HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 12:01 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Ha! Is there really a restaurant named "Nuance"? That would be the ultimate irony.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 12:13 AM
Ascension

^ There was a 'lounge' in La Encantada (a BEAUTIFUL shopping mall on the north side of Tucson near the foothills that overlooks the city) called Nuance. No one went there so it closed down. Now it's some upscale eatery.

But it catered to those high class whores (and by whores I mean college girls) who despite them not being able to get into UCLA, dress as though they're from Los Angeles. Lots of those running around at the U of A. Tucson is alright but I'm back in Cali for a month and trust me there is nothing like SoCal.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 12:48 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

I would like to be introduced to some of these high class whores.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 6:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
I would like to be introduced to some of these high class whores.
Just ask Tiger, he'll show you show you how to get a hole in one!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 6:39 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Zing! Didn't take long for the Tiger jokes to permeate the forum. Ha!

But back on topic, I saw construction crews laying track down on the Expo line between Vermont and Normandy yesterday. I drive this route every day on the way to work, so I see the progress on a day-to-day basis, which gives me a very slow-moving perspective. So it was exciting to see some real, visible, tangible progress.

And toward the end of Phase 1, the columns for the overpass at National just south of Washington in Culver City are going in, and they are absolutely massive. As are the traffic jams as they narrow National into one twisty lane in each direction.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2009, 11:40 AM

Vine Aerial

Uploaded on December 2, 2007
by dugm2

Can somebody post a current picture of this same view? This photo was posted 2 years ago and this area has changed since. Thank you.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 3:38 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

So I was at the Beverly Center last night, and they've fenced off the surface lot across the street at San Vicente and Gracie Allen Drive in the Cedars-Sinai complex. There's lot's of heavy equipment in there, and about 6 months ago there was a facade mock-up on the same site. I did a cursory search on Cedars-Sinai's web site and couldn't find anything. Anyone know what's going down - or up - there?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 5:34 PM
BANNED

I remember from some thread that Cedars had permission to put up one or two buildings, including a tower. I assume it either goes on that spot or this is the staging area.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2009, 10:58 PM
Environmental Sabotage

I think the soon to open W is coming along nicely. Although I am not entirely impressed with the architecture I like the look from Hollywood Blvd at street level and the appearance of the subway entrance:

The Jefferson:

Jefferson along with development across the street makes for nice canyon on McCadden:

Sunset and Vine:

Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 12:01 AM

Thank you for the update! The Vine side of the W Hotel or 1600 N Vine is also really nice. I actually really like the modern architecture of the mixed-use complex. Esp. the use of LED pillars on the Vine St. side probably a mandate from the city to include some form of art installation? I don't think they've been turned on yet, but I am eager to see what they will look like when they are turned on!

Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 1:00 AM
Ascension

The W looks a LOT better than what I thought it would.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 1:06 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ The street level view is quite nice. Once you look up, it loses its merits very quickly. I do agree with LAB on the Vine facade treatment looking better than the Hollywood side. It's not award-winning by any stretch of the imagination, but it turned out better than I thought it would.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 9:00 PM

The former luggage store that caused a lot of controversy before construction started is now fully incorporated into the Vine St. side of the project. It actually looks really good! They rehabbed it and I was wondering if the new facade of the luggage store is what the small building store front used to really look like. Because isn't it a historic building?

Anyway, I was thinking back when it was decided that it would be included in the project that it would turn out hideous, but I couldn't have been more wrong.

From my understanding, the owner of the luggage shop CASHED OUT and the space is now going to be leased out to someone else?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 9:59 PM
Environmental Sabotage

I should have gotten a picture of it but I can't believe it is just a facade that sits in front of the hotel. That said, it does blend in nicely with the complex. I would assume that they brought it back to its original appearance when it was first built. I think that whole controversy delayed the project 2 or 3 years too.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 6:36 AM

Uploaded on December 11, 2009
by impalergeneral

Capitol Records

Are there any development plans for the plot to the left?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 6:43 AM

Uploaded on December 11, 2009
by impalergeneral

This way to the subway, not the W

For those who may visit the new W Hotel at Hollywood and Vine. This is not the entrance to the lobby. It is, however, where you go to get to the Red Line

The Big W

It's not open yet, but it's already the most famous billboard in town

Hollywood and Highland Xmas tree

This is the center of the holiday at Hollywood and Highland

Look out, Citywalk

It may be six months before it's ready to serve food, but the new Hard Rock Cafe is all set for customers at Hollywood and Highland, where people used to buy records

Last edited by tommaso; Dec 18, 2009 at 8:35 AM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 7:11 AM

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 7:40 AM

Uploaded on November 20, 2009
by rwoan

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 11:49 AM

Hollywood is lookin' so good now! I love it! Keep doing what it's been doing. Now we need BLVD6200 to break ground...

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 5:06 PM
BANNED

Hurray for Hollywood!, etc, etc! Hopefully just the start.

But I'm greedy: ban all billboards unless they are neon or digital (or submit the issue of billboards to district by district votes).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations