HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 12:10 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Should I Charge?

I've had several instances where people/companies have contacted me asking permisssion to use one (or several) of my pics for publication. I've always said OK and just asked for them to acknowledge me as the photog. I recently received a second request from a design firm for photo use for one of their clients. Should I consider actually charging for the pics? If so, how much? I'm new to this aspect of picture taking.

Any ideas?

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 1:35 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Ex-Ith, I suggest you bring this topic up in the General Photography threads. There are a number of people who have discussed this very issue in the past over there. You'll probably get the most help that way!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 2:02 PM
Old Fart Forumer

^ OK Aaron, how do I move it there?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 4:22 PM
Kicking it Viking style..

If they ask for rights or profit from it you most certainly should!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 4:30 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
^ OK Aaron, how do I move it there?
Just ask.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 4:31 PM
Old Fart Forumer

^ Thanks X

FREKI, I believe they just want to use it for an ad campaign.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 7:42 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
I've had several instances where people/companies have contacted me asking permisssion to use one (or several) of my pics for publication. I've always said OK and just asked for them to acknowledge me as the photog. I recently received a second request from a design firm for photo use for one of their clients. Should I consider actually charging for the pics? If so, how much? I'm new to this aspect of picture taking.

Any ideas?

You should absolutely be charging anytime a company uses your photos, for two reasons:

1) If they're using your product (photos) to run their business, you deserve a share of their profits in the form of payment.

2) More importantly, if they feel they can just use free photographs from amateurs, that drives down the market rate for professional photographers. This is the reason I always charge for my photos even though I'm an amateur and never aspire to be a professional photographer - because I know it's hard enough to be a photographer without amateurs with nothing to lose driving down prices for people who make a living selling their photography. Over the past 25 years I haven't really sold very much, but I have received approximately $1,000 in payments for my photographs in that time, from everything from political magazines to local newspapers to industry magazines to corporate flyers. I charge either $100 or their standard freelancer rate, whichever is higher. The only time I've given my photos away for free was when I was helping a buddy who does web development as he tried to get his own design shop off the ground. But even then, he's repaid me in services, so it didn't end up being exactly free - more like barter.

Now, if it's a non-profit asking to use the photo the question is trickier. In general, even most non-profits should be paying for most of the services they need. Certainly all non-profits get some things for free, but they also mostly pay key employees, they pay for electricity, for most other consumables, printing, etc. They may get some of it donated, but not all of it. So, while it is a much grayer area, I'd still advocate considering something from a non-profit company. You may decide you wish to donate it, but if you do ask for a receipt as an in-kind donation so they don't think of it as not having value. Even if you choose to give it for no charge to a non-profit, you don't want to devalue the work by not even asking for a receipt showing it as a tax-deductible donation.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 8:04 PM

An ad agency contacted me out of the blue last August about one of my really wide skyline photos they saw on ssp and asked if they could use it for a scrolling background on a temporary registration website for a convention that was going to be held in that same city. I sent them a Paypal invoice specifying the limited use and the fee amount. They paid that same day and then I sent them a bigger file to work from. Basically, you're selling a license for them to use your work commercially for a specific limited purpose. Don't give them unlimited rights unless you charge them megabucks. Ad agencies don't mind paying more to use photos that aren't available on stock photography sites. I worked for many years as an art director in ad agencies. You'd be amazed at how much money ad agencies spend on professional photo shoots.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 10:57 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Thanks for the input guys, I will be charging for the use. I guess I felt a bit guilty charging anything since I'm basically a point and click guy. No talent here.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 11:52 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

It's got nothing to do with one's opinion of their own talent. Someone thought enough of what you produced to ask to use it and that's enough.

I do one pro bono a year for people that I don't know. It seems that often online solicitors don't much value the time/effort that a person put into producing a piece of work and displaying it for public consumption. You shouldn't overvalue yourself, of course, but your time and effort aren't without value and any entity that has the resources to reproduce your work for a brochure, a magazine or an ad campaign can surely part with something to compensate you for it and name credits aren't good enough. Anyone is capable of putting their own name where others can see it.

Congrats on getting published!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 4:53 AM

Quote:
^ Thanks X

FREKI, I believe they just want to use it for an ad campaign.
Definitely yes! I have had someone contact me three times about using my pictures. All three times, they initiated the talk about compensating me. One was used in an AT&T TV commercial, and they paid $675 or so. One was used in a Hyundai print ad, and they paid $500. One was just used this month for a law firm's Christmas card, and they paid $80. I would say that you should try and get something out of them. Even if it's $50, it's better than nothing.

I'm a point and click guy, too, but if they like my pictures, then it's good enough for them.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 12:49 AM
3rd Coast King

Yes, Charge. You really cant lose in this situation. Currently you are not getting paid for your work. So the worst thing that could happen is that you continue to not get paid for your work.

My Book

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography