HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 1:06 AM

One from today

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 2:06 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Again another new development and the overhead wiring obstructs it....

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 2:32 PM

Saw it for the first time with the new cladding on the weekend. Gotta say there are a lot of metallic/reflective elements going on there that don't really show out in photos.

I actually kinda like it. Definitely stands out from anything around it.

Disclaimer: your tastes may differ...

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Saw it for the first time with the new cladding on the weekend. Gotta say there are a lot of metallic/reflective elements going on there that don't really show out in photos.

I actually kinda like it. Definitely stands out from anything around it.

Disclaimer: your tastes may differ...
Too many materials for a fairly flat box - they feel somewhat arbitrary, in my opinion. At least they tried some new stuff though, and I appreciate that much.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 2:22 AM

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 11:21 AM

Still not finished. The 5 Moes must be tired of working on this by now.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff View Post
Not much has changed here. One from today.

This time last year. took them over a year to do a few months of work

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 4:56 PM

Building is still not complete however there are people living there and public art has been installed along Roberts;

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 5:24 PM

Public art or the place to go to choose which tile you want in your suite? I don't think I'd be happy if I bought here and moved in already. I bet this won't be complete until summer.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 11:40 PM

It seems we had the same idea today.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 12:30 AM

Nice to see that the Five Moes are proceeding at their usual breakneck speed on this one.

Is that public art or a bank of futuristic pay phones?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Nice to see that the Five Moes are proceeding at their usual breakneck speed on this one.

Is that public art or a bank of futuristic pay phones?
Yikes with the public art. Not my taste, but it's nice that it was thought of and the developer should be commended for including it (though, I guess it's the purchasers who pay for it).

I've heard that while the building is partially occupied, the units are without heat. They've been provided with space heaters and rebates intended to cover electrical costs until the geothermal in-floor is up an running, but no idea as to when it might be up and running. Ouch.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Yikes with the public art. Not my taste, but it's nice that it was thought of and the developer should be commended for including it (though, I guess it's the purchasers who pay for it).

I've heard that while the building is partially occupied, the units are without heat. They've been provided with space heaters and rebates intended to cover electrical costs until the geothermal in-floor is up an running, but no idea as to when it might be up and running. Ouch.
That's ridiculous. The developer is probably getting dangerously close to a class-action suit.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
That's ridiculous. The developer is probably getting dangerously close to a class-action suit.
There have been no sales at Q Lofts.
The building is assessed at $5,750,000 and the property was transferred to a different and related owner on June 23 2015 for $0.
The developer must have deep pockets.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
There have been no sales at Q Lofts.
The building is assessed at $5,750,000 and the property was transferred to a different and related owner on June 23 2015 for $0.
The developer must have deep pockets.
Where do you get all this sales data? I only ask because I know someone who bought a unit in this building at the pre-construction stage.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Where do you get all this sales data? I only ask because I know someone who bought a unit in this building at the pre-construction stage.
PVSC - they show all sales since June 2010 with date and sales price.
People agree to purchase a unit and the deal usually closes when the building is complete and has an occupancy permit. In addition, some buyers move in and close the deal some months later.
Not quite sure what is happening at Q but on viewpoint.ca the building is shown as 'APT' not 'CONDO' and it shows a sales price, go figure.
We need a journalist to ask questions. (or I'll do it myself)

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 3:29 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
PVSC - they show all sales since June 2010 with date and sales price.
People agree to purchase a unit and the deal usually closes when the building is complete and has an occupancy permit. In addition, some buyers move in and close the deal some months later.
Not quite sure what is happening at Q but on viewpoint.ca the building is shown as 'APT' not 'CONDO' and it shows a sales price, go figure.
We need a journalist to ask questions. (or I'll do it myself)

If what you have stated is correct, then according to the Nova Scotia condominium act it can't be registered as a condominium without an occupancy permit. I assume that sales can't be completed until it is registered as a condominium.

It seems like the only question is why they aren't moving faster to get it completed.

(source: http://novascotia.ca/just/Regulation...egs.htm#TOC2_5 )
Part E - Duties of Registrar of Condominiums

54 (1) A declaration and description shall not be accepted for registration unless in addition to complying with the requirements of Section 11 of the Act,

(a) the declaration appears to be executed by every owner of and every person having a registered encumbrance against the land and interests appurtenant to the land described in the description;

(b) the declaration is accompanied by such proof as to the execution by every such owner as is required by the Registry Act or the Land Registration Act, as applicable;
Clause 54(1)(b) amended: O.I.C. 2011-252, N.S. Reg. 230/2011.

(ba) proof of valid occupancy permits for all residential units or, in the case of phased-development property, proof of valid occupancy permits for all residential units in the phase, is provided;
Clause 54(ba) added: O.I.C. 89-376, N.S. Reg. 45/89; replaced: O.I.C. 97-43, N.S. Reg. 6/97.

(c) a statutory declaration from a municipal development officer in accordance with Section 61 has been obtained; and
Clause 54(1)(c) amended: O.I.C. 2011-252, N.S. Reg. 230/2011.

(d) the description has been reviewed by the Registrar.
Section 54 renumbered subsection 54(1) and amended: O.I.C. 2000-57, N.S. Reg. 21/2000; amended: O.I.C. 2011-252, N.S. Reg. 230/2011.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 1:04 PM

Q Lofts registration as a condominium is 'Pending' and numbered 370, see page 4
http://www.novascotia.ca/sns/pdf/ans...rporations.pdf

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Q Lofts registration as a condominium is 'Pending' and numbered 370, see page 4
http://www.novascotia.ca/sns/pdf/ans...rporations.pdf
You can't register the condo until 51% of units are sold. At that point it is registered and a condo board formed. Until that time, all owners rent their units from the developer - so they pay rent instead of their mortgage, and this can go on for a long time if sales are slow.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planarchy View Post
You can't register the condo until 51% of units are sold. At that point it is registered and a condo board formed. Until that time, all owners rent their units from the developer - so they pay rent instead of their mortgage, and this can go on for a long time if sales are slow.
I've heard closing dates for those already in the building (currently as renters) are sometime in the spring. I walked past the other day and it really doesn't seem like much has been done from the outside... balconies are still missing and aside from the public art and some grass poking though a protective cover, it looks very much still under construction with debris everywhere and clearly unfinished first floor patios. I pressed my nose to the glass at the entry (was weird to descend steps to the entry... psychologically, I'd expect to go up...) and saw that interior corridors appear to be in the caution-tape and exposed unsealed (dusty) concrete level of finish.

I'm sure the story is that they are working on the interiors of units, but I would expect that the trades working on the inside should be different from those completing the exterior, no?

This is in my neighbourhood and it is taking a long time to complete. I hope that the residents will add to what feels to me to be good growth along Agricola. Harris East appears to be moving at a RELATIVELY quick pace, though I could certainly stand for it to go faster as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth