HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I disagree/ I think the tall barbed wire fences really look bad. The best solution would be to build a very attractive stone wall with decorative wrought iron at the top. It would cost a bundle, but it is a mint afterall
Or even landscape it.

I completely agree that it's in an extremely unfortunate state but as mentioned above, hopefully, it'll get tucked behind a 60ft structure sooner than later.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 8:47 PM

Will somebody PLEASE tell the American Repertory Theater to paint their outpost some other color than bright red?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
And why isn't some other city in the Bay area, with a BART stop or 2, taking advantage of this, telling developers to come here or there and making it 5X easier to build something there, high rise, mid rise or whatever?

I once did a massage on someone who was opening up a store in downtown SF and I was aghast what he all had to go through just to open a store there! Lots of palm greasing, maddening red tape. So I can only imagine what a housing developer goes through!
One and only one seems to: Emeryville. There is info on projects there here. The rest are as thoroughly in the hands of NIMBYs as is SF.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 8:53 PM

Quote:
I disagree/ I think the tall barbed wire fences really look bad. The best solution would be to build a very attractive stone wall with decorative wrought iron at the top. It would cost a bundle, but it is a mint afterall
Declare a national emergency (it's federal territory after all) and build a big, beautiful wall. Oh. SF's politicians say walls don't work and are immoral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMucho View Post
Or even landscape it.
I completely agree that it's in an extremely unfortunate state but as mentioned above, hopefully, it'll get tucked behind a 60ft structure sooner than later.
Very unlikely. There's no buildable lot in front of it. Even the little cable car yard is probably off-limits.

Besides, I like the building itself. If Mexico would pay for it, a decorative wall would look better than the chain link though.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Declare a national emergency (it's federal territory after all) and build a big, beautiful wall. Oh. SF's politicians say walls don't work and are immoral.

Very unlikely. There's no buildable lot in front of it. Even the little cable car yard is probably off-limits.

Besides, I like the building itself. If Mexico would pay for it, a decorative wall would look better than the chain link though.
Um... The entire block that currently houses a Safeway and a huge flat lot parking would be happy to host a 6 story structure. It's not only feasible but fairly likely it'll happen at some point. ref:http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...ket_stree.html

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Um... The entire block that currently houses a Safeway and a huge flat lot parking would be happy to host a 6 story structure. It's not only feasible but fairly likely it'll happen at some point. ref:http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...ket_stree.html
That was the Planning Department's idea, not Safeway's. Safeway has shown again and again that they have no interest in developing their properties.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 11:28 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:

Uh huh. Its the Muni Metro yard btw not for cable cars. You're from SF?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Sure--if they tear down the existing Safeway. I was talking about no demo of existing structures. But I doubt Upper Market is going to see anything tall enough to hide the Mint in either of our lifetimes even if they do replace Safeway.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Uh huh. Its the Muni Metro yard btw not for cable cars. You're from SF?
That yard in front of the Mint (next to the recycling location which I think has been closed) is where they have stored old cable cars undergoing or needing rehab for 30 years. The N-Judah/J-Church tunnel is below it. You're from SF?

Google Streetview

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 11:52 PM

Moving on from fantasy to reality:

Quote:
Virgin opens its first San Francisco hotel
By Brock Keeling@BrockKeeling Feb 19, 2019, 11:18am PST

. . . Virgin has at last opened its first San Francisco hotel today.

Located across from Yerba Buena Gardens and Moscone Center on Fourth Street in SoMa, the new property, a mid-rise with a predominantly glass facaded, features 192 guest rooms, two penthouse suites, and dining and drinking options like Commons Club and Funny Library Coffee Shop.

Of special note, the hotel comes with a rooftop bar called Everdene, as well as a VIP lounge, christened the Secret Garden Lounge, which is accessible via a red garden gate crowned with foliage from the surrounding lattice . . . .

https://sf.curbed.com/2019/2/19/1823...el-sf-location

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 6:29 AM

The Mint is fucking awesome in all its fortressness. Leave it alone!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 2:58 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
That yard in front of the Mint (next to the recycling location which I think has been closed) is where they have stored old cable cars undergoing or needing rehab for 30 years. The N-Judah/J-Church tunnel is below it. You're from SF?

Google Streetview
Actually the yard is called the David Pharr Restoration Facility and has never been used to store or rehab CABLE CARS. It has been used to store ex-Muni & MSRwy electric streetcars. No, I'm not from SF, which makes the fact that you don't seem to know the difference between a cable car and a trolley kind of embarrassing.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 3:00 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_climber13 View Post
The Mint is fucking awesome in all its fortressness. Leave it alone!
Jeezus people, I;m just asking for a nice wrought iron fence instead of the current max security prison look right in the middle of the city.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Actually the yard is called the David Pharr Restoration Facility and has never been used to store or rehab CABLE CARS. It has been used to store ex-Muni & MSRwy electric streetcars. No, I'm not from SF, which makes the fact that you don't seem to know the difference between a cable car and a trolley kind of embarrassing.
I've seen what appeared from the street to be cable cars there and I've passed it regularly for almost 40 years without the slightest embarrassment*. They could have been very old open streetcars resembling cable cars--I didn't inspect closely. Have you ever actually been there? Anyway, why be such a jerk, especially when you are talking about somebody else's city (mine).

As for your fence, I'm with those who kind of like the fortress look (variety of buildings is what makes a real city interesting) and whatever type of old vehicles are often there, I doubt Muni wants to give it up to a developer so we'll likely have the great view of the Mint/Fortress for a very long time. I love it when I'm riding down Market St on a streetcare and some tourist goes, "What's THAT?"

*I grew up in Washington DC and never visited the White House or the Capitol building until I was a senior in high school when my friends and I decided it was something we SHOULD do before we all left town for colleges across the nation. Locals often just live with things and don't obsess over them.

Last edited by Pedestrian; Feb 20, 2019 at 5:06 PM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 5:02 PM

Once again, an effort to return to reality:

Quote:
Exclusive: Developer proposes 25-story hotel in Transbay
By Fiona Kelliher – Real estate reporter, San Francisco Business Times
Feb 19, 2019, 7:45pm EST

A San Diego-based hospitality company wants to build an unusual 25-story hotel in San Francisco's Transbay District.

J Street Hospitality submitted a preliminary proposal for a 185-room hotel at 36 Tehama St., a skinny parcel of land near Howard and First Streets. Because the site is so small — just 4,000 square feet, according to the San Francisco Planning Department — the potential hotel would rise to 25 stories tall, designed with no guest rooms on the first four floors . . . .

The vacant lot is sandwiched between coding bootcamp Galvanize on one side and a parking garage on the other. The project would require a change of use from parking to hotel, and would be topped off with a rooftop bar . . . .

This isn't J Street's first San Francisco property. The company revamped the former Powell Hotel into the Axiom Hotel at 28 Cyril Magnin St. in Union Square and plans to build out a 77-room AC by Marriott hotel at 425 Mason St. alongside Stanton Architecture. J Street has not yet identified a hotel brand for 36 Tehama.

Handel Architects designed the project. If entitlements go well, J Street plans to break ground in about two to three years.

J Street's portfolio otherwise includes a number of hotels in San Diego and Paso Robles, many Marriott-branded. A representative did not immediately reply to a request for comment.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...395&j=86781061

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 5:27 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Once again, an effort to return to reality:
Quote:
Moving on from fantasy to reality
Quote:
It's exactly this type of loaded predicated language that makes you come across as rude, not me. You also clearly broadcast that you are a reactionary conservative.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 5:59 PM

A rendering of the new Transbay hotel proposal--now I can give it a thread:

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...-revealed.html

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 6:40 PM
你的媽媽

Nice! Love those Manhattan style slender towers. This is on a much smaller scale though of course.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Nice! Love those Manhattan style slender towers. This is on a much smaller scale though of course.
Yeah, if this and other proposed towers get built, we'll have a nice grouping of slender towers around here.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 3:05 PM

Like everyone, I look forward to the pix from Timbad's walkabouts. The magic lens you used on your Moscone pix make even the Marriott look kinda good (first time in its 30 years of existence I could say THAT!) A request, Timbad: if you think about it, kindly return to Natoma Alley after the dust settles and get some pix of the finished product. Alleys and obscure, little projects fascinate me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations