HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jun 27, 2021, 12:23 AM

SAN FRANCISCO | 841 Polk St. | 137 FT | 13 FL

Quote:
Rendering Revealed For 841 Polk Street, San Francisco
BY: ANDREW NELSON 5:30 AM ON JUNE 25, 2021

. . . located at the corner of Polk and Olive Street, would create new retail space and housing with affordable units. RG Architecture is managing the building design.

A total of sixty apartments will be created, all of which will be studio-sized. According to the preliminary project assessment application, the developer has not decided if units will be sold as rentals or for ownership.

The proposed building would rise 137 feet high to yield 43,150 square feet, of which 1,710 square feet will be usable open space, and 1,000 square feet for ground-level retail. Parking will be included for sixty bicycles.

. . . The contemporary building will rise to the area’s height limit, overshadowed by several larger buildings in the area. The southern facade is wrapped with curtainwall and randomized decorative louvers, likely clearly hiding HVAC systems. The rest of the building will be clad with solid white panels.

An estimated timeline for construction has not yet been announced.

[Lot as it is now]
https://sfyimby.com/2021/06/renderin...francisco.html

I am really pleased by the possibility of this building. I do a lot of shopping on Polk--my nearest "corner" markets and veggie stands--and this short stretch is about its sleaziest because there isn't current much on this block except auto repair so the homeless tend to congregate. Love to see middle class folks move in.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2021, 7:49 AM

I love how skinny this is; narrower parcels make more diverse and vibrant streetscapes. I just wonder how it will pencil out; I have a hard time seeing it get built.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2021, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Googie Redesign For 841 Polk Street, San Francisco
BY: ANDREW NELSON 5:30 AM ON DECEMBER 24, 2021

New renderings have been published with a Googie-inspired design by a new architect for 841 Polk Street in San Francisco. The proposal will create 40 new group housing bedrooms near Van Ness Avenue by Polk Gulch and the Tenderloin. Ankrom Moisan Architects is responsible for the design.

According to the project application, “the purpose of the project is to provide the maximum number of high-quality individual group housing bedrooms to contribute to San Francisco’s housing stock.”

The 128-foot tall structure will yield 46,110 square feet with 38,920 square feet for residential use and 900 square feet for ground-level retail. The average bedroom size will span 648 square feet—40 bedrooms with 80 beds. The structure will rise from a 2,925 square foot parcel. The project will include a 1,790-square foot roof deck.

The ground floor includes a lobby, mailroom, trash, and storage for 20 bicycles along with retail. The underground basement floor will consist of tenant storage, laundry, and mechanical rooms. The second level will create an amenities room beside the manager’s unit.

The design for 841 Polk Street exemplifies the futurist architectural style that proliferated during the post-war car culture craze.

Ankrom Moisan Architects was established in 1983 as a small firm and has since expanded to have offices in Portland, Seattle, and San Francisco. With experience in several different sectors, the firm describes its approach to housing design “as urban placemaking, with environmentally and culturally relevant solutions that meet residents’ needs for comfort, security, versatility, and connectedness.”

CF Contracting is listed as responsible for the development as the property owner. This latest application shows a revision from CF Contracting’s initial plans for 60 apartments designed by RG Architecture . . . .

Construction is expected to cost $18.4 million, with an estimated timeline for completion not yet established.

https://sfyimby.com/2021/12/googie-r...francisco.html

The orange canopy does kind of give it that "Howard Johnson's" look but the question then is why they would want to do that?

https://www.florida-backroads-travel...-johnsons.html

Old Posted Dec 24, 2021, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
The orange canopy does kind of give it that "Howard Johnson's" look but the question then is why they would want to do that?

https://www.florida-backroads-travel...-johnsons.html
There are a number of mid-century motor lodge-style motels in the area (The Alexis, The Phoenix, among others), so even though all or at least most of them should be torn down and replaced with denser buildings, at least this design element is a nod to them.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2021, 8:54 PM
Show me the blueprints

I always thought if i was a billionaire it would cool to buy the Howard Johnson name and actually make it a popular thing again. Not necessarily the motel part, just the restaurant. Its a shame it lost its appeal over the years when they didnt change with the times. If done right that midcentury nostalgic appeal could be a huge draw.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals