HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 10:53 PM

130 Corridor and Far Eastern Metro Update

Here's a good place to file all those far eastside projects that are gobbling up all the open space out there.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 10:59 PM

Austin Green

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...-step-forward/

Quote:
[AUSTIN (Austin Business Journal) — A massive mixed-use proposal in far southeastern Austin is taking initial steps toward approval at City Hall — with more votes looming in the coming months.

Austin City Council voted Jan. 23 to adopt a consent agreement for a municipal utility district for the Austin Green mixed-use project.

With Austin in short supply of housing, GroundWork wants to build 12,000 residential units — from detached residential homes to high-density, urban apartments — on a 2,122-acre site straddling State Highway 130 from the Colorado River to FM 969. The site, in Austin’s extraterritorial jurisdiction located three miles from Austin-Bergstrom International Airport and eight miles from downtown, is currently an active sand and gravel quarry.

[IMG]https://media.bizj.us/view/img/11077238/screen-shot-2018-10-05-at-22251-pm*750xx985-554-0-58.png[/IMG]

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 11:12 PM

Amazon -- Project Charm

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200...oning-approval

Quote:
Rumored Amazon facility in Pflugerville gets rezoning approval

[By Ariana Garcia

Posted Jan 28, 2020 at 8:53 PM
A project for what will be the largest distribution facility in Central Texas gained approval this week from the Pflugerville City Council.

Following more than an hour of discussion and a public hearing, the council approved on second reading Tuesday night a request to rezone a 94-acre tract along the north side of Pecan Street and south of Wilbarger Creek to a planned unit development.

The 3.8 million-square-foot distribution and logistics center rumored to be Amazon is planned for the property. Charles Harvey, a commercial broker with Don Quick & Associates, said if built it would be the largest facility of its kind in the region.

The facility would be more than four times larger than Amazon’s 855,000-square-foot facility in San Marcos.

Before making a motion to approve the request, Council Member Doug Weiss said the developer has made a “concerted effort” to address concerns from residents.
Also here: https://www.virtualbx.com/constructi...arly-approval/

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 11:14 PM

In my travels I stumbled across a Statesman article from 2018 that had a nice roundup + graphic of projects that are still in motion, as far as I can tell.

https://www.statesman.com/storyimage...-181109486.jpg

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 11:16 PM

The Velocity development near the airport got a density boost.

According to the ABJ, Plans for Velocity, formerly called Velocity Crossing, now call for 7 million square feet of apartments, offices, industrial and other commercial space on 314 acres Austin-based Marketplace Real Estate Group said in a June 15 announcement. Originally, 5.5 million square feet of development was proposed.
Included in the revised plans are 2,683 apartments; 2.9 million square feet of office space, allowing for two large corporate campuses along with traditional office space; 585,000 square feet of flex industrial and creative office; and 310,000 square feet for other commercial uses including retail, restaurants, a movie theater and three hotels. It will all surround a seven-acre central park. https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...source=twitter

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 11:17 PM

Nice, thanks for crossposting this.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 1:04 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

I'm very curious about how they plan to mitigate runoff from such a massive amount of impervious cover, especially since it's clearly visible in the overhead satellite image that it bumps right up to a creek. It will completely change that creek's drainage patterns for everyone living downstream along it as well as any pollution that gets washed from the facility. I'm assuming there will be some large collection ponds, but they really need to create a natural riparian environment around those collection ponds so that increased runoff won't end up destroying the downstream creek environment.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 2:40 PM

Suburbia disturbia. Junk tract homes, auto-oriented sprawl, and land-greedy oversized warehouses.

But at least Velocity looks like it has some density.

The same people who will be living in these areas will be the same ones complaining about traffic, tolls, etc. "14 lane highways for everyone, everywhere!"

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx299 View Post
Suburbia disturbia. Junk tract homes, auto-oriented sprawl, and land-greedy oversized warehouses.

The same people who will be living in these areas will be the same ones complaining about traffic, tolls, etc. "14 lane highways for everyone, everywhere!"
Jesus Christ, people need a place to live. Maybe you should be mad at the asshats who sued the city and stopped the land use reform in court right before its final vote.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx299 View Post

Spare me. This is the fastest growing part of the city, and place where whole neighborhoods are being planned and built. Urbanists have arguably the most sway here. They may not be able to change the macro picture of the city -- transit in and between city nodes -- but ABSOLUTELY can build walkable, ped-and-bike-and-transit oriented internals in each of these places. Check out the Domain and Mueller for two top of mind examples of what can happen.

Also-- this part of the city is where huge new employers are situating -- Amazon for sure, Tesla maybe, and a ton more yet to be determined. We may not get skyscrapers out of these areas, but they sure as hell determine what comes next to Austin, and what gets built downtown.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 5:05 PM
PrimaPix Visuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Spare me. This is the fastest growing part of the city, and place where whole neighborhoods are being planned and built. Urbanists have arguably the most sway here. They may not be able to change the macro picture of the city -- transit in and between city nodes -- but ABSOLUTELY can build walkable, ped-and-bike-and-transit oriented internals in each of these places. Check out the Domain and Mueller for two top of mind examples of what can happen.

Also-- this part of the city is where huge new employers are situating -- Amazon for sure, Tesla maybe, and a ton more yet to be determined. We may not get skyscrapers out of these areas, but they sure as hell determine what comes next to Austin, and what gets built downtown.
Not to mention it will add a lot to the attractiveness of the far east side and will hopefully offer some decent affordable housing. All of this is definitely much better than the vast nothingness that is out there now. Not to mention, its less than 10 miles from downtown.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 7:28 PM

Northpointe Pflugerville

Just north of the distribution center, there is the NorthPointe development. I don't see this happening anytime soon because the developer doesn't have a track record of this type of development. It is being developed by the Negba Group. If it does, I do like the artificial trees.

In general, new development in Pflugerville is using narrow lots. Most new development have 45 and 55 foot lots. My subdivision has 70 foot lots. The city sees the narrow lots as good for city finances. The somewhat denser development has higher valuations than larger lots.

https://www.statesman.com/photogalle...729009997/PH/1

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 8:08 PM

Those NorthPointe renderings are very impressive, but where's all the parking? For a suburban project, albeit dense, there doesn't seem to be any above-ground parking garages in the plan. I don't see how underground parking would be profitable either.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echostatic View Post
Those NorthPointe renderings are very impressive, but where's all the parking? For a suburban project, albeit dense, there doesn't seem to be any above-ground parking garages in the plan. I don't see how underground parking would be profitable either.
3/22 sort of look like garages to me in the foreground.

Just with decorations, like this one in the Domain

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.4008...7i16384!8i8192

Would make sense to, put them next to the highway where they can screen a bit of the noise.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 9:47 PM

This is also planned at the northeast corner of SH130 and Pecan:

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200...rville-council

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostly_afk View Post
Just north of the distribution center, there is the NorthPointe development. I don't see this happening anytime soon because the developer doesn't have a track record of this type of development. It is being developed by the Negba Group. If it does, I do like the artificial trees.

In general, new development in Pflugerville is using narrow lots. Most new development have 45 and 55 foot lots. My subdivision has 70 foot lots. The city sees the narrow lots as good for city finances. The somewhat denser development has higher valuations than larger lots.

https://www.statesman.com/photogalle...729009997/PH/1
Forty-five and 55' wide lots are not narrow. They are standard. My lot is 37'. In real cities, most lots are 25' or less.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 2:06 PM

My lot is 60', standard for my neighborhood. The neighborhood behind me has 75' lots, but it's older. Looking around other parts of South Austin, it looks like nearly every lot is 50-60'.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 2:52 PM

Travis County Proposal for Tesla Factory is on the east side of 130 just north of the Colorado River.

4 -5 million square foot manufacturing
plant.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Forty-five and 55' wide lots are not narrow. They are standard. My lot is 37'. In real cities, most lots are 25' or less.
For Pflugerville, and other suburbs, the change from 70 to 50 or less is a big deal. When I moved the Pflugerville, 20 years ago, the city only approved developments with wide lots.

I don't have any problem with the smaller lots as long there are services within walking distance. I am lucky to live in the older section of Pflugerville. I have dining, bars, coffee and essential goods all within walking distance. All for a fraction of the cost of similar neighborhoods in Austin.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyk View Post
This is also planned at the northeast corner of SH130 and Pecan:

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200...rville-council
Here's a link to full details on this development. This development is just a short drive from Austin Executive Airport.

https://pflugerville.legistar.com/Le...tions=&Search=

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin