HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 12:44 AM
BANNED

^Possibly due to environmental concerns ie Asbestos, lead, etc. I recall seeing a photo with a portion of the structure identified as “Hot”.

Or perhaps they’re reusing it as part of the new tower’s core

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 1:58 AM

Maybe they need a high reach excavator and they were waiting for one to free up from another project; there were multiple working at the Amtrak garage, Heneghan probably doesn't have that many of them. They were probably able to get the majority of the building using just a regular machine because it was wood/brick/steel and that can be pulled down with relative ease.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^Possibly due to environmental concerns ie Asbestos, lead, etc. I recall seeing a photo with a portion of the structure identified as “Hot”.

Or perhaps they’re reusing it as part of the new tower’s core
The hot was referring to a conduit with live electric service.

I would make a stunning centerpiece to any modern lobby. A bit of the old Pipers Alley.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 4:07 AM
BANNED

^I noticed that on the conduit but couldn’t understand why they’d leave any live power up there. Perhaps it was for temp lighting.

At any rate, the “core” was completely demo’d yesterday by way of a wrecking ball.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 3:46 AM
Chicago

November 13, 2019

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 8:50 AM
Chicago

November 15, 2019

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 12:27 AM

Sterling Bay to open citizenM in Chicago mixed-use development

by Chuck Dobrosielski | Nov 21, 2019 5:22pm

Real estate investment and development group Sterling Bay revealed plans to introduce the citizenM brand to Chicago. The newly constructed hotel is to be part of a mixed-use project the Chicago-based company is developing with Magellan Development Group.

As currently planned, the development will include a 47-story tower with 289 residential units, 25,000 square feet of retail space and 280 hotel rooms. A subsidiary of citizenM will acquire the citizenM Chicago Downtown upon its completion, subject to the realization of certain construction and opening milestones.

“Chicago has always served as one the most important financial, entertainment, business and cultural capitals in the world, but in the past few years has also become one of its largest tech hubs due to its incredible talent pool,” Ernest Lee, citizenM’s managing director and head of development and investments in North America, said in a statement. “As we continue our brand expansion and increase awareness in the U.S., it was important to us to have a presence in this market.”

CitizenM, a Netherlands-based hotel brand, currently has three hotels open in the United States—two in New York City and one in Boston. Additionally, it has projects under development in Miami, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle and Washington, D.C.

Sterling Bay has created urban campus headquarters for Google, McDonald’s, Uber, Glassdoor, Dyson, Hillshire Brands and Pinterest. Today, it maintains a $5 billion real estate portfolio.

CitizenM opened its first hotel in Amsterdam’s Schiphol Airport in 2008. It now has more than 30 hotels with more than 7,000 rooms open or under development

http://https://www.hotelmanagement.n...se-development

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 12:32 AM

Another hotel headed to Michigan Avenue: Dutch company citizenM bills itself as ‘affo

Another hotel headed to Michigan Avenue: Dutch company citizenM bills itself as ‘affordable luxury,’ skips the room service

By RYAN ORI
CHICAGO TRIBUNE |
NOV 19, 2019 | 10:58 AM

https://www.chicagotribune.com/colum...d4e-story.html

Dutch hotel company citizenM plans to enter Chicago with a 280-room hotel on North Michigan Avenue, within a 47-story tower planned just south of the river.

CitizenM will open the hotel on floors six through 15 of the 523-foot-tall building at 300 N. Michigan Ave. The tower also will include 289 rental apartments, 25,000 square feet of retail space, residential amenities on the 46th floor and a 22-space parking garage below ground.

The hotel plans were disclosed Tuesday by the Netherlands-based company and the building’s developers, Chicago’s Sterling Bay and Magellan Development Group. It’s unclear when the hotel is expected to open, but construction should start early next year.

It is designed by Chicago-based bKL Architecture. The hotel’s interiors will be designed by Amsterdam-based design firm Concrete.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 1:03 AM

This is exciting. Chicago is being mulled over all over the world.

I love it when international flair gets mixed in, however significant. Dutch? Sure. Wilkom!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
November 13, 2019

I wish I was in Chicago right now (NC) to take a straight on shot of the back right of this building. That image of the staircase outline ( and all those wonderful colors and textures) of the demo'ed building on the existing building is gold. Nick! opportunities!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 3:32 AM

Wait, Michigan is elevated there? Is there basement access?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Wait, Michigan is elevated there? Is there basement access?
Yes. Lower Michigan Ave.

https://images.app.goo.gl/mFhfYVHyuXmKRWi17

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk66 View Post
I wish I was in Chicago right now (NC) to take a straight on shot of the back right of this building. That image of the staircase outline ( and all those wonderful colors and textures) of the demo'ed building on the existing building is gold. Nick! opportunities!
That would take a bit o gymnastics - there is a construction barrier up along uppper E S Water. This shot is from where the scaffolding doesn't quite meet the Chicago Auto Club.

If you could spring it the prosper room in Carbide and Carbon might offer the angle.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
That would take a bit o gymnastics - there is a construction barrier up along uppper E S Water. This shot is from where the scaffolding doesn't quite meet the Chicago Auto Club.

If you could spring it the prosper room in Carbide and Carbon might offer the angle.
Ah. 10-4. Thanks Harry. Sometimes history reveals itself in the oddest way. So cool that wall is.

So amazing that buildings hooked up like that.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 5:31 PM

Its an acceptable trade off imo to have a shorter tower but with no above grade parking.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 2:02 PM

Nov 15

Aiding in the "no above grade parking" is raising the grade. The ramp for Michigan ave bridge adds an entire level

This would be such a unique "art" installation for the lobby.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Nov 15

Aiding in the "no above grade parking" is raising the grade. The ramp for Michigan ave bridge adds an entire level

I love this shot. Looks like a level from an old 8 bit video game got imprinted onto the wall.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 3:27 PM

^^^ Amazing comment. I'm totally getting Castlevania vibes.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 4:47 PM

Also this cover of Georges Perec's Life: A User Manual:

Source: Amazon

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 2:55 AM
Chicago

November 25, 2019

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive