that they support these rental developments as they make the neighborhood better for businesses in the area (which is what gives the PDNA $$) and makes the neighborhood more vibrant, and makes the neighborhood more valuable. And that the silent majority (most of the thousands who live in the area aren't here, but working hard to pay the cities taxes) probably also support (chime in the clapping! =)

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0soleil View Post
The Alderman has been visiting condo association meetings in the South Loop (she was at my building last week, but I was out of town). Sent an email and got a reply (I assume from staff) that my pro-density (hey, taller, more density = more taxes) and anti-parking seems to be in minority.

I'll be there tomorrow also. I think if each of us makes 1 simple, clear point, it'll be more powerful.

- I'm going to push for lower parking / ratio due to the fact that it creates traffic (and from the point of a view of a condo owner across the street... and also lower parking ratio & no balconies will make it impossible to do a condo conversion. Let's help the selfish people see what is in their own best interests.)

- Can someone point out that these buildings will be ~30+ stories no matter what so will block views as is... best to then get them as tall and skinny as possible and create as much additional tax revenue as possible (it's ~$50k of taxes / floor. 10 floors = $500k! So chopping a few floors while still blocking view doesn't make anyone better off. It makes us worse off.)

- Can someone else then mention that these 1 bedrooms / studios will not have any children with them, so don't actually add to the school burden (but do add taxes.) (might need to be the same person if there aren't enough of us.) (some idiot will ask how this will affect "our over crowded schools")

- Someone else should just say that they support these rental developments as they make the neighborhood better for businesses in the area (which is what gives the PDNA $$) and makes the neighborhood more vibrant, and makes the neighborhood more valuable. And that the silent majority (most of the thousands who live in the area aren't here, but working hard to pay the cities taxes) probably also support (chime in the clapping! =)
You've just got to kill them with facts...

http://www.cityofchicago.org/content..._Chapter5a.pdf
Quote:
MAINTAIN A CRITICAL DENSITY
The density of the Central Area is key to its success. Even in an age when everybody is connected electronically, there is no substitute for proximity in maintaining and building a diverse, competitive central business district. Functionally, this level of economic activity is most efficiently accessed and served when it is compact. The density of the Central Area must be maintained.
http://www.cityofchicago.org/content..._Chapter5c.pdf

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 7:27 AM

Thanks for the sketchup Emathias. You read my mind throwing Vista and WP in there too.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 7:31 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
Thanks for the sketchup Emathias. You read my mind throwing Vista and WP in there too.
you may want to look at my post again.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 7:36 AM

What am i missing?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 8:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
you may want to look at my post again.
What's the blue line to the right of Trump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
I might need to move some stuff around, but I'll be there. These blue-haired cranks need to be silenced!
No blue hair... More like middle-age yuppie butt-hurt.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 8:41 AM

I thought that was Wanda tower

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations