HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 6:53 AM

Edison lighting potpourri. posted as found. All from http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/single...id/43635/rec/6

Clunes undated

Diamond Tires Lead [the way]

Turkish Baths and Isis Theater 542 S Spring

1912 per source

http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/ref/co...coll2/id/12298

Princess Theater (6107 S Main ?) This week: "Zinn's Musical Travesty Co." apparently was a traveling show. The term "travesty" as a stage play description was common at the time, 1910-1920, and included risqué subject matter, another way of saying "parental guidance advised." It also could encompass burlesque, as we know it today. The term "travesty" fell in to disfavor because it was probably too easy for critics to "misapply" travesty to the production rather than the subject matter of the production.

A better transfer

http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/single.../12297/rec/131

The Electric Shop, Third and Main

"Y.M.C.A"

Kranich & Bach - Pianos

Southern Pacific

Last edited by Godzilla; Mar 8, 2015 at 7:24 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiederi View Post
Was this one ever posted? I couldn't find it in a search of the thread.

Yes, I did:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post

water and power
But only the single view, the stereoscopic one is much nicer.

I'm wondering if Federico "Fred" Eaton (1855-1934) is one of the people in the photo. He designed the Plaza as a boy and implemented it when he was older (I'm not sure if it was this 1871 design or the 1888-1893 one. Maybe somebody who knows more can let me know). Eaton also redesigned Los Angeles Park (Pershing Square) ca. 1886 and renamed it Sixth Street Park. He had a hand in developing other parks as well, although I don't know which ones.

He was supervisor of the LA Water Company at aged 19. It was Eaton who designed the city's sewer system, important but thankless work. Eaton was City Surveyor and City Engineer. He was also consulting engineer for the first electric trolley system. Eaton was mayor from 1898 to 1900 (the first and only mayor born in LA, until the last 3 or 4) but only to ensure public ownership of the water supply. That done, he quit politics.

Eaton was deeply, and controversially, involved in the Owens Valley project (he's the one, BTW, who first hired Wm Mulholland, the same age as he, as a ditch digger for the water company), but in the end, sided with the angels and the Owens Valley property owners (Eaton was an Owens Valley landowner too. He was paid in property out there to compensate, if that's the word for it, him for his work on the project). He said LA could have easily paid the Owens Valley people a fair price for for their land and water rights instead of tricking them.

Eaton never acquired any great wealth and seems to have deflected power every chance he got, but he did hold title to the huge, natural reservoir at Long Valley. Mulholland, who by then hated Eaton b/c he wouldn't "play the game", said the geology at Long Valley was too unsafe for a dam. It wasn't unsafe, Mulholland just didn't want to benefit Eaton, so built the St Francis Dam instead lower down with disastrous results.

(Be warned, I get most of my info from Eaton's grandson, so this may be the overly rosy version.)

Eaton, was reportedly born in the old jail on Fort Moore Hill after it had been converted to a home. He had a hard childhood. His mother died and he father moved back east for years. An old auntie was supposed to be in charge of him, but he mostly grew up on the streets.

I think Hollis Mulwray was a least partly based on Eaton in "Chinatown" (1974) and, of course, Noah Cross = Mulholland.

1906: Joe Lippincott, who ensured public ownership of the aqueduct, Fred Eaton and Eaton's worst hire ever, Wm Mulholland:

water & power

Thx again Godzilla :-) Those posts will keep my eyes busy for a long time.

Last edited by tovangar2; Mar 8, 2015 at 7:38 AM. Reason: bigger pic + add quote

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 12:34 PM

Thanks for your lighting posts, Godzilla. Any chance you could add brief captions to the pictures so they show up in searches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinTurnbull View Post

Does anyone know where this vision in neon was? Or when?
I've done some googlizing but came up empty handed.
I found it on Pinterest which gave no other info other than it was called the Fountain Grlll and was circa 1940s.

After seeing Godzilla's "Edison lighting potpourri", I expanded my search to the Huntington Digital Library where I found the original image. The description is brief, but it does contain a rough location:

"Commercial Lighting - bowling alley - Pomona - exterior."

It looks like ancestry.com has some Pomona City Directories, but I don't have a subscription.

Here's that "Turkey Shoot" sign that I mentioned in my first follow-up.

Detail of picture in Huntington Digital Library

This image is also credited to Doug White, so, given the similar description ("Commercial Lighting - bowling alley - Pomona - interior, people bowling."), I'd say it's likely to be the interior of the building above.

Huntington Digital Library

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 1:13 PM

From page 1277 - post 25526:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

GSV

I wonder what the statue/weathervane is on top? It looks like an Indian holding a scalp.
__

EDIT:

I think it might be Bugs Bunny. lol

detail/GSV
__

The building is actually historic. It dates back to 1939 and was the "Studio Cosmetics", a drugstore on the Warner Bros. studio lot.

In the 1980’s, it became building 3A (Northern Administration). Over the past 25 years, Warner Bros. renamed their buildings several times, particularly when there was a major restructuring of the studio lot, first after Columbia moved out, which marked the dissolving of The Burbank Studios and going back to the Warner Bros. Studios name in 1989 and then after Lorimar was fully absorbed into WB TV in 1993.

The current name is Office Building 5.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 1:36 PM
BANNED

Knott's paper mache horse & borrowed hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadykadie2 View Post
Doug, I laughed a good long time at the photo of you on the horse. Particularly with the hat in hand. Hey do you have any pictures of that cool cabin with all the mysterious stuff inside? They've torn it down
Sadykadie:
Hey thanks for your comment. Those rough buildings at Knott's were collected by Walter Knott from the old ghost towns around California. He had his crew dismantle them and truck them to his ''Berry Farm'' in Buena Park.

As we know these ghost towns were originally old mining towns. When the easy gold and silver ran out, the people left the towns. A 5,000 person town could be operating and in a year the entire place would be empty.

I will look for some photos I took of the old Knott's cabins back in 1970.

Here I am in LA Chinatown....third from right. I'm between my parents...the other people are my siblings and relatives from Kansas.
It was rare that my step-dad would pop a smile. At the far right is Joe, wheat farmer Russell, Kansas. He liked LA Pershing Square politics.

my album

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 3:11 PM

The Parade

The Parade, April 26, 1928

On the 26th of April in 1928 the city had a parade. The Parade headed north up Broadway from the Chamber of Commerce building to the brand-spanking new City Hall on Spring Street.

USC digital archive/California Historical Society Collection, 1860-1960

The Parade, April 26, 1928 (2)

Workers at the Examiner Building pause to watch the festivities.

The Parade, April 26, 1928 (3)

And a good time was had by all.

The Parade, April 26, 1928 (4)

Some office workers decided to test the structural integrity of the fire escapes.

The Watcher, The Parade, April 26, 1928 (5)

My favorite spectator, I hope he survived the day.

The End of the Parade, April 26, 1926

The last dark sedan moves slowly north toward the dedication of the new City Hall.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 5:10 PM

Fountain Grill in Pomona

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Thanks for your lighting posts, Godzilla. Any chance you could add brief captions to the pictures so they show up in searches?

After seeing Godzilla's "Edison lighting potpourri", I expanded my search to the Huntington Digital Library where I found the original image. The description is brief, but it does contain a rough location:

"Commercial Lighting - bowling alley - Pomona - exterior."

It looks like ancestry.com has some Pomona City Directories, but I don't have a subscription.

Here's that "Turkey Shoot" sign that I mentioned in my first follow-up.

Detail of picture in Huntington Digital Library

This image is also credited to Doug White, so, given the similar description ("Commercial Lighting - bowling alley - Pomona - interior, people bowling."), I'd say it's likely to be the interior of the building above.

Huntington Digital Library

Thanks HossC for tracking that down. And I think I need to do a Learning Annex Weekend Workshop in navigating through sites like the HDL. I never seem to get anywhere with those. I bet that place stood out in the Pomona night sky.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinTurnbull View Post
Does anyone know where this vision in neon was? Or when?

I sincerely hope the neon was animated b/c that would be amazing.

Thanks HossC for finding the location of this one and MartinTurnbull for coming up with it to begin with.

Last edited by tovangar2; Mar 8, 2015 at 6:33 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
As we know these ghost towns were originally old mining towns. When the easy gold and silver ran out, the people left the towns. A 5,000 person town could be operating and in a year the entire place would be empty.
My grandfather was a contractor. He'd follow the strikes around and build the towns (all over the West). Half Indian, he'd hire any willing local Indians to do the work. Where trees were scarce he put up concrete buildings, reinforced with anything at hand, often old bedsprings, etc. (so I was told). I don't think my grandmother enjoyed the lifestyle much, she had nine kids along the way under what must have been very trying circumstances, but it kept him busy for decades. As far as I know, none of his towns lasted.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 6:27 PM

a couple posts

...and as great as photos like that Fountain Grill are, I'd love to see what it looked like in color.
(Like that amazing miniature golf venue at La Cienega and Wilshire previously covered on NLA.)

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Richfield Tower and vicinity night, things are bright.

http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/single.../27686/rec/179

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 7:09 PM

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
Richfield Tower and vicinity night, things are bright.

http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/single.../27686/rec/179
Taken from the Engstrom, I presume, between '28 & '34?

I got a kick out of the block bounded by Fig & Flower, 5th & 6th. Diagonally anchored by the Richfield & Architects buildings, it had everything anyone could think of in between.

(One can just see the corner of the old Bunker Hill Steps retaining wall, right of center, lower margin)

Last edited by tovangar2; Mar 8, 2015 at 9:04 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 7:22 PM

gsj a question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsjansen View Post
This image of Mabel Haufe has answered one of my long nagging questions with regards to the rear carriage house for the Hildreth!

The image below was discussed on this here thread some 4 1/2 years ago, and while it was discussed and assumed to be the carriage house for the hildreth,(particularly as the retaining wall is of the same material as can be seen on the many photos of the hildreth at the corner of hope and and 4th), I could never get my mind around how it sat on the site with relation to the main house. Even though it made sense that it was part of the Hildreth property, i just couldn't come to grasp with how.............

LAPL

The image posted by HossC actually shows the carriage house at the bottom left hand corner of the photograph. Being that to date, no clear images taken from flower, or even Figueroa looking up at the back of the Hildreth has surfaced, (hence the ongoing discussion of the 4th street Stub.....), I just never realized until now, that the carriage house is situated on a North South axis, perpendicular to the Hildreth! The retaining wall wrapped around the property!

This image is actually of the end, (or start if you prefer), of the 4th street Stub!

This has now closed the book on something that has bothered me for some time!
How is this archived at LAPL? Under what title or description is it filed? FWIW, I also believe this is the Hildreth carriage house.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
Princess Theater (6107 S Main ?) This week: "Zinn's Musical Travesty Co." apparently was a traveling show. The term "travesty" as a stage play description was common at the time, 1910-1920, and included risqué subject matter, another way of saying "parental guidance advised." It also could encompass burlesque, as we know it today. The term "travesty" fell in to disfavor because it was probably too easy for critics to "misapply" travesty to the production rather than the subject matter of the production.

A better transfer

http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/single.../12297/rec/131

Hold on to your corsets. Very Progressive.

December '06 - Zinn's "traveling" Travesty Co., dancers. Headliner Frances Grey in center. Lyric Theater (Seattle) could some of them have appeared at LA's Princess?

http://digitalcollections.lib.washin...sayre/id/13468

Zinn's "traveling" Travesty Co., dancers in Kimono's. Circa 1907, Lyric Theater (Seattle)

http://digitalcollections.lib.washin...sayre/id/13792

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 8:14 PM

Quote:

This image of Mabel Haufe has answered one of my long nagging questions with regards to the rear carriage house for the Hildreth!

The image below was discussed on this here thread some 4 1/2 years ago, and while it was discussed and assumed to be the carriage house for the hildreth,(particularly as the retaining wall is of the same material as can be seen on the many photos of the hildreth at the corner of hope and and 4th), I could never get my mind around how it sat on the site with relation to the main house. Even though it made sense that it was part of the Hildreth property, i just couldn't come to grasp with how.............

LAPL

The image posted by HossC actually shows the carriage house at the bottom left hand corner of the photograph. Being that to date, no clear images taken from flower, or even Figueroa looking up at the back of the Hildreth has surfaced, (hence the ongoing discussion of the 4th street Stub.....), I just never realized until now, that the carriage house is situated on a North South axis, perpendicular to the Hildreth! The retaining wall wrapped around the property!

This image is actually of the end, (or start if you prefer), of the 4th street Stub!

This has now closed the book on something that has bothered me for some time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post

How is this archived at LAPL? Under what title or description is it filed? FWIW, I also believe this is the Hildreth carriage house.
In case gsjansen doesn't see this for a while, here are some of the details from LAPL:

Title: Victorian house/apartment
Photographer: Nadel, Leonard.
Filing Information: Housing Authority Collection
Date: 1951.
Summary: Backyard view of Victorian house/apartment on hillside in Bunker Hill.

I just used the filename, 00017248.jpg, as the keyword in the search box, and it popped straight up.

---------------

Godzilla, thank you for labeling your lighting pictures - it's much appreciated.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 9:58 PM

Wait. I'm still confused about this. Where was the Hildreth carriage house driveway? Is there a plat map or anything?

Quote:
This is the west retaining wall (below) with the camera looking north?
Quote:
That's the Stuart K Oliver house going up on the right? I guess there's room for a drive in between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kznyc2k View Post

Hildreth Mansion, 1950, Huntington Digital Library
I apologize if I'm being blind to the obvious. I need to spend more time on south Bunker Hill.

If this is now confirmed, some one needs to drop lapl a line:
Quote:
...here are some of the details from LAPL:

Title: Victorian house/apartment
Photographer: Nadel, Leonard.
Filing Information: Housing Authority Collection
Date: 1951.
Summary: Backyard view of Victorian house/apartment on hillside in Bunker Hill.

I just used the filename, 00017248.jpg, as the keyword in the search box, and it popped straight up.

Last edited by tovangar2; Mar 10, 2015 at 7:17 AM. Reason: B/c I was thinking about Philip K Dick I guess.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab Fifties Fan View Post
We were in Westwood this last weekend and I was studying this block of Westwood Blvd. area to see if I could find any remnants of the fantastic streamline modern design in these incredible photos. No such luck

Morgan Green Clothiers at 1045 Westwood Blvd. 1938

Ladies shops in the 1000 block 1938

Different angle of the ladies shops

all photos Dick Whittington Studios LAPL

~Jon Paul

Could this complex of businesses have been on the 1000 block of Gayley Ave.?

1938 - Westwood stores
http://catalog.library.ca.gov/exlibr...AC92PLKFVH.jpg

Westwood Stores
http://catalog.library.ca.gov/exlibr...4BNJD8CRYA.jpg

Al Cooper etc.
http://catalog.library.ca.gov/exlibr...FPP64GUCR1.jpg

Dyches
http://catalog.library.ca.gov/exlibr...FVVCMR46L1.jpg

http://catalog.library.ca.gov/exlibr...QNUQ6XNC9C.jpg

Dyches mirror
http://catalog.library.ca.gov/exlibr...QY16V89SF7.jpg

Al Cooper
http://catalog.library.ca.gov/exlibr...SYBTTA5R2G.jpg

Rightman Hats
http://catalog.library.ca.gov/exlibr...4F48TNET24.jpg

Al Cooper
http://catalog.library.ca.gov/exlibr...I1XXR9I5US.jpg

Knobby Knit Shop
http://catalog.library.ca.gov/exlibr...C7XSEDKLJ5.jpg

Knobby etc.
http://catalog.library.ca.gov/exlibr...4V7IYVA2CC.jpg

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 10:29 PM

OK, so it's another slide of a streetcar on South San Pedro. This one was taken near E 9th Street. Once again, the El Rey is visible at the back of the shot.

eBay

Here's an up-to-date shot from roughly the same location (the Googlemobile is slightly north because I wanted the old El Rey building to be visible).

GSV

On the right (east) side of the street, most of the "Drive In Liquor" sign survives, but it could do with a coat of paint.

GSV

The building on the corner of E 8th Street also survives.

GSV

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 10:29 PM

I'm a believer.

The Hildreth carraige house, 715 W. 4th Street, undated

The studio of Margrethe Mather at the 4th Street stub overlooking Flower Street. It seems as though the camera was near the entrance to the Castle Tower Apartments. Although unidentified in the LAPL archive I think this is an image of the Hildreth carriage house based on the appearance of the stonework which closely approximates the Hildreth retaining walls, a corner of a large house appears in the upper right corner of the image which is architecturally consistent with the Hildreth and the paint scheme is consistent with the Hopecrest restoration. To the left of the carriage house, I believe we can see the rear face of the Sawyer Apartments (327 S. Hope Street) with the distinctive fire escapes and also on that side we can see what would be the small rental cottages at 337-341 S. Hope Street. And lastly, the tree here at the barricade is consistent with the tree in my 1937 photograph of the 4th Street stub. I think this is it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos