HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 8:57 AM
Meh

I've always thought of the Midtown area as being the area around 51st & Guadalupe up around the Triangle.

If downtown is downtown, then the area around the Triangle is Midtown, which leaves The Domain as the true Uptown. I even tend to think of The Domain as being more uppity anyway in a squeaky clean and more buttoned down manner than downtown is.

Anyway, this area shouldn't be lumped in with the Capitol complex. The reason is the Capitol complex is all state owned land, whereas this isn't. It's commercial real estate even if they lease to the state. The William P. Clements State office building, for example, which is that big white one with the arched roof that we vs us posted, was originally developed as a commercial office building.

Officially, the boundary lines of downtown are from Lamar Boulevard east to I-35, and from Cesar Chavez Street north to MLK. I also don't think that zoning rules should necessarily dictate neighborhood labels. After all, there are areas within the official boundary lines of downtown that are not zoned CBD...yet. Those areas can't even build to a level that the Domain, West Campus or what I've been quasi-calling, the south shore area, which is from Lamar to I-35 between Barton Springs Road and the river.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 8:58 AM
Meh

Of course, the Ghostbusters geek in me wants it to be called the upper west side.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 4:31 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Of course, the Ghostbusters geek in me wants it to be called the upper west side.
Oooooh, I like the sound of Upper West Side, has a nice ring to it like the West End.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 6:19 PM

I have heard the area called the West Capital Area or Cap West. Though the actual Capitol is a bit south, I think the entire area from 11th to MLK was the reference.

I too like the sound of Upper West Side, however, I think of Manhattan also.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 9:31 PM

Only the West elevation which is the main entrance was posted. Here are the the other three sides. The parking is all above ground, and the South and East sides are nearly 100' blank walls. The Hilton Garden will hide the East wall, but the South wall won't be hidden.

North

South

East

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...9/190228/PLAN/

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2019, 5:53 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Cap West - I like it!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2019, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
So here's a question. I've heard different names for what this area is called. Personally I think of it as kinda like an Uptown, however I guess Uptown would be more towards the Highland area. So I wanted to know what everyone here refers to it? Part of the Capitol Complex? Uptown? Quasi indefinable region of DT?? lol. The bridge between DT and UT..
Austin Chronicle:https://www.austinchronicle.com/medi...stricts_4c.pdf

Old Posted Feb 17, 2019, 9:29 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
So, Seaholm is actually LoSho (Lower Shoal Creek)?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 1:56 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

So it is considered Uptown at least according to that map. However I do have some reservations about lower Shoal and Market Districts. Universally called the Seaholm District and the West End. Other than Whole Foods, there is nothing market about that area, at least not in how I've seen market districts in other cities. I have not heard anyone actually call the area west of Guadelupe along 5th and 6ths either of those. I will continue to say Seaholm and West End because people will know exactly what area I'm talking about.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 3:40 AM

I'm not too keen on 'Core District'. Sounds too anatomical.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 5:14 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Other than Whole Foods, there is nothing market about that area, at least not in how I've seen market districts in other cities.
Without drifting too OT, how about this idea I had a long time ago that would help this so-called Market District exist more. Close off the street-level parking in front of Whole Foods and also the lot across 5th street, in front of Office Max. Create a plaza with both pieces of land...and transition 5th to a woonerf-like construction in between the two halves. While you're at it, convert the upper U-turn above the Lamar underpass to the same woonerf type of combined street. A plaza would give it a point to center around, especially in front of the flagship of a home-grown retailer and the Insta-hotspot atx sign. Honestly, the whole area around Seaholm/LoSho ( !) to Whole Foods/Lamar has enormous capacity for public plazas on less-used streets and lots.

Anyway, yes let's connect West Campus to everything else with all the buildings, yay!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 5:39 AM

How about the West Tweens?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
Is there a zoning/allowable height differential between the Uptown District and Northwest District on this map? Curious what the Chronicle thinks differentiates the two.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Is there a zoning/allowable height differential between the Uptown District and Northwest District on this map? Curious what the Chronicle thinks differentiates the two.
This map is derived from the Downtown Austin Plan, and yes, the Uptown District is supposed to allow for greater height and density than the Northwest and Judges Hill Districts.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 5:27 PM

If I'm not mistaken, that map was a failed version of a CBD district proposal? I just remember "Lower Shoal Creek" never took off.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
If I'm not mistaken, that map was a failed version of a CBD district proposal? I just remember "Lower Shoal Creek" never took off.
I wouldn't say 'failed', since the plan was adopted by Council, but you are right nobody refers to the Seaholm District as the Lower Shoal Creek District.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 2:54 PM
Meh

If you're going to call it "Lower Shoal Creek District" then there should be an "Upper Shoal Creek District" - but I've never heard of one.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
If you're going to call it "Lower Shoal Creek District" then there should be an "Upper Shoal Creek District" - but I've never heard of one.
"lower" just implies it's close to the mouth of the creek (ala lower nile vs upper nile)

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 10:17 AM

West Capitol.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 12:12 AM

The ABJ has a short article about this. They did not get into what to call the area other than "near UT." But construction could start as soon as October.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n..._news_headline

Things will be great when you're downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin