HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 1:17 AM

West Philly towers are Schuylkill Yards, they are said to be done by 2030's, but most of the buildings are just the place holders shown in the renderings. The current 3003 and 3025 JFK designs are on there, 512 and 360 feet tall

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadstrexpresstrain View Post
Ok PHILLY skyscraper/ skyline enthusiast, when and if these west philly towers (Shown in the sketchup model renderings) get built, where will the PHILLY skyline stand nationally? Currently I have it tied with San Francisco behind NY and Chicago.....I don’t include Miami in this discussion because the towers there mostly hug the beach side for miles as opposed to being in one location to form a city district. Will these towers propel PHILLY to # 3 nationally? I know that people in Houston, Dallas and LA point to the number of towers on emporis however, I conclude that unlike the other cities, the PHILLY Emporis list does not include all of the towers in the city. I know for a fact that several older residential towers are not included on the PHILLY emporis list.

What do you think?
His model isn't even the whole skyline--there is still plenty to the south and east.

(Great model, by the way!)

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
His model isn't even the whole skyline--there is still plenty to the south and east.

(Great model, by the way!)
I do have more models like Pavilion and 3720 Chestnut and a few more

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadstrexpresstrain View Post
Ok PHILLY skyscraper/ skyline enthusiast, when and if these west philly towers (Shown in the sketchup model renderings) get built, where will the PHILLY skyline stand nationally? Currently I have it tied with San Francisco behind NY and Chicago.....I don’t include Miami in this discussion because the towers there mostly hug the beach side for miles as opposed to being in one location to form a city district. Will these towers propel PHILLY to # 3 nationally? I know that people in Houston, Dallas and LA point to the number of towers on emporis however, I conclude that unlike the other cities, the PHILLY Emporis list does not include all of the towers in the city. I know for a fact that several older residential towers are not included on the PHILLY emporis list.

What do you think?
Before I answer this question there is a huge skyscraper missing in the line drawling; north of 30th Street at 29th and Arch

I would put Philadelphia Skyline at 3# place right now and I'd do it for the following reasons; (1) its scale because it really spreads from Delaware Avenue to 40th and Walnut; there are 30 story buildings stretching 4 miles; east to west; Pine to Vine; and in the future that will increase. (2) its typography and geography; Downtown Philadelphia is relatively flat and University City has a slight bluff; San Francisco is a big hill and on a peninsula would not look as dynamic if the city were flat and spread out. (3) its psychological; when a good percentage of New Yorker look at the Philadelphia skyline and they think its New York then that's saying something; it says the Philadelphia Skyline is much more dynamic than those who live here actually think in some cases. (4) lastly is the diversity of Philadelphia's skyline; you have styles of skyscrapers from French Second Empire with the City Hall which was topped off in 1894 to Comcast Tech Tower in 2018; Dallas, Houston, most of the towers in most cities are post 1970 which a similar style and this isn't a negative towards those cities because; they can't help that but when you look at the Philadelphia skyline you are seeing growth, stability, an established metropolis and that adds to the dynamism of the skyline that other cities don't have; even New York and Chicago don't have skyscrapers before 1920 that stand out in a panorama; they just over come this by overwhelming size; Philadelphia has the size and will continue to have the size while still having all of this so it should be 3rd I think easily.

Now when these Skyscrapers in Schuykill Yards and University City; maybe even 38th Street (who knows) in Callowhill are built out; Philadelphia will be with New York and Chicago; but we'll have the scope of time they don't because Chicago is a great city; I love it actually but they didn't get big until about 1920; and New York was big like Philadelphia back then but they tore a lot of their early skyscrapers down like the Singer Building. I'll say Philadelphia is 3# and in a generation; soon we'll be higher

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIII View Post
Before I answer this question there is a huge skyscraper missing in the line drawling; north of 30th Street at 29th and Arch
Just like the buildings on the Schuylkill Yards renderings, Philly District 30 renderings must also have placeholders because that project isn't to be done until the late 2040's. But I think we'll get something similar in size, 3003 JFK is very close to the height of the placeholder that was shown on the same site before

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 4:04 AM

Here's the material they should use for the 700 tower to come. Phase II, Del Boca Vista.

https://returntonow.net/2020/02/03/n...v_Qt0LMML_4Sww

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 4:30 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
I'm a fan of green roofs on buildings for sure, but this not so much. At least wind farms and solar before this...

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
Whats the building directly across the street from the smaller of the 2 towers? ive never seen it before

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitect13 View Post
Whats the building directly across the street from the smaller of the 2 towers? ive never seen it before
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=238937

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 5:33 PM

The Catholic cathedral’s place on Philly’s skyline is sacred. Will two new towers wreck the view?

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20200227.html

The usual Inga criticism, but a nugget at the end:

Quote:
Wineberg told me that Exeter has an ambitious construction schedule and wants to start work on the first tower this summer. Before that happens, Philadelphia deserves to know exactly what’s in store for this city icon.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 5:37 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
So long as the economy doesn't derail and funding dries up...
Hopefully, this doesn't affect those projects that may already shored up funding.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 6:17 PM

I don't hate the shorter tower, but I wish the Catholic Church would look across the street and see what the Mormons are doing.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 7:10 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
I don't hate the shorter tower, but I wish the Catholic Church would look across the street and see what the Mormons are doing.
Right, if they look at the Alexander bldg, it should inspire them to ask for better. But, the Alexander was self-funded by the Mormons. That will not be the case for the highrises on the lots owned by the Catholic Church.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 7:29 PM

Worth noting the Mormons have loads of money. So it's no surprise they can afford something a bit more extravagant.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottydont View Post
Worth noting the Mormons have loads of money. So it's no surprise they can afford something a bit more extravagant.
I wouldn't call The Alexander extravagant, as much as I would tasteful.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
The Catholic cathedral’s place on Philly’s skyline is sacred. Will two new towers wreck the view?

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20200227.html

The usual Inga criticism, but a nugget at the end:
I'm not usually too negative with respect to Inga's articles, but this one is occasionally incoherent. As she points out, the Cathedral already has bland/ugly neighbors. I also don't see why we need to see both towers as an "ensemble" when on opposite corners of the block, separated from each other by other structures. Each will stand on its own. Her comments regarding the base are spot on, however, especially in decrying the lack of unified composition.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 9:12 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't call The Alexander extravagant, as much as I would tasteful.
Yeah. I'm never buying the idea that good architecture is necessarily expensive.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Except the Catholic Church is not the developer or architect.

Last edited by McBane; Feb 28, 2020 at 2:25 AM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Except the Catholic Church is not the developer or architect.
But they are the owners of the site. They absolutely have a say in what is built there.
Not saying that they should copy the Alexander, but they should do their homework and see what is possible for their budget.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
But they are the owners of the site. They absolutely have a say in what is built there.
Not saying that they should copy the Alexander, but they should do their homework and see what is possible for their budget.
That's what they are saying: the Mormons are flush with cash; the Catholic Church is not.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals