HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 4:07 AM

Looks like a taller version of their Goat Hill project in Dallas. Not a fan of it because it's behind the famous waterfall billboard and looks blah.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 8:18 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homecreek View Post
Looks like a taller version of their Goat Hill project in Dallas. Not a fan of it because it's behind the famous waterfall billboard and looks blah.
Wow, the resemblance is definitely there in the simple rendering. I hadn't thought of that. I hope they use difference materials and it could make all the difference (maybe).

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 4:13 PM

The plans specify brick veneer for the facade system. I Think it'll look very nice, especially if they use red brick for the darker parts.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 11:32 PM

I was wondering how TOWERS knew this was an Alexan brand. There is some small print on one of the pages that mentions Alexan Capitol and GDA architects. So this is being designed by the same firm that designed 5th & West and 300 Colorado.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 2:20 PM
クラブトクヨ

If they use brick, I will be a fan, we need some different materials in the sky.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2017, 7:11 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
If they use brick, I will be a fan, we need some different materials in the sky.
Yep.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2017, 9:22 AM
Voice of the Modern World

Bricks come in a variety of colors guys. I agree with you that it wouldn't kill us to get a brick building but only if its red brick. That beige brick and brown brick, yuck. Maybe grey brick but that and red brick is it.

Red brick would beat the blue, beige, and brown glass buildings that we always seem to get though. God I'm just so sick of seeing new renderings for buildings in our city and 99% of the time the building is the same blue glass.... It sucks the life out of a new announcement when I see that. I never hated blue before 2010 but with how much redundancy its added to our skyline I really hate it now.... never knew I could hate a color that I once cherished a lot but now I do...

Old Posted Sep 2, 2017, 9:29 AM
Voice of the Modern World

Old Posted Sep 2, 2017, 9:23 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N90 View Post
That takes me back. Love it.

I agree that it's time to switch it up with glass colors. Glad to see a little more green starting to crop up. Would like to see more. I've said this before but I really like the red portion of the Hobby Building. Would be neat to see a tower with a similar glass color. No more browns or tans please.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2017, 4:24 AM

This 22-story Alexan proposal in Atlanta may give a good idea about what the facade will look like:

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2016/11/3...ent-alexan-880

Old Posted Sep 3, 2017, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The site plan was posted for AULCC today. The elevations begin on page 28. It's about 350'

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...mily_PLANS.pdf
Quote:
This 22-story Alexan proposal in Atlanta may give a good idea about what the facade will look like:

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2016/11/3...ent-alexan-880
The one in Atlanta looks to be all precast stucco panels. This one is all brick with an aluminum fin at the top. I think this one will look a lot better.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2017, 12:06 PM
Meh

Plus "ours" seems to not have such a bulky garage at its base. Also, with the tower having to be sliced on the north side to avoid the CVC, this won't be just another box.

Also, something I noticed with the west side facade is that the balconies overhang more on the north side of the building than on the south. They also alternate between being wider and narrower and create a sort of indented effect on the tower's facade.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 7:59 AM

Any update on this project as it relates to the proposed new CVC that covers much of the South side of the proposed site?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 8:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Dandy View Post
Any update on this project as it relates to the proposed new CVC that covers much of the South side of the proposed site?
The new CVC (if it is enacted) won't affect this project because the old CVCs will be grandfathered in on projects with site plans submitted before any new CVC.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 4:06 PM

Quote:
The new CVC (if it is enacted) won't affect this project because the old CVCs will be grandfathered in on projects with site plans submitted before any new CVC.
Very well. Why did the Brackenridge owners need a "stay" on the proposed CVC's? Did they feel they would not have a site plan submitted prior to the enactment of that CVC that runs directly through the middle of their parcel?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 5:53 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Then what's the point of adding more CVC's lol? There's no point to add more to begin with, but if projects that either start or in the planning stages will go ahead anyways, it negates whatever views that would supposedly be "protected". There is no other purpose for new CVC's except to discourage height density.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Dandy View Post
Very well. Why did the Brackenridge owners need a "stay" on the proposed CVC's? Did they feel they would not have a site plan submitted prior to the enactment of that CVC that runs directly through the middle of their parcel?
I suspect that was the reason. The build out of the Brackenridge site will probably take place over several years (a decade maybe?) and multiple site plans would probably be filed for different buildings rather than a single one for the entire project.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Then what's the point of adding more CVC's lol? There's no point to add more to begin with, but if projects that either start or in the planning stages will go ahead anyways, it negates whatever views that would supposedly be "protected". There is no other purpose for new CVC's except to discourage height density.
We all know the only reason for the proposed new CVCs was a plan by one city councilwoman to stop development in East Austin. It was never about views, and I think the whole thing failed.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
We all know the only reason for the proposed new CVCs was a plan by one city councilwoman to stop development in East Austin. It was never about views, and I think the whole thing failed.
Does anyone have any more information on where this stands with the city council? I cant find anything in the minutes other than it was tabled in February or so.

It was suppose to be revisited in August. The Brackenridge carve out was a big part of the discussion as well.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 6:58 PM

I would like to pose this to the group for discussion.

First, I'm pro development and growth but also value our green spaces and big trees. I just think we could do a little better of a job here...

There are 2 Heritage Live Oaks on the City ROW at this site that are slated for permanent removal. Tree 804 (29" at the corner of 11th & Sabine) & Tree 805 (32" on 11th). 805 is dead and dying and obviously cant be saved. What about tree 804? The developers are proposing to pay $200 per caliper inch total (300% replacement for Heritage Trees of 24" or larger per law) for tree 804 ($17,400) to the Waterloo City Park Development Fund. This info can be found on page 37 of 39 in the site plan link.

It seems a little ironic to me that many larger trees were cut down in Waterloo park for the tunnel construction project and that this is a missed opportunity to help replace the removed tree canopy. The park is less than 1.5 blocks from this tree so why cant it just be moved there? Probably because it costs too much right?

UT has moved/relocated 46 heritage trees over the years with a 93% success rate. Kudos to them! Greenwater developers relocated a live oak on Cesar Chavez to the upper bank of Shoal Creek recently. Northshore built around several big trees creating an inviting patio space albeit at an expense. The Independent built around several large trees. Is it not worth it? I personally think so.

Here is the street view of the subject tree:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/E+...4!4d-97.734364

Here is the UT tree relocation story:
https://sustainability.utexas.edu/co...building/trees

I welcome your opinions and perspectives. Thx!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin