HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 5:42 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The HMV wasn't actually that large. It's big for a storefront space but much smaller than, say, a typical department store. It was actually reduced in size a while back when City Centre Atlantic was renovated. I don't think it's prohibitively large, but that block could use more renovations.

It is hard to imagine anything but a positive long-term trend for SGR given all the construction happening there, but it's actually pretty common for periods of construction to be kind of hard on retail. The payoff only really comes once the disruptions stop and the new customers arrive.

Apple was considering a location on Spring Garden Road (supposedly in/near the Bank of Montreal/Planet Pool building) but they went with HSC instead. I can't help but wonder if their decision might have been different had the streetscape improvements and library been in place by then. Those delays came at a cost for the downtown.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 11:17 AM

2 of the 3 front spaces in Park Lane are also empty and have been for a few months.
Anybody know what is happening at the back where the construction is?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 1:13 PM

Goodlife Fitness in Park Lane is doubling its size, taking over space on both the basement level and the main floor.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 1:30 PM

Not sure if anyone has posted about this yet, but there is something in the works for 5677 Harris St. in Halifax. It is another wood frame Condo building being designed by MNA for the same developer that built Theater Lofts. Looks to be 56 units. 4 floors + loft on top floor.
Here is a link to the site on googlemaps: https://maps.google.com/?ll=44.65342...26.74,,0,12.28

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 3:57 PM
Salty Town

There is supposed to be an announcement today about the RBC redevelopment. 22 fl

Hopefully the Merrill Lynch building won't be destroyed?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
There is supposed to be an announcement today about the RBC redevelopment. 22 fl

Hopefully the Merrill Lynch building won't be destroyed?
Yup, here are the pictures. Merrill Lynch building intact.

(all pictures from - http://bit.ly/1b9xDI3)

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 4:26 PM
BUILD!

That has got to be one of the worst looking proposals I've seen in awhile. Way too many things going on - and the Merrill Lynch building looks super out of place.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 4:26 PM

That's great that they've saved and worked around Merril Lynch (anything else would be unacceptable, especially considering how amazing the interior of the building is).

But the facade treatment of all the other (designated heritage) buildings is crap. No setback or anything. No way that should be allowed for the Champlain Building--take away the profile and you take away half the aesthetic value. An old wall stapled to a glass front--the most ridiculous facadism possible, and a direct contrast to the decent Sackville proposal. (This is basically what I'm afraid will happen to the Dennis Building. Take a brick wall and stick it in front of a sheer wall of glass and say you've "preserved" the building.)

Otherwise, the massing and everything else sucks. It's a super fugly design. Better than the proposal from years ago, but still way over-busy and weird looking, and not in a good way.

Last edited by Drybrain; Sep 24, 2013 at 4:39 PM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 4:35 PM

It's way too busy...the different treatments really isn't that great. Some consistency and simplicity can go a long way!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 4:42 PM

Something I'd like to see happen here in Halifax a bit more (given our nautical heritage and our ports) - use of containers for housing.

This was a great article about one done as social housing in Vancouver - the construction costs were way lower.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 5:58 PM

I really like it. I like the contrasts and yet it is tied together by various materials. I also like how the 2 towers are joined, looks like a hole in the building, reminds me of Miami. There is so much to the design to make it very different than any other building in town.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 8:08 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff View Post
Yup, here are the pictures. Merrill Lynch building intact.

(all pictures from - http://bit.ly/1b9xDI3)

Is there a thread set up for this yet?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 10:24 PM

I thought Brutalism went out of style in the 1970s?

Don't like it much.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 12:21 AM

I enter the back entrance to the Royal Bank (under where the pedway is shown) a couple of times a week, and I kind of like some aspects. The zig-zag windows, while unique, are not in harmony with the rest of the building. The overhang over the Merrill Lynch is interesting, but kind of out of place. The incorporating of the building on Duke and Granville looks more "holistic" than the little glass addition that sits on top of it now (I hate that part of it currently). Over all, not the best, but could be far worse.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Something I'd like to see happen here in Halifax a bit more (given our nautical heritage and our ports) - use of containers for housing.

This was a great article about one done as social housing in Vancouver - the construction costs were way lower.
very cool!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 1:45 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
God, you're probably right. It's just so inexplicably, inexcusably poor. (It does have competition nearby though. This one is even worse, IMO, if only because it's bigger and more looming.

If Drum ever happens, the few blocks around here will feature a trifecta of tacky crap. Forget run-down houses--these are the North End's biggest eyesores.
Here is a thread I started for HRM eyesores. It could have another 100 added. Sad how HRM planning can't solve this mystery of tacky, ugly, cheap, buildings ......

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=194387

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 5:41 PM

There is a back hoe digging on the site opposite the Queen St Sobeys, where the dry cleaners was years ago. Anybody know what is going there?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
lamentable shitheap

really, such an apt description

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
lamentable shitheap

really, such an apt description
Yet one of the units is selling for over a million $ on MLS. NO word of a joke - go look. I nearly fell off my chair because the view wouldn't be that great.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Yet one of the units is selling for over a million $ on MLS. NO word of a joke - go look. I nearly fell off my chair because the view wouldn't be that great.
Holy God, it's true.

Almost 3,000 square feet, but still. It must be the entire top floor. It looks tacky as hell inside as well.

Why on earth would a person who can afford a million-dollar home buy this? You could have your pick of beautiful peninsular houses. Baffling.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth