HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butteredbiscuit View Post
I was going through this thread and thought this would be very interesting thread now since this was 9 years ago. MLB Commissioner Rob Manford said they would consider bringing in a few more teams in expansion. Now it looks like Tampa Bay Rays are going to be sharing half their season in Montreal. If Montreal comes with big attendance, it could be permanent. Portland is in the running for 4 other spots. Nashville, Charlotte, North Carolina, San Antonio and even Vancouver are mentioned. Do you think things have changed since 2011?

When I look at things when it comes to the stadium places, I am not sure if a baseball stadium can fit at the waterfront property by the Helipad. But I wonder if a NFL stadium like the Seahawks stadium could fit there. Someone could enlight me on this. Now I think it is not possible to put it at Jericho Park but how about these other places. 1) By the Train station in downtown or crossing Cambie Bridge going south. I like the look of the Miami Marlins Park here. I mean the outside of the building. The stadium would need to be max 40,000. You will need it for at least the Blue Jays when they come to town. Seattle cant even sell out their stadium unless the Dodgers and the Blue Jays come to town. But if we go to their stadium, we can sell it out! Especially if we had a good team.

If I was the owner, I would probably see if I could call the MLB team the Vancouver Canadians or Vancouver Mounties. What name would you call them?

Do you think that if a billionaire wanted to bring NFL and MLB to Vancouver, would Vancouver support both teams and leave the NBA ownership to the Canucks owner?

Yes, interesting going back to read the comments from over 8 years ago.

It doesn’t look like a waterfront stadium is an option for any sport, as the port doesn’t want it interfering with their operations. The spectacular scenery is an important element to the success of a hypothetical team, and I can’t think of another site big enough to build a stadium.

Still would like to see a top notch AAA stadium that’s expandable to MLB specs built, and go from there. Have to look outside downtown for that though. Maybe Central Park where the current baseball park is. While they are at it, build a new Whitecaps stadium at Swangard.

As for the NFL, BC Place would be perfectly fine as either a temporary facility, or a permanent one.

The Lower Mainland is close to breaking through the 3 million population threshold (latest pop est.), so adding another major league team should be seriously considered.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 2:20 AM

My money's on Montreal and Vegas; the Knights' debut got a pretty high turnout. We'd all love a second team, but the three million mark is 8-20 years away, and we don't even host regular season games yet!

Quote:
When I look at things when it comes to the stadium places, I am not sure if a baseball stadium can fit at the waterfront property by the Helipad. But I wonder if a NFL stadium like the Seahawks stadium could fit there. Someone could enlight me on this. Now I think it is not possible to put it at Jericho Park but how about these other places. 1) By the Train station in downtown or crossing Cambie Bridge going south. I like the look of the Miami Marlins Park here. I mean the outside of the building. The stadium would need to be max 40,000. You will need it for at least the Blue Jays when they come to town. Seattle cant even sell out their stadium unless the Dodgers and the Blue Jays come to town. But if we go to their stadium, we can sell it out! Especially if we had a good team.

If I was the owner, I would probably see if I could call the MLB team the Vancouver Canadians or Vancouver Mounties. What name would you call them?

Do you think that if a billionaire wanted to bring NFL and MLB to Vancouver, would Vancouver support both teams and leave the NBA ownership to the Canucks owner?
If the Waterfront location can't fit a baseball field, it definitely won't fit a football field. QE, Central Park or the PNE, maybe?

"Canadians" is already taken by the Minor League team. 'Sides, the leagues seem to prefer animals and other mascot/logo-friendly themes - something like Ghost Bears or Admirals.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 11:11 PM

Not that this means anything at all (it doesn't) but officials from MLB's Arizona Diamondbacks were up here this past week looking at the possibility of the dome playing host to a few games.

This is the second time in 2 years they have been up here.

Not that anything is actually going to happen, but it's still interesting.

"The Arizona Diamondbacks sent officials to Vancouver twice in the past two years to check out possibly playing there as an emergency home"

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...ns/4884688002/

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post
Not that this means anything at all (it doesn't) but officials from MLB's Arizona Diamondbacks were up here this past week looking at the possibility of the dome playing host to a few games.

This is the second time in 2 years they have been up here.

Not that anything is actually going to happen, but it's still interesting.

"The Arizona Diamondbacks sent officials to Vancouver twice in the past two years to check out possibly playing there as an emergency home"

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...ns/4884688002/
What a weird idea. Emergency home? Not like arizona is at risk of a natural disaster.

Sounds like they talked their bosses into a free trip to Vancouver. Maybe they like skiing.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 11:32 PM
BANNED

Why don't we demolish the DTES and put them there. You'd probably do it to cheers all around and if you do it quick the professional protesters won't be able to move in time from their current protests.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 7:35 PM

Diamondback explain their visit to Vancouver.

In the interview, Diamondback CEO Derrick Hall confirmed the report that his team looked into playing at B.C. Place Stadium in Vancouver..

The visit was to find a contingency plan for the Diamondbacks to play somewhere in case the roof at their current ballpark got stuck in the open position. (seriously, that was the reason)

The article came complete with an outdated picture of BC Place

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...ns/4893429002/

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 7:46 PM

I guess MLB has Vancouver as one of their six backup stadiums for games.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post
The visit was to find a contingency plan for the Diamondbacks to play somewhere in case the roof at their current ballpark got stuck in the open position. (seriously, that was the reason)
... I'm assuming there's a good reason why they can't play with an open roof?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
... I'm assuming there's a good reason why they can't play with an open roof?
In the summer it's probably unbearable in the direct sun.

Quote:
With summer temperatures well over 110 degrees, Major League Baseball insisted on a stadium that could shield the players and fans from the intense heat.

On game days where the outside temperature is below 100 and the sun setting the game will typically be played with the roof open. In case of day games and temperatures over the century mark the roof will remain closed and air conditioning is used to cool off the playing surface and seating areas.
https://www.nowhitting.com/index.php...014&Itemid=187

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Yes, interesting going back to read the comments from over 8 years ago.

It doesn’t look like a waterfront stadium is an option for any sport, as the port doesn’t want it interfering with their operations. The spectacular scenery is an important element to the success of a hypothetical team, and I can’t think of another site big enough to build a stadium.

Still would like to see a top notch AAA stadium that’s expandable to MLB specs built, and go from there. Have to look outside downtown for that though. Maybe Central Park where the current baseball park is. While they are at it, build a new Whitecaps stadium at Swangard.

As for the NFL, BC Place would be perfectly fine as either a temporary facility, or a permanent one.

The Lower Mainland is close to breaking through the 3 million population threshold (latest pop est.), so adding another major league team should be seriously considered.
I used to like the Mariners in the 90s when they had Ken Griffey Jr, Jay Buhner, Edgar Martinez, Tino Martinez, Alex Rodriguez after that. Now here is what I don't like about the Mariners is that when they get close to be really good, they trade their good players for a bunch of rookies. I remember when the CEO Howard Lincoln was asked on July 31st 2001 by a Seattle reporter why they didnt trade for Roger Clemens of the Jays for Jose Cruz Jr and he said the Mariners "werent interested in winning the world series, they were only interested in being competitive." So for me, I would be a Vancouver fan if a team became available.

I have been trying to figure out about a new stadium but it might take a long time to get it built. So the only place would be B.C Place. Why couldn't you just remodel BC Place? Would be cheaper than to build a new one. Put a new roof on it to please people who would want baseball outside. I just love the Marlins Park. The outside design looks awesome! Very futuristic.

lso if you could name a team, Why couldn't we just buy the name of the Canadians from the Bluejays? If you couldn't, what name would be good?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2020, 6:36 AM

Quote:
I used to like the Mariners in the 90s when they had Ken Griffey Jr, Jay Buhner, Edgar Martinez, Tino Martinez, Alex Rodriguez after that. Now here is what I don't like about the Mariners is that when they get close to be really good, they trade their good players for a bunch of rookies. I remember when the CEO Howard Lincoln was asked on July 31st 2001 by a Seattle reporter why they didnt trade for Roger Clemens of the Jays for Jose Cruz Jr and he said the Mariners "werent interested in winning the world series, they were only interested in being competitive." So for me, I would be a Vancouver fan if a team became available.

I have been trying to figure out about a new stadium but it might take a long time to get it built. So the only place would be B.C Place. Why couldn't you just remodel BC Place? Would be cheaper than to build a new one. Put a new roof on it to please people who would want baseball outside. I just love the Marlins Park. The outside design looks awesome! Very futuristic.

lso if you could name a team, Why couldn't we just buy the name of the Canadians from the Bluejays? If you couldn't, what name would be good?
It hasn't even been 9 years since it was completely renovated for $500 mil+. For them to renovate it again to support a MLB team it would cost close to the same amount. At that point its just not worth it.

The only place in Vancouver that has enough space to hold an MLB stadium would be the Hastings Racecourse. It wouldn't be the best area since there is no skytrain near by and nothing to do before or after the game. The only place I think would be reasonable would be close to scott road station in surrey. Maybe one of the industrial sites.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 5:54 AM

[QUOTE=wrenegade;4959633]

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nites View Post
It hasn't even been 9 years since it was completely renovated for $500 mil+. For them to renovate it again to support a MLB team it would cost close to the same amount. At that point its just not worth it.

The only place in Vancouver that has enough space to hold an MLB stadium would be the Hastings Racecourse. It wouldn't be the best area since there is no skytrain near by and nothing to do before or after the game. The only place I think would be reasonable would be close to scott road station in surrey. Maybe one of the industrial sites.

Thank you for you info. I appreciate it!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Thank you for you info. I appreciate it!
I feel you on T-Mobile Park. It's such a nice stadium especially in the summer when the sun starts coming down with the backdrop of downtown Seattle. It has both a classic and modern feel.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nites View Post
I feel you on T-Mobile Park. It's such a nice stadium especially in the summer when the sun starts coming down with the backdrop of downtown Seattle. It has both a classic and modern feel.
Yes I agree. I just have this dream that keeps coming to me over and over about a Oracle Park (used to be called ATT park) in San Francisco style park in Vancouver overlooking the Inlet and looks over the North Shore Mountains. I started to looking into it and man would that be beautiful especially in the summer. One person mentioned a place to put it would be where the Whitecaps wanted to have their stadium. But when I google mapped it, I don't see how it could be done unless they built it over into the ocean or they cemented it and built it out over the railway. But it would be a job for CAAicon to figure out. But I was curious to see how that would work. Then I read this article from 2006 and how they had it built.

https://www.6717000.com/blog/2006/04...me-opposition/

But I do understand about Hastings Park and you would still have a wonderful view and MLB team here. Just when I watched Justin Timberlake say he was supporting a team in Nashville, I was like why couldn't we have a team?

https://www.si.com/mlb/indians/news/...-bring-in-team

Why should we have to have the Mariners (who are not a very good club) near us to watch when we could have our own team? I see Denver Colorado and they have all the major sports NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB, MLS and they have a smaller market than us. I know mayor Robertson supported it
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cit...ospecting/amp/

It maybe a dream but l wonder if we really had the fan support for that and even corporate support for that with a lot of people moving here from different places? But I just like to learn more. But Safeco is a beautiful Park, have been there before and will go back when the Blue Jay's play there again.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 10:52 PM

It doesn't take a genius to see why Colorado has that many pro sports teams and it's also the only reason this MLB fantasy will ever fly. Some billionaire with a lot of money. Yeah why would we drive down to watch a mediocre team when we can drive over to Hastings Park to see one lol.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 5:15 AM

One spot I'm not sure has been talked about is Langara Golf course. It's right next to a transit stop, and there's plenty of land. There could be a split of the golf course where 75% is made into a new park, 15% into social housing around the edges and the rest into a new stadium. It seems like if it was built to the same size as T-Mobile Park it would be about the same size as Langara College.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 4:51 AM
Mile High Guy

Quote:
Yes I agree. I just have this dream that keeps coming to me over and over about a Oracle Park (used to be called ATT park) in San Francisco style park in Vancouver overlooking the Inlet and looks over the North Shore Mountains. I started to looking into it and man would that be beautiful especially in the summer. One person mentioned a place to put it would be where the Whitecaps wanted to have their stadium. But when I google mapped it, I don't see how it could be done unless they built it over into the ocean or they cemented it and built it out over the railway. But it would be a job for CAAicon to figure out. But I was curious to see how that would work. Then I read this article from 2006 and how they had it built.

https://www.6717000.com/blog/2006/04...me-opposition/

But I do understand about Hastings Park and you would still have a wonderful view and MLB team here. Just when I watched Justin Timberlake say he was supporting a team in Nashville, I was like why couldn't we have a team?

https://www.si.com/mlb/indians/news/...-bring-in-team

Why should we have to have the Mariners (who are not a very good club) near us to watch when we could have our own team? I see Denver Colorado and they have all the major sports NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB, MLS and they have a smaller market than us. I know mayor Robertson supported it
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cit...ospecting/amp/

It maybe a dream but l wonder if we really had the fan support for that and even corporate support for that with a lot of people moving here from different places? But I just like to learn more. But Safeco is a beautiful Park, have been there before and will go back when the Blue Jay's play there again.
The Denver market is not smaller than Vancouver's. The Denver metro population is almost 3 million (not even including Boulder), and the nearby front range outer cities/burbs that include the TV and sports market comes to over 4 million. Additionally, many of the Colorado and Denver pro sports bring folks/fans from more than 700-800 miles away; since Denver is the most isolated major city in the United States.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 8:08 PM

The US sports market is always a little inflated given that the leagues are based in the US and primarily serve the US consumption. Denver is definitely saturated for its size with all Big 4 teams and an MLS team though, I don't think any other city has that level of exposure per population.

Also the Denver MSA is (like all US MSAs) huge geographically, covering an area 8 times the size of Metro Vancouver's with only about 500,000 more people. If we take the entire Lower Mainland as an analogous area to the Denver MSA, we come up with similar populations for both cities - close to 3 million. I believe the actual eyeballs/attendees would be similar in both cities, but we just have the Canucks and an MLS team as opposed to their five teams. Can't really count the CFL as remotely comparable to any Big 4 team. I do think Vancouver can successfully support an additional major league team here.

With that said on a per capita basis though I think Montreal and San Diego have it much worse.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2020, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlt View Post
The US sports market is always a little inflated given that the leagues are based in the US and primarily serve the US consumption. Denver is definitely saturated for its size with all Big 4 teams and an MLS team though, I don't think any other city has that level of exposure per population.

Also the Denver MSA is (like all US MSAs) huge geographically, covering an area 8 times the size of Metro Vancouver's with only about 500,000 more people. If we take the entire Lower Mainland as an analogous area to the Denver MSA, we come up with similar populations for both cities - close to 3 million. I believe the actual eyeballs/attendees would be similar in both cities, but we just have the Canucks and an MLS team as opposed to their five teams. Can't really count the CFL as remotely comparable to any Big 4 team. I do think Vancouver can successfully support an additional major league team here.

With that said on a per capita basis though I think Montreal and San Diego have it much worse.
I feel like LA is for San Diego what Seattle is for Vancouver but more accessible since they don't have to go through the hassle of the border and currency exchange. The distances for travel are about the same. LA has 2 of each major sports team so would it really even make sense putting 4 major sports teams 2 hours away? Especially if a lot of the population in the city is probably already big fans of the Lakers/Chargers/Rams etc.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation