HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 2:21 PM

Thank you SFView. Annoying watermarks but had to be done that way. Glad you put in "oceanwide" in the shot. What could've been....sigh. Well done !

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 5:23 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFView View Post
Bumping to the next page. Thanks for putting this together!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 5:25 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how the floor plates of 50 Main compare to those of the skinny supertalls in NYC?

Looks like this one will be 100' x 127' up until floor 46, and then from floors 47-71 it'll be 100' x 100'. Not sure about floors 72-85.
I found the answer to this. 432 Park measures 93' x 93' x 1396', so this will actually be quite similar in floor plate dimension, but 330' shorter.

The skinniest tower in NYC is 111 West 57th at 60' x 80' x 1428', for a width:height ratio of 1:24.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 11:52 PM

^^It is my pleasure, thanks!

I estimate approximately a 1:8.4 width to height ratio for the current 1066 foot tall scheme. It appears that the 100 x 100 foot floor plates with the shorter 818 foot tall scheme no longer apply. Obviously this building must meet local structural building codes for seismic etc.

If everything is built as the new rendering portrays, I think the skyline will look okay regarding the building heights and massing.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 12:07 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFView View Post
^^It is my pleasure, thanks!

I estimate approximately a 1:8.4 width to height ratio for the current 1066 foot tall scheme. It appears that the 100 x 100 foot floor plates with the shorter 818 foot tall scheme no longer apply. Obviously this building must meet local structural building codes for seismic etc.

If everything is built as the new rendering portrays, I think the skyline will look okay regarding the building heights and massing.
Right, and there are many vantage points to view the skyline, so I don't think that one view from Mission Dolores Park justifies height reduction just to optimize that one particular viewing angle.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 1:38 AM

Correct me if I’m wrong but in the steelblue rendering, isn’t the parcel f tower supposed to be placed behind 181 Fremont and not to the left of it? Both 181 Fremont and parcel f have entrances to the southern portion of salesforce park

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 2:04 AM

^That is the correct position for Parcel F in that camera point of view. I double checked all the geometry with the help of Google Earth 3D view and most everything matches almost perfectly.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2022, 12:42 AM

Source: https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...r-16702552.php
Quote:
...“I like a lot of what they’re proposing, and this site can take additional height if it’s designed well,” said Rich Hillis, the city’s planning director. “But we have to look at the larger context, and what they assume is the base” of what Hines is allowed in terms of extra density and height.

...Paradis (senior managing director in Hines’ San Francisco office) argues that the new landscapes more than compensate for winter shadows that the 50 Main tower would cast on public parks to the north during the winter. Because of a voter-approved ordinance dating to the 1980s, almost any new shadows on public spaces are forbidden unless approved by the city’s Recreation and Park Commission.

“We will create some shadows, but I don’t see that as an insurmountable issue. We’re also creating many multiples of sunny park space,” Paradis said. And while it would be privately owned, “you would just walk right in off the sidewalk.
Let's hope this sort of support works well enough in the project's favor.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2022, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Bumping to the next page. Thanks for putting this together!
Anyone know what that giant powerline tower looking thing is all the way in the background on top of the hill? I always see it and wonder what it is

Old Posted Jan 2, 2022, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdurk View Post
Anyone know what that giant powerline tower looking thing is all the way in the background on top of the hill? I always see it and wonder what it is
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutro_Tower

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Challenges for That 1,066-Foot-Tall Tower as Proposed
January 10, 2022

As we first outlined this past November:

Engineered by Planning and adopted back in 2012, San Francisco’s Transit Center District Plan (TCDP) was designed to limit the number of tall buildings that would rise above the city’s downtown core, with building heights stepping down from the Salesforce/Transbay Transit Center Tower to establish a rolling skyline when viewed from afar.

As part of the TCDP, the height limit for the PG&E block bounded by Mission, Main, Beale and Market was set at 400 feet. And as noted by Planning in their preliminary review of the plans for an 818-foot-tall tower to rise at 50 Main Street, which was just completed, the tower as proposed “may conflict with City policies related to a balanced skyline as seen from key public viewpoints within the city and region.”

By invoking California’s Density Bonus Law for the height as proposed, however, the aforementioned “conflict” is likely to be rendered moot (in terms of the project being approved). But Planning is still recommending that Hines reevaluate the overall program and massing of the proposed development and present “alternatives with a lower overall height.”

In addition, it appears as though Hines will need to seek a Zoning Map amendment and/or Special Use District (SUD) for the tower as proposed, as well as for the proposed crown to top the redevelopment of the Pacific Gas and Electric tower at 77 Beale Street next door, which could be a bit more problematic. We’ll keep you posted and plugged-in.

And yes, Hines then increased the proposed height for the 50 Main Street tower to 1,066 feet in December, as rendered below, with a flurry of activity in the press and reports that Hines had suddenly “found that the bonus intended to stimulate affordable housing construction [would allow] even more extra height than they initially thought.”

So here’s the scoop. The “found” height for the 1,066-foot-tall tower is based on a proposed redefining of the “50 Main Street” parcel to include the annex buildings in the middle of the block, buildings which were built as additions to the historic Market and Beale Street complex, which is likely to be the first big challenge for the project as proposed.

If Hines is successful in redefining the “50 Main Street” parcel to include the midblock buildings, which would be razed, the site would then have the square footage to allow for the mass of the taller 1,066-foot-tall tower as proposed. But there’s another potential challenge as well.

While California’s Density Bonus Law allows for the development buildings above zoned heights and other restrictions, the additional height is conditioned upon the additional height being less expensive to build than a horizontal addition on the site. And while a parking garage for the new 50 Main Street tower would extend underground across the newly proposed “50 Main Street” parcel, and the “found” height for the proposed tower is based upon how the mid-block portion of the parcel as proposed could theoretically support an additional 100,000 square feet of residential development, the mid-block portion of the new parcel wouldn’t be developed above ground, save for open space for the “high-performance live-work-play campus.”
https://socketsite.com/archives/2022...-proposed.html

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 10:50 PM
DENNAB

Shocking...

This tower would look good in the ~950 range, that way it wouldn't create a plateau with Salesforce

I'd also say higher than Salesforce but that probably won't happen

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 8:57 PM

I skipped passed some of the engineering issues of the following article's focus. Basically the engineers are doing their best to cover all potential issues regarding structural safety and wind. See "Source" to read the entire story.

Earthquakes, sinking and wind: Here’s what it takes to build a skyscraper in S.F.
1,000-foot ‘supertall’ tower proposed for downtown

By Benjamin Schneider • January 25, 2022 11:30 am - Updated January 26, 2022 1:42 pm

Source: https://www.sfexaminer.com/findings/...-tower-in-s-f/
Quote:

A scale model of a new high-rise development at 50 Main Street, in black, with the surrounding downtown skyline. (Courtesy of CPP)

...Per San Francisco policy, 50 Main’s engineering plans will be peer reviewed by a team that includes geotechnical, structural and seismic and ground motion engineers. The Department of Building Inspection (DBI) solicits outside reviewers and screens them for conflict of interest, DBI spokesperson Patrick Hannan wrote in an email to The Examiner. Reviewers are contracted by The City, but ultimately compensated by the project developer.

Before beginning construction, high-rise projects must also receive shoring and excavation permits that double check the project’s plan to prevent damage to surrounding buildings.

Aside from being an epic engineering challenge, the development at 50 Main represents a major bet on downtown San Francisco, at a time when economic conditions are highly uncertain.

“Our confidence in San Francisco is as high as it’s ever been,” said Paul Paradis, senior managing director of Hines’ San Francisco office. “Many of the fundamental, attractive aspects of San Francisco have not changed: the transit, the access to recreation, the cultural resources in The City, the great companies that are located here.”

Paradis also cites Hines’ 400-unit apartment building at 33 Tehama as a strong indicator of demand for downtown San Francisco living, even post-pandemic. The building’s occupancy rate plummeted to the low 70s in the depths of the pandemic, but has now returned to full occupancy, Paradis says. Meanwhile, Hines is planning to break ground in the first half of this year on San Francisco’s fourth-tallest tower, an 800-foot hotel and condo complex next to the Salesforce Transit Center.

While the parcel at 50 Main is zoned for 400 feet in height, the project was able to reach its proposed height of more than 1,000 feet using the state density bonus, a law that allows for increased height in exchange for affordable housing. The program has become increasingly popular in San Francisco, where the local inclusionary zoning rules — the percentage of affordable units required in each project — automatically qualifies many developments for the state density bonus.

The Foster + Partners-designed tower — the firm behind Apple’s donut-shaped HQ in Cupertino and Oceanwide Center — is slated to include 808 apartments. Of those units, 164, or 20.5%, will be offered at below-market rates, with the majority reserved for households making less than 50% of the area median income. The project would also include the renovation of two century-old buildings facing Market Street, and a squat 1970s tower facing Mission. In the middle of the block, Hines is planning a 1.25 acre park.

The Planning Department has yet to officially weigh in on the project’s application. For his part, Paradis said Hines wants to “move ahead quickly,” beginning construction as early as 2023, and wrapping up by 2027. Regarding the proposed height, he said, “This is very much the building that we want to build. So it’s definitely not a negotiating tactic.”

As the project moves through The City’s approval process, engineering and design work is chugging along. “It’s great fun, for sure,” Klemencic said. “That said, it’s intertwined with this very serious layer of responsibility and commitment to public safety. And to make sure we get it right.”
Here is a closer look at the current study model of 50 Main:

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 8:55 AM

Hmmm...I kind of like the model...

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 2:30 PM

Like the model too, very 555 California but skinnier and taller of course. Very aggresive timeline for start of construction. This developer seems determined to make it happen. Hope the planning commision approves at least the height. Overall design needs some fine tuning. Optimistic it WILL happen.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCitySFO View Post
Like the model too, very 555 California but skinnier and taller of course. Very aggresive timeline for start of construction. This developer seems determined to make it happen. Hope the planning commision approves at least the height. Overall design needs some fine tuning. Optimistic it WILL happen.
"This developer" being Hines, they have the money and clout to make it happen but, as always, the SF Planning bureaucracy could be their match. Still, they are no Chinese outfit operating on a shoestring and subject to politics.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2022, 12:06 AM

Hmmmm, correct me if I'm wrong, but... If Planning doesn't approve the height, that may have a serious impact on Hine's aggressive schedule. Furthermore, if there's any chance Hines might pick up on where Oceanwide left off on 50 First Street, then they might want to keep Hines happy.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 1:11 PM

Pedestrian and SFView, you both have valid points. I guess we just wait and see what happens at the planning commission initial meeting. Thank you both for keeping us up to date on the project.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 8:45 PM

^Thanks.

More thoughts, and they're just thoughts: California’s Density Bonus Law as a Law should have precedence over all current local codes, zoning, ordinances and jurisdictions unless it conflicts with health and safety. As long as all criteria is meet within the Bonus Law, any claims within the new limits of this Law should be defensible in Court. Planning still has the right to make recommendations to reduce height less than the Law permits, but following them is optional. Let me know if this isn't true, especially since I'm not with Planning, but having such a law doesn't make sense to me to have otherwise. I'm also guessing that if Hines didn't feel confident that 1066 feet tall is possible, they probably wouldn't be so serious and aggressive about pursuing it.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 6:12 PM
你的媽媽

Some updated renderings highlighting the bulginess of 200 Mission St and showing some new interesting design details of 50 Main St.

Quote:
New Imagery For Hines’ Atlas Block Campus And $105M Refurbishment Of 77 Beale Street

BY: ANDREW NELSON 5:30 AM ON FEBRUARY 23, 2022

Building permits have been filed for the estimated $105 million reskinning and renovation of 77 Beale Street, to be renamed 200 Mission Street, in Hines’ headline-grabbing plan for the Atlas Block Campus in SoMa, San Francisco. Along with building permits, planning documents reveal new imagery and programming details for the mixed-use project. The Atlas Block includes the dynamic Foster + Partners-designed facade for 50 Main Street, the potential second tallest building for the Bay Area.

Overview
Hines’ plan reimagines PG&E’s former San Francisco headquarters as a mixed-use city block with a new residential supertall, offices, and a web of public open space connecting to the street. Construction is estimated to cost $372 million, while the total development cost will be much higher.

The overall proposal will finish with 1.6 million square feet of office space, nearly a million square feet of residential floor area, 200,000 square feet of parking for 683 cars, 37,400 square feet of commercial retail, and 54,000 square feet of public open space. Additional parking will be included for 1,333 bicycles.

The tower at 50 Main Street is expected to rise 1,066 feet tall, creating 808 new homes, of which an estimated 161 units will be affordable. The apartments will vary in size, with initial plans for 225 studios, 379 one-bedroom units, 200 two-bedrooms, and four three-bedroom units to serve as the project’s crown jewel penthouses.

For the public, the most important aspect of the Atlas Block will be the foundation of public open space. Across the whole 3.5-acre property, 1.25 acres will become publicly accessible green space. PWP Landscape Architecture will be responsible for its design, aiming to bring together nature and urban life.

200 Mission Street
According to the new permits, work will include “replacement of facade, elevators, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, & fire protection(sprinkler system), seismic structural upgrades, [and ground] plane redesign.”

As previously covered, Pickard Chilton will be the project architect responsible for reskinning the historic office building, designed by the 1960s by Hertzka and Knowles. The new design will bulge out from the original envelop with curtain-wall glass, adding nearly 25,000 square feet of new office space. The 34-story building will include over a million square feet of office space and is to be renamed 200 Mission Street.

Hines will also be seeking LEED Platinum certification. 200 Mission will include new MEP systems, modern glass technology, and facade-integrated solar panels, all to reduce energy consumption and increase natural light for office workers.

50 Main Street
New illustrations and elevations for 50 Main Street also provide insight into the facade, with fluted V-shaped bay windows creating a dynamic curtainwall. This contradicts the expectations of a box-like tower that preliminary renderings suggested. Illustrations show a transparent high-ceiling octagonal atrium at the street level, punctuated by two imposing pillars on each face. Notably, there are no columns on the corner, visualizing a dramatic engineering feature hoped to be achieved by the project team.

https://sfyimby.com/2022/02/new-imag...le-street.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals