HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 6:13 PM

NB Power to decommission the Milltown Generating Station (and dam) near (at?) Saint Stephen.

https://www.nbpower.com/en/about-us/...ating-station/

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 1:01 PM
New Brunswick booster!

The hole left by the building that burned in Sussex in 2012...is there a new building there yet? I saw on Google Street View that there was a new building coming...in 2016 lol

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 11:39 AM

I noticed this past weekend that a NewCo construction sign has been put up in Salisbury on the Fredericton Rd.

https://goo.gl/maps/64n9XDMZNkFfWqqp9

Not sure what this is about, but a large section has been leveled off and equipment is on site. It's at the corner of a residential street (Rae Drive) so it may just be new houses.

There always seems to be people looking for apartments in Salisbury, and choices are pretty limited. I wonder if someone took notice?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 7:01 PM

Tru by Hilton

Opening Summer 2020 in Yarmouth
90 rooms, pool with slide

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 5:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

New road and observation deck at Fundy Trail Parkway officially open
07 July 2020

SALMON RIVER (GNB) – Visitors to New Brunswick now have easier access to scenic views of the Fundy coastline with today’s official opening of a new road to the Fundy Trail Parkway from Sussex and the Walton Glen Gorge Observation Deck, projects that have been underway for more than two decades.

These two projects required a total investment of $45 million over the past four years from both the provincial and federal governments. The official opening marks an important step towards the completion of the Fundy Trail Parkway development.

“Today’s announcement was a long time coming, but well worth the wait as people will now be able to experience the most stunning view on the east coast, no matter the season," said Premier Blaine Higgs. “This is a magnificent addition to what Tourism New Brunswick has to offer and is sure to put our province on the map when it comes to must-see destinations.”

The new road extends about 12.7 km from the eastern gate of the Fundy Parkway towards Creek Road, south of Sussex. Its construction also involved enhancements including ditching, brush cutting, guiderail and slope stabilization on the existing Creek and Waterford Roads going towards Sussex.

The new observation deck provides a view over Walton Glen Gorge. The area also offers a unique experience for visitors at the Little Salmon River Protected Natural Area.

“Today’s official opening of the Fundy Trail Parkway is a huge step forward for tourism in this spectacular part of New Brunswick,” said federal Economic Development and Official Languages Minister Mélanie Joly, who is also the minister responsible for the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency. “This beautiful route will help more visitors discover the Bay of Fundy and the region’s many hidden gems, while supporting local tourism as it recovers from COVID-19. Our message to our tourism sector is clear: we have been here for you with immediate measures, we are here for you now as our economy reopens, and we will get through this together. We are working with you to support good jobs and help New Brunswick tourism come back strong.”

The Fundy Trail Parkway is a 2,559-hectare park that welcomes more than 50,000 visitors per year. It features views along the shore of the Bay of Fundy and is operated by the not-for-profit organization, the Fundy Trail Development Authority Inc. With more than 30 km of road, the park provides multiple opportunities to seek out beaches, waterfalls, rocks and cliffs. Visitors can access 20 trails ranging from easy strolls to challenging wilderness hikes along the Fundy Coast, four waterfalls and eight points of interest including the Walton Glen Gorge, the Flower Pot Rock at Fownes Head, a 284-metre suspension footbridge crossing the Big Salmon River and an interpretive centre.

“After 25 years of dedication and hard work, we are pleased to reach a new milestone in the development of the Fundy Trail Parkway project," said Greg Turner, president of the Fundy Trail Development Authority Inc. “So many people have envisioned and dreamed about developing this beautiful area where visitors can view the natural, unspoiled beauty of the Bay of Fundy coast. Today’s openings will allow the park to develop even more in the future.”

The connector road to Sussex and the observation deck are part of the Fundy Trail Parkway project, which began in 1995 with the objective of creating a world-class destination. At that time, it included an area that ended at Big Salmon River.

A major expansion of the park was undertaken in 2007. Thanks to the completion of the bridge located at Big Salmon River in 2008, further expansion was possible, and the parkway was completed in 2018.

- Personal note - I went down to the Fundy Trail this past weekend, and took the opportunity to drive along the new access road to the eastern gate on my way back to Moncton (via Sussex). I must say that the government did an outstanding job in building this roadway. The road is smooth, nicely chip sealed (actually seems fully paved),reasonably scenic (especially the portion north of Adair's Wilderness Lodge heading back to Waterford) and quick. If the government is able to accomplish the same thing with the final connector through to Fundy Park (to be opened next year), I will give them full marks. This is truly NBs Cabot Trail, especially when the full experience will be available next year (Fundy Trail, Fundy Park, Cape Enrage & Hopewell Rocks). All New Brunswickers should experience this.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 9:08 PM

I’ve been going to Walton Glen Gorge to hike for a number of years. Probably close to 6-7 years. I’m super happy with the improvements, it makes it so much easier to get to and they’ve improved the trails the last couple years. If you haven’t gone out to see the observation deck overlooking them gorge, it’s will worth it!!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 9:55 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

A new, quaint little apartment block in Chéticamp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...camp-1.5661065

Former Tim Hortons in Chéticamp now serving up rental accommodations

Apartment complex will help ease local housing shortage, says municipal councillor

Matthew Moore, CBC News, Jul 24 2020

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 3:59 PM

Reposting from the Fredericton thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
Not specifically in Fredericton, but from the CCD Canada website:

NEW SPECIAL CARE RESIDENTIAL FACILITY

Located in Woodstock, Eastwood Dr., this project estimated at $2,435,000 is in the drawings stage. Works concern the construction of a 36-unit special care residential facility. The planning phase being the most important one and consume 60% of the effort in developing the schedule.

They don't give a street address, but Eastwood Drive is just north of Deakin Drive, so that puts it in the same general neighbourhood of both Carleton Manor and Riverside Court Retirement homes. Eastwood Drive already has a lot of houses along it, so I suspect they will extend it to Deakin drive and have the new homes off of it.

The satellite view of the area was updated very recently on Google Maps, and it shows the land cleared between Eastwood and Deakin right around the Manor. (Street view is really out of date, but sat view shows the Medicine Shoppe pharmacy buildings)

Eyeballing the sky view, they are hopefully bending Eastwood around to meet Deakin at a 90 angle. Because it looks like it would more naturally extend and link at the speed controlling bend of Deakin, which would encourage people to use Deakin-Eastwood as a straightaway instead of staying on Deakin otherwise.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 6:49 PM

Nice announcement for Florenceville-Bristol

Quote:
de Winter Brothers, President and CEO John J. de Winter is pleased to announce the construction of a full-service hotel to be open by the summer of 2021. This state of the art facility will include 78 room suites, 190 person conference/banquet center, with a 94 seat full-service restaurant, meeting rooms, and gym facilities. This executive property is to be located just off Trans-Canada Highway, via exit 153 at 383 Centreville Road, Florenceville-Bristol.
Seems like a great boon for the village, and for McCain's. And being just off the highway it will be able to serve as a rest stop too.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 12:20 PM

Some chatter from Facebook up in the Woodstock area.

Kent is apparently getting ready to do some major store renovations and expansions; exact details are still hazy.

And Home Hardware is apparently building a new store up in behind Carleton Mall off of Deakin Drive next to the Medicine Shoppe. (The road is so new, Google Maps doesn't have it named yet. You can see it on the Sat view but street view predates it).

It's good to see Home Hardware growing like that. But it moving out of downtown will be a blow to downtown; especially since it has been there for longer than most people have been alive. Hopefully someone will take over the space, but maybe the extension at the back will have to be taken down to make it more appealing for new businesses.

Maybe the upper floor can be restored to add a few downtown apartments too. (Basically gut the old part of the building, make it a proper 2 story building again, take off the 'modern' extension at the back and market it for office space and/or residential upstairs)

Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 6:27 PM

I was up to Woodstock yesterday during the day and can see some of the prep work they're doing around Kent. They've basically cleared the garden side of the store ( the right side away from the lumber yard) and it looks like it'll be a space as big as they currently have. The existing building will remain, as will the entire lumber yard as it is now, complete with the shed at the far end. All in all it should be a fairly substantial expansion to the store that (IMO) does really need it.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 3:31 AM

The Ultramar in Sussex has closed. The town now has 3 Irving’s and that’s it.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
And the Mobil station at the Superstore.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Not as if it makes a difference, Ultramar is owned by Couche-Tard (Circle K) which have a partnership with all of Irving's gas stations. So it was just the same companies with a different logo on the front of the building.

They've just stopped pretending there's competition

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 2:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Province's plan for covered bridge replacement in St. Martins panned as 'phony'
New bridge expected to replace Vaughan Creek bridge built in 1935
Shane Magee · CBC News · Posted: Jan 05, 2021 2:26 PM AT | Last Updated: January 5
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ment-1.5861769

Personal note:

I love covered bridges. They are iconic and are a reflection of our unique culture in the Maritimes. They should be preserved wherever possible, and I support rebuilding any covered bridge that falls into disrepair. Their architectural character should be respected.

Having said this however, I support the government in replacing this particular bridge with a steel replica (with wooden cladding). Once the Fundy Trail is truly complete (all the way through to Fundy Park), there will be thousands of tourists taking this scenic coastal route from Saint John to Moncton. This will include tourists operating big motor homes or hauling big trailers. This bridge therefore has to be build to exacting standards for all this traffic. I think a two lane steel bridge is a must. I'm sure that they can still make this bridge look as authentic as possible. Occasionally compromises have to be made...….

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 2:48 PM

And speaking of Gas Stations.....I came across this one last summer in Alma, Fundy Park. It's been years since I've seen a Gulf Station and can't recall seeing any others recently along main highway routes in the Maritimes. (not that I've done much travelling the past 10 months )

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 3:10 PM
ハルウララ

Is there not a Fast Fuel at Needs in Sussex?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghYHZ View Post
And speaking of Gas Stations.....I came across this one last summer in Alma, Fundy Park. It's been years since I've seen a Gulf Station and can't recall seeing any others recently along main highway routes in the Maritimes. (not that I've done much travelling the past 10 months )

Gulf Canada was bought out by Petro Canada in 1985 and they switched most their stores to the Petro Canada brand with the Atlantic Canadian store being sold to Ultramar in 1986. In 2015 XTR reached a deal with Gulf for the rights to use the brand in Canada. The one in Alma is the first one in Atlantic Canada and is one of the only ones in Canada after doing a quick google maps search. I’m surprised that XTR did not entirely rebrand themselves as Gulf, but instead they have franchise options under both the XTR and Gulf names.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle24927545/

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Oh yes you’re right! On second thought there is an Esso too. Still more Irving’s than everything else combined.

Last edited by josh_cat_eyes; Jan 7, 2021 at 12:29 AM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 1:12 PM

Quote:
The one in Alma is the first one in Atlantic Canada and is one of the only ones in Canada after doing a quick google maps search. I’m surprised that XTR did not entirely rebrand themselves as Gulf, but instead they have franchise options under both the XTR and Gulf names.
Thanks!

I wonder who's gas you're actually getting in Alma?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post

Yes, its in a not very noticeable location by walmart.

There is an esso / burger king as well

Theres also a wilsons right on town limit just off the highway, sussex corner exit.. with zero signage, you have to head towards penobsquis instead of sussex, .5km.. i go to it all the time when going to poley, its the easiset one to hit without spending 15mins going fully into town.

https://www.facebook.com/penobsquiscornergas/

growing up there i know theres lots of gas in sussex .. of all kinds.. cow, pig, compost, natural.. lol

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces