HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

The site actually needs a lot of fill to level things out.
Maybe they were just moving the earth around the site. I didn't actually see any trucks leaving the location. The Tannery Place building will have underground parking. I did notice that section of the crane lying on the ground.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 12:13 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Tannery Place South - Current status.

At the centre of the photo, you can see a block of cement with the base of a tower crane anchors into it. Otherwise, some of the formwork for the underground parking has been installed.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 2:47 AM

We may get some more details through this:

Quote:
UNVEILING OF TANNERY PLACE AT THE JUNCTION URBAN VILLAGE IN MONCTON,

TO BE HELD THURSDAY JUNE 6, 2019

You are cordially invited to a news conference and photo opportunity to be held on Thursday, June 6, at 9:30 am,

to unveil and mark the beginning of construction of phase 1 of Tannery Place, located at the Junction Urban Village in Downtown Moncton.

Note: Due to weather forecasts, the event will take place at Piatto Pizzeria + Enoteca located at 759 Main Street Moncton, NB.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 11:23 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

When I was at the construction site last evening, I did notice a brand new sign on site with a tarp thrown over it. I imagine this sign must show the final render of the building.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:

When I was at the construction site last evening, I did notice a brand new sign on site with a tarp thrown over it. I imagine this sign must show the final render of the building.
If the rumours of most units already being spoken for are true, them maybe they’d consider an additional storey or two.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
If the rumours of most units already being spoken for are true, them maybe they’d consider an additional storey or two.
More likely they would start Tannery Place North.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 3:13 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
Mayor Arnold's FB post on the event showed a small rendering on an easel in the background. Alas, the building still appears to be only six storeys.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 4:56 PM

As predicted above, Tannery Place North was just announced, which "will begin in the Spring". Commercial tenants will be announced soon. Home 2 Suites is being re-assessed in light of cost increases and the additions of Hilton Garden and the Hyatt. Final decision will be made "in the near future".

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 5:13 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Well, we may be gaining the Hilton Garden Inn and the Hyatt Place Hotel, but we are also losing the "V" Hotel and the Nor'West Motel, so the net number of new hotel rooms added to the city in the next year will not be that dramatic.

Still though, there will need to be a solid business case for the Home 2 Suites. There won't be too many out of town visitors to Wildcats and Magic games. The "oomph" for hotel occupancy will be special events like concerts and Cirque de Soleil etc. So far, I have found the concert announcements for the Avenir Centre to be a tad underwhelming.........

Glad to hear that Tannery Place North will start in the spring. This will mean that both buildings will be under construction at the same time next year (openings in 2020 & 2021).

I suppose that if the Home 2 Suites doesn't get built, they could just replace it with a third apartment building next to the GoodLife. This is an ideal location for a cluster of apartment buildings (excellent road access, across the street from Sobeys & Shoppers, VIA station within walking distance, Avenir Centre nearby etc.)

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 6:16 PM

Quote:

Well, we may be gaining the Hilton Garden Inn and the Hyatt Place Hotel, but we are also losing the "V" Hotel and the Nor'West Motel, so the net number of new hotel rooms added to the city in the next year will not be that dramatic.
The net number of hotel rooms is likely less of a factor than the price point of those new hotels.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 7:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

News item from 91.9 The Bend regarding the Tannery Place announcement today:

https://www.919thebend.ca/2019/06/06/72203/

This confirms that all the units in Tannery Place South have been spoken for, and this is the reason why they will break ground on Tannery Place North next spring.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 11:11 PM

Article from CBC:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ment-1.5164794

Quote:
A third building on the corner of Main Street and Vaughan Harvey Boulevard is in the planning stages. He said he hopes to announce more details about a "big, significant, signature" mixed-use building "in the next little while."

A hotel planned for the site had gone through several stages of approvals at city hall. But MacLellan said the plans are being reassessed given changes in its cost and other new hotels under construction downtown.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 1:31 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Well, Vaughan Harvey & Main is arguably the most important intersection in the city. One would hope that a new commercial building on the SW corner of the intersection would be "big, significant, signature".

As was noted on a previous post, if the other buildings in the Junction Urban Village are all going to be six storeys, it would make sense that the corner building would also be (at least) six storeys. This building will after all occupy the most iconic location in the development.

I really do hope they have something significant in mind for that corner.........

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 1:59 PM
Random Contributor

Impressive headline from Huddle Today:

Moncton’s $15-Million Tannery Place Just Broke Ground And There’s Already A Waiting List Of Tenants

https://huddle.today/monctons-15-mil...st-of-tenants/

That's the second time I've heard of waiting lists in the greater Moncton area for apartments that have barely even broken ground. I think it speaks of more pent up demand.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverviewer View Post

Moncton’s $15-Million Tannery Place Just Broke Ground And There’s Already A Waiting List Of Tenants

That's the second time I've heard of waiting lists in the greater Moncton area for apartments that have barely even broken ground. I think it speaks of more pent up demand.
Interesting quote from the article.

"Westmount is also looking at a 15-acre land parcel next to the Junction that’s owned by CN."

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 2:25 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I'm sure that would be the parcel along the north side of the future extension of Ivan Rand Drive.

Not quite as convenient to adjacent amenities as Tannery Place North & South, but still not too bad.

The success of the Tannery Place development (in terms of generating a waiting list of tenants) is impressive. I wonder what this will mean in terms of stimulating the construction of additional higher quality rental properties in the downtown, especially in the west end of the core.

Condos are still not popular in Moncton (witness FiveFive), but there is certainly a demand for downtown living in higher end rental units. I'm sure developers will take note of this........

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverviewer View Post

A couple interesting quotes from the article

“The opening for the Tannery Place had been planned for last year, but the project was delayed due to cost increases caused by U.S. tariffs on steel, leading developers to make some designs in changes, MacLellan said.”

“Plans for the Hilton Home Suites hotel is currently being re-assessed in light of new developments in the market, including the building of two new hotels near the Avenir Centre, MacLellan said. Westmount is also looking at a 15-acre land parcel next to the Junction that’s owned by CN.”

We knew there was a delay but now we know it was from the steel tariffs. Should it also be concerning that the Hilton Home Suites hotel is being re-assessed?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 5:24 PM

Maybe a mild concern, greatly offset by the apparent high demand for the residential units already.

It seems to me if the Hotel market won't support a hotel there any more, the developer could flip it over to a second commercial/residential block like what's currently about to be built.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 3:06 PM

Tower crane being installed this morning.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 7:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Moncton's newest tower crane, currently under construction at Tannery Place South.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces