HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 2:07 AM

Thanks for the photos.

That Sutton Place crane will become a problem for Wawanesa. Unless they will raise it as necessary because it looks like they're using it. But the Wawanesa building will at some point be tall enough to impact the boom on the crane. Probably be another year or so before it becomes an issue.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 7:52 PM

Great day for work!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 9:50 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

wow how can they afford to waste playwood like that $$$

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 10:00 PM

^Probably previously purchased. I hear two good side birch is going for over $300.00. Nuts! Tariffs are gone so all the wood is going south.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 4:17 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
^Probably previously purchased. I hear two good side birch is going for over $300.00. Nuts! Tariffs are gone so all the wood is going south.
Mmm resale used plywood.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 1:29 PM

Does anyone know if the work currently taking place on the Sutton site is related to the Sutton project or to the Wawanesa project?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 2:01 PM

Seems like it's for Wawanesa. They even have an orange fence inside the site at the edge of the plywood. Limiting people only to the plywood area.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 6:52 PM
keep the good times going

Snapped a picture on my walk today. It still amazes me to see that entire side of the block + RWB under construction.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
Snapped a picture on my walk today. It still amazes me to see that entire side of the block + RWB under construction.
The only other block-long multi-building downtown construction projects like that I can really think of in recent Winnipeg history would be Winnipeg Square in the late 70s, Portage Place in the mid 80s and Fort Garry Place in the late 80s. So this is definitely up there in terms of size and scale.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 11:06 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The only other block-long multi-building downtown construction projects like that I can really think of in recent Winnipeg history would be Winnipeg Square in the late 70s, Portage Place in the mid 80s and Fort Garry Place in the late 80s. So this is definitely up there in terms of size and scale.
Lakewood Square was a big project. Holiday Inn (now Delta) plus Holiday Towers and I believe an office building.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 5:34 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
There's the projects Andy6 cited and Colony Square as well as MTS Center if you want to count those.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 1:53 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the cranes just sitting like that at suttons gotta be epxenive to not be doing anything no?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 2:26 PM

Yup.

I'm not exactly sure who owns that construction company. Top Hotel Builders, I think they're called. Seems like it might be owned by Galiardi and this is their one off project.

If they own the cranes themselves, then not so bad I guess. If they're paying rental on it, would be numerous 100k by now.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 3:03 PM
What could go wrong?

Top Hotel Builders is a company under the same ownership group as Sutton Place Hotels. They generally build all the Sutton Place and Sandman Hotels.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Lakewood Square was a big project. Holiday Inn (now Delta) plus Holiday Towers and I believe an office building.
You mean "Lakeview Square"....yes. Done by Lakeview developments.
Delta (Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza 18 floor hotel, 155 Carlton - 19 floor office tower, Holiday Tower North 25 floors residential & Holiday Towers South 27 floors.. 175/185 Carlton 6 floors. Then a bit later Lakeview built 175 Hargrave @ 7 floors.
Also, 330 St Mary @ 13 floors came of it due to all that development. Lakeview and The Convention centre helped build up that part of downtown.
Prior to that there was not much inbetweener Broadway & Portage.

I believe "LOMBARD PLACE".... was the first multi complex in modern Winnipeg. Featuring the 34 floor Richardson Tower, 20 floor Winnipeg Inn now Fairmont & 8 floor Bank of Canada @ 161 Portage Ave east...

Last edited by BAKGUY; Apr 27, 2021 at 9:24 PM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 5:59 PM

this project has me always wondering what the plan is for their old HQ down the line.. could be a good lot for someone to really make a splash.. which leads me to also wonder about the former CRA block-long concrete hulk still sitting there empty. these two lots done right could be so transformative for broadway.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 6:07 PM

Broadway could use some nice new residential. Considering how much has gone up downtown over the last 10 years, I still find it a little surprising that we haven't seen any significant new residential builds on Broadway itself, or even substantial renovations of beautiful old buildings like the Princeton.

Turning Wawanesa into housing, if that's what they end up doing, could be a good step for the area.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 3:41 PM

You jinxed it 1ajs haha

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Broadway could use some nice new residential. Considering how much has gone up downtown over the last 10 years, I still find it a little surprising that we haven't seen any significant new residential builds on Broadway itself, or even substantial renovations of beautiful old buildings like the Princeton.

Turning Wawanesa into housing, if that's what they end up doing, could be a good step for the area.
I think about this sometimes. I think the perception is that Broadway is less "hood" than closer to Portage and has more of a neighbourhood feel, especially with a quiet Assinaboine Ave just a block away. Definitely could support several major projects; residential or otherwise IMO.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Yup.

I'm not exactly sure who owns that construction company. Top Hotel Builders, I think they're called. Seems like it might be owned by Galiardi and this is their one off project.

If they own the cranes themselves, then not so bad I guess. If they're paying rental on it, would be numerous 100k by now.
Correct. Northland Properties has its own construction division, but it is not called Top Hotel Builders.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan