HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
21 direct destinations?
Here's what the nonstop network from MSY looks like in October:
2 daily: FLL
Daily: ATL, AUS, BNA, BOS, BWI, DEN, DFW*, DTW, EWR, IAH, LAS, LAX, MCO, ORD, RDU, TPA
4 weekly: MSP, PHL*
3 weekly: CLE, CMH*
*Suspended for a few months during the winter
Spirit does cut a few routes on Tuesdays/Wednesdays during the shoulder periods.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 8:46 PM

NORTA bus service enhancements

Not strictly development related, but NORTA is considering several options to improve bus service and is accepting feedback either online or at its meeting at 5:30pm tomorrow (Wednesday, June 5). Whether or not you are a transit rider, I encourage everyone to voice support for options that would most benefit you and encourage more ridership.

I think most of these will be beneficial, but I don't know how many are possible within the budget. In particular our service to the airport is a joke, so I hope that is improved.

More Information

Options for Service Enhancements in 2019
Option 1: Additional frequency on 84-Galvez
Option 2: Extend 84-Galvez
Option 3: Add one bus to 114-DeGaulle-Sullen and 115-DeGaulle-Tullis during peak
Option 4: Reduce headways on five routes: 15-Freret, 60-Hayne, 80-Desire-Louisa, 101-Algiers Point, 108-Algiers Local
Option 5: Reduce 202 (Airport Express) headways to minimum 60 minutes
Option 6: Increase nighttime service on the 11-Magazine
Option 7: Improved service on the 64-Lake Forest Express and 65-Read Crowder Express
Option 8: Improved service on the 90-Carrollton
Option 9: Bring start of Canal St.-Algiers ferry to 6:00am all days of the week (+13 hours/week of ferry service)
Option 10: Increased frequency on the 63-New Orleans East Owl

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 9:41 PM

I'm really excited for this project, I think it's a great meeting of the conteporary and historic, combos we don't get enough of in this city ( at faux historicism)

That said, I think B, F, & especially D are great methods of breaking up & integrating the facades

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
Lots of great stuff from [

Loews Theater project update. Option E really catches my eye.

[/URL]

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 1:45 PM
-

I think they are all great options too.. depending on the day my favorite changes so i think any of the choices will lead to a great project for that part of canal street

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 2:29 PM

Plans to revive this special part of New Orleans, cradle of jazz, is starting to take

But now, a new plan, with new owners, is starting to take shape. A big chunk of the block, including the Iroquois and the Karnofsky shop, has been acquired by or is under contract to the GBX Group, a Cleveland-based real estate firm that specializes in historic preservation, according to its chief executive officer, Drew Sparacia. The firm has done several projects in New Orleans, including the Catahoula Hotel on Union Street.

Sparacia said the Iroquois and the Karnofsky store will be fully restored. His hope is that they will be repurposed in a way that reflects their history, perhaps as nightclubs or lounges that feature jazz, along the lines of the Little Gem.

“The use is going to incorporate the history of jazz,” Sparacia said. “We want the whole block to celebrate that history.”

The big picture is still coming into focus, he said, but he envisions doing some “infill” construction on some of the surface parking lots that now occupy much of the block.

Whatever buildings are added will fit in with the landmarks in scale and style, he said, adding that GBX will consult with the National Park Service as well as state, city and nonprofit entities that deal with historic preservation.

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...b1a9f6f7f.html

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 2:36 PM

I noticed yesterday the old Brown's Dairy property on Baronne St. has For Sale signs up. It looks like part of the property has already been sold but in all it's basically 3 whole blocks. That's a perfect spot for a mixed use development.

http://nolacommercial.catylist.com/l...leans-LA-70113

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlrush1 View Post
I noticed yesterday the old Brown's Dairy property on Baronne St. has For Sale signs up. It looks like part of the property has already been sold but in all it's basically 3 whole blocks. That's a perfect spot for a mixed use development.

http://nolacommercial.catylist.com/l...leans-LA-70113

From what i know, i think all are under contract and or were purchased recently. The last round of LIHTC applications included two of the lots but both applications were withdrawn before final scoring (it was a bad QAP year with not a single project in either BR or NOLA getting funding). Not sure if the purchases proceeded once the credit applications fell through. I would expect those same groups may try to re-apply this summer. The zoning is pretty favorable so I would expect plans for multi-family residential and possibly some ground floor retail to be announced in next 6-12 months.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlrush1 View Post
But now, a new plan, with new owners, is starting to take shape. A big chunk of the block, including the Iroquois and the Karnofsky shop, has been acquired by or is under contract to the GBX Group, a Cleveland-based real estate firm that specializes in historic preservation, according to its chief executive officer, Drew Sparacia. The firm has done several projects in New Orleans, including the Catahoula Hotel on Union Street.

Sparacia said the Iroquois and the Karnofsky store will be fully restored. His hope is that they will be repurposed in a way that reflects their history, perhaps as nightclubs or lounges that feature jazz, along the lines of the Little Gem.

“The use is going to incorporate the history of jazz,” Sparacia said. “We want the whole block to celebrate that history.”

The big picture is still coming into focus, he said, but he envisions doing some “infill” construction on some of the surface parking lots that now occupy much of the block.

Whatever buildings are added will fit in with the landmarks in scale and style, he said, adding that GBX will consult with the National Park Service as well as state, city and nonprofit entities that deal with historic preservation.

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...b1a9f6f7f.html

This is really interesting. A lot of the lots in that block are owned by the Meraux foundation who was sitting on them (not sure if the lots shown here are theirs). Also GBX was a "development partner" for the Catahoula hotel but not the developer. GBX specializes in monetizing donations of unused development rights. From the recent legal counsel i got, the IRS has effectively put an end to that practice, so that makes their involvement here pretty interesting.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 3:38 PM
-

I know the parcel G is becoming a brewery ... they filed plans a few months ago

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 3:59 PM
-

These two bills if passed by voters could lead to much more affordable development projects especially in areas that can handle more density but arent really viable hospitality wise

June 2, 2019 |

MAYOR CANTRELL RELEASES STATEMENT ON PASSAGE OF HOUSING BILLS, SB79 & SB80
NEW ORLEANS --- Mayor LaToya Cantrell today released the following statement on the successful passage at the State Legislature of SB79 and SB80, a package of housing legislation designed to help address the affordable housing crisis:

“Tackling the affordable housing crisis has been a priority for me since my earliest days in Broadmoor, and I am tremendously proud that--- with this legislation, we were able to make real substantive progress and do something that’s never been done before,” said Mayor Cantrell. “When we are faced with funding challenges and a dire need, which the housing crisis presents: our leaders have to rely on innovation. This package of legislation does that. With this bill, we can take our proposal to voters across the state and begin granting ad valorem tax exemptions to incentivize the creation of more units, more affordably.

“I am grateful to Sen. Troy Carter, to Rep. Neil Abramson, and to our entire delegation for working together to make this initiative a reality. We have taken an important step towards making housing in New Orleans more affordable for the people who make our City what she is.”

Link to SB79:

http://www.legis.la.gov/legis/ViewDo...aspx?d=1118914

Link to SB80:

https://legiscan.com/LA/text/SB80/id/1973281

I always prefer the carrot as opposed to the stick when it comes to affordable housing... this combined with some zoning incentives locally (like sped up permitting, increased density and height as well as parking waiver requirements) could result in many more affordable units on corridors like tulane, canal, jeff davis, nola east, south broad etc

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickapedia View Post
From what i know, i think all are under contract and or were purchased recently. The last round of LIHTC applications included two of the lots but both applications were withdrawn before final scoring (it was a bad QAP year with not a single project in either BR or NOLA getting funding). Not sure if the purchases proceeded once the credit applications fell through. I would expect those same groups may try to re-apply this summer. The zoning is pretty favorable so I would expect plans for multi-family residential and possibly some ground floor retail to be announced in next 6-12 months.
To tag on to this. Lot 3 is the subject of two separate applications, both by GCHP, for CDBG-DR funds and 4% LIHTC. The awards come out next Wednesday so we should know the fate of that parcel soon.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 6:00 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Even if they built The Muses all over again, it would be a great addition to that area. Walkable to Warehouse District and CBD jobs, close to the highway for people who work elsewhere. Definitely needs front doors and stoops on the ground floor, though, none of this blank parking garage crap like some of the Tulane Ave buildings.

Hopefully they rebuild the missing block of Thalia too... that used to drive me nuts when I lived on Thalia. I definitely zoomed through the loading dock on my bike a couple of times when they left the gates open....

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 6:08 PM

Quote:
A lot of the lots in that block are owned by the Meraux foundation who was sitting on them (not sure if the lots shown here are theirs).
I was under the impression that Meraux sold their property in that block a few years ago as part of a swap for land down in St. Bernard.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 6:57 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boryenka View Post
I was under the impression that Meraux sold their property in that block a few years ago as part of a swap for land down in St. Bernard.
they must have because the transfers on assessors site for last year show a 100$ sale to rampart partners llc.

Secretary of State Filing:

RAMPART PARTNERS, LLC Limited Liability Company BATON ROUGE Active

Previous Names
Business: RAMPART PARTNERS, LLC
Charter Number: 42423751K
Registration Date: 10/14/2016
Domicile Address
3867 PLAZA TOWER DRIVE
BATON ROUGE, LA 70816
Mailing Address
2101 SUPERIOR AVE
SUITE 300
CLEVELAND, OH 44114
Status
Annual Report Status: In Good Standing
File Date: 10/14/2016
Last Report Filed: 12/12/2018
Type: Limited Liability Company

Registered Agent(s)
Agent: C T CORPORATION SYSTEM
Address 1: 3867 PLAZA TOWER DR.
City, State, Zip: BATON ROUGE, LA 70816
Appointment Date: 1/18/2019

Officer(s) Additional Officers: No
Officer: DEV X, LLC
Title: Manager
Address 1: 2101 SUPERIOR AVE
Address 2: SUITE 300
City, State, Zip: CLEVELAND, OH 44114

Amendments on File (2)
Description Date
Amendment 2/23/2018
Domestic LLC Agent/Domicile Change 1/18/2019

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 7:03 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boryenka View Post
To tag on to this. Lot 3 is the subject of two separate applications, both by GCHP, for CDBG-DR funds and 4% LIHTC. The awards come out next Wednesday so we should know the fate of that parcel soon.
Is there an online resource to view cdbg and lihtc applications?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 7:07 PM
-

Quote:
This is really interesting. A lot of the lots in that block are owned by the Meraux foundation who was sitting on them (not sure if the lots shown here are theirs). Also GBX was a "development partner" for the Catahoula hotel but not the developer. GBX specializes in monetizing donations of unused development rights. From the recent legal counsel i got, the IRS has effectively put an end to that practice, so that makes their involvement here pretty interesting.
Just looked it up that the mereaux foundation transferred them to this company in the article so they are not involved anymore

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Is there an online resource to view cdbg and lihtc applications?
The new LHC website is pretty horrible to navigate. Here is a direct link to the application log: https://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/42800...icationlog.pdf

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 7:20 PM
-

Inside the New MSY Episode 101

Video Link

Last edited by tennis1400; Jun 5, 2019 at 7:38 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 3:13 PM

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but it's shown up on Nola.com and today it's in The Advocate.

The elder Sidney Torres is using tax credits to help fund a $25 million renovation of the historic Ford plant in Arabi. I know it got added to the National Register of Historic Places a while ago, and I hope they're successful.

Something tells me it'll derive most of its revenue from hosting large events and weddings, but I like the idea of turning it into an artist's focused space. It's so big though I wonder if you can find enough artists to fill it and that $25M price tag is pretty high for what sounds like a non-profit like mission!

https://www.nola.com/arts/2019/05/ca...t-art-hub.html

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 10:04 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderOz View Post
Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but it's shown up on Nola.com and today it's in The Advocate.

The elder Sidney Torres is using tax credits to help fund a $25 million renovation of the historic Ford plant in Arabi. I know it got added to the National Register of Historic Places a while ago, and I hope they're successful.

Something tells me it'll derive most of its revenue from hosting large events and weddings, but I like the idea of turning it into an artist's focused space. It's so big though I wonder if you can find enough artists to fill it and that $25M price tag is pretty high for what sounds like a non-profit like mission!

https://www.nola.com/arts/2019/05/ca...t-art-hub.html
IMpresive project! I think its a great idea

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations