HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 2:12 AM

/\/\/\ What building?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 2:31 AM
Space Magi

In the Venue was a concert venue in the Depot District that the awful "Central Station West" development is going to replace if they get approval from the Planning Commission.

Basically, they want to reuse the design of the nearby "Central Station" apartments and they can't do that without getting an exception to the part of the code that says "no giant concrete walls along the street." The new building also will have no active ground floor use.

Some nice drone shots of the construction at Rice-Eccles on Utehub today:

Last edited by Atlas; Sep 21, 2020 at 4:55 AM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 4:21 AM

I don't understand why In the Venue is being torn down before the Central Station West apartments are even approved. What a disappointment.

Orlando, it's this building:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7649...7i16384!8i8192

It may not be a notable building architecturally speaking, but it's been a hub of Salt Lake nightlife for a long time.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 5:59 AM

I was downtown yesterday and snapped some quick pics for project updates! Apparently I am out of touch posting on here and the images from photobucket have their lame logo on them, so I apologize in advance!

You can definitely see the core of the convention center hotel being formed and rebar being put in place.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 5:07 PM

A new apartment building has been proposed in the center of a block near 800 East and Ramona. The project will include one 3-floor building with 17 residential units. I don't think they have settled on a name yet, since in the documents they refer to it as Windsor Court, Sugarhouse Commons, and Sugarhouse Windsor.

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

The address used in the document was: 1966 S. Windsor Street

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
A new apartment building has been proposed in the center of a block near 800 East and Ramona. The project will include one 3-floor building with 17 residential units. I don't think they have settled on a name yet, since in the documents they refer to it as Windsor Court, Sugarhouse Commons, and Sugarhouse Windsor.

And commence NIMBY's in the area losing it over this development.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 5:33 PM

The Village at North Station - Design Review

A large apartment complex has filed for a Design Review. https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection= The project will be replacing a portion of the Diamond Parking lot near the airport (though it sounds like this portion hasn't been used for a while).

Project Description
Quote:
Gardner Batt & Architecture Belgique Inc. are proposing the redevelopment of 1925 W North Temple which is the current location of Diamond Airport Parking.

The new 769-Unit 100% Affordable Housing development will be replacing the non-conforming Diamond Airport Parking Site.

This 7 apartment building and 1 amenity-building complex will include a block style layout with a private main drive from North Temple that continues south and east through the development connecting back onto the South End of Orange St. This development aims to bring a lively pedestrian friendly residential component to the TSA-MUEC Zone. Midblock walkways along with typical sidewalks allow pedestrian transit within the development helping to create a neighborhood style feel.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 5:37 PM

I was about to defend the NIMBYs, but this actually looks pretty appropriate for a commercial adjacent structure. There is a wonderfully productive mulberry in that lot, which I'm sure will be cut down for this though. Unless the wind storm already got it, that is.

Edit: I was slow to post. I was referring to the Windsor street development above. As to this one. Great to add a ton of units to the west side on the transit line, but I don't like that it is 100% affordable. Not that it is likely to become Cabrini Green, but I think mixing in affordable with market rate leads to better outcomes.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 6:00 PM

INDUSTRY Parking Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Building Salt Lake gave us another great update on the Granary.
https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/the...kL5CNZkJtCoVj0

Here are some of the projects that I was unaware of:

Industry and another partner Qfactor are making plans to develop the block to the east of Industry's newly completed warehouse office adaptive re-use.

The thing I find most interesting about the parking garage is that it includes a large climbing wall and gym as part of it. Also I love that they are retrofitting the parking structure so that it can be turned into housing units in the future.

From the BSL article https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/the...kL5CNZkJtCoVj0
Quote:
As INDUSTRY’s next-gen office space on 500 West comes together, it is building with its partner Q Factor a seven-story, 927-stall parking garage in the middle of the block between 500 + 400 West and 600 + 700 South.

Their proposal is requesting relief from the 60 ft height restriction and requirements for front and rear yard setbacks, and is nearing a hearing with the Planning Commission for design and planned development review.

Q Factor’s Jesse Dean told us that the garage is being built with sprinklers and a high floor-to-floor ratio that will allow its easy conversion to multi-family residential in the future if the area’s transit options grow.

The convertible design has cost the developers approximately 30% more than the typical 18,000-$20,000 per structured parking stall.

The parking garage is intended to service all of INDUSTRY’s planned construction in the District, plus Lake Union Partners’ adaptive reuse project on the southeast side of the block, on 400 West and 700 South.
I also pulled the images from engine 8 themselves, since I they are larger and clearer then the ones from BSL. https://www.engine8designs.com/climb...et76ry9r8v5vg6

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post
Edit: I was slow to post. I was referring to the Windsor street development above. As to this one. Great to add a ton of units to the west side on the transit line, but I don't like that it is 100% affordable. Not that it is likely to become Cabrini Green, but I think mixing in affordable with market rate leads to better outcomes.
This is another example of packing the west side with 100% affordable housing developments. I agree they should be mixed income, and should have a maximum of 50% of the units affordable, so that they are not cementing into place census tracts of inter-generational poverty, and overwhelming local schools with more kids below the poverty line.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 11:01 PM
Space Magi

Anyone heard anything about Moda Luxe or 255 S. State lately?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 11:17 PM

Ya, good question. What is happening with 255 State?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 11:45 PM

The Village at North Station is trash. It is suburban dev at its worst with a design that maximizes investor profit while leaving the city to hold the bag for decades to come. This will turn into a frequent source of police calls and will be blighted within years. It uses no urban design principles integrated or flow. With that said I LOVE Industry more and more.

Last edited by Always Sunny in SLC; Sep 23, 2020 at 2:21 AM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinginformed View Post
And commence NIMBY's in the area losing it over this development.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post
I was about to defend the NIMBYs, but this actually looks pretty appropriate for a commercial adjacent structure. There is a wonderfully productive mulberry in that lot, which I'm sure will be cut down for this though. Unless the wind storm already got it, that is.

I was just thinking the same thing after I checked out the address. Anyone who is unfamiliar with the street, check out Google Maps with photos on this one, and you'll see what we mean. I'm thinking there shouldn't be a problem with nimby's, given its location and immediate surroundings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post

Last edited by delts145; Sep 23, 2020 at 12:46 AM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Anyone heard anything about Moda Luxe or 255 S. State lately?
I was just wondering the same thing today. Maybe UtahPlanner, Makid or someone has an idea. Seemed like construction was imminent, then suddenly it all came to a halt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
The Village at North Station is trash. It is suburban dev at its worst with a design that maximizes investor profit while leaving the city to hold the bag for decades to come. This will turn into a frequent source of police calls and will be blighted within 29 years. It is no urban design principles integrated or flow. With that said I LOVE Industry more and more.
Hopefully, The Village won't turn into a huge ghetto block, but instead with a few adjustments in the approval process, a good opportunity for the city to provide severely needed decent affordable housing. I agree that there should be at least some percentage of mixed-income. In addition, often the future outcome of renter quality in a large complex like this very much depends on who the owner of the property is and its management team. If the city is smart they'll do some serious due diligence on the owners and management during its approval process, along with serious followup after the project completion and tenant move-in. Remember, affordable doesn't have to mean vagrant. Nowadays, affordable can mean a lot of things, from school teachers to health care workers, or many hard-working people in the services industry. Even here in Los Angeles, owners have a lot of latitudes when it comes to who they rent to. The problems usually occur when owners either are out of sight/out of mind and or they fail to hire a highly reputable management company with an excellent track record. A good management company will do some serious pre-rent follow-up on tenant track records.

Ditto to loving The INDUSTRY development.

Last edited by delts145; Sep 23, 2020 at 1:34 AM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 2:54 AM

I agree with Always Sunny. I hope this doesn't get off the ground - North Temple has enough issues as it is.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 4:48 AM

Does anyone know what this building on Edison will be? It's a reuse of an old building with an addition on top.

https://imgur.com/u5bsbaS

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC PopPunk View Post
Does anyone know what this building on Edison will be? It's a reuse of an old building with an addition on top.

https://imgur.com/u5bsbaS
It's being converted into a mixed use building with light commercial and 8 apartments.
https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...ncyCode=SLCREF

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 7:40 AM

There's a work session for the first part of the Sears Block development scheduled for the planning committee meeting tonight. This is about the previously-discussed Z-shaped 11-story building proposed to go at the corner of 800 S and State Street.

http://www.slcdocs.com/Planning/Plan.../00439Memo.pdf

Overall I think this is a good start and the developers seem to understand the potential of the block. The apartment and retail look very solid and I'm not too bothered about the long facade given the other features.

That said, I do think they should allow more space for on-street dining out front. I'm also concerned about the proposed interior park - it is completely surrounded by roads. That seems to defeat the purpose of having an interior park in a supposed pedestrian-freindly development. Hopefully the work session addresses that in some way, but the park isn't part of this particular proposal, so there's still plenty of time for things to change. I also heard early on that they wanted to find a way to keep the taco carts on that corner around, but I didn't see anything about it in the document.

Still I'm excited to see some real, actual mixed-use development come to that portion of State Street. It is much needed.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 9:10 AM
One Thing At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil View Post
It's being converted into a mixed use building with light commercial and 8 apartments.
https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...ncyCode=SLCREF
I can’t believe Ben Logue avoided prison much less is still doing development deals.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West