HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 5:59 PM
you know where I'll be

^ For sure, but don't rain all over our parade (remember, we're watching this one go away forever!)......

Now we just need to (and I realize it isn't as egregious obviously as this 1 story standalone with surface parking in the Loop!!) get that Walgreens building demo'd in the 300 block of N Michigan and get a nice mixed-use high-rise infill project going there.....

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 6:04 PM

That one in River North on Clark needs to go first!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2015, 8:47 PM
you know where I'll be

Construction Financing?

Just wondering if (given that they had a delay of several weeks between getting demo permit issued/setting up site for demo work - and the actual commencement of visible demo of the old WAG shitshack last week) Buck has just landed its construction financing for 151........I don't know for sure, but it seems to me one plausible course of events.....

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 9:28 PM

Taken about 3:00 today.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 11:30 PM

^ Can't tell if this is an optical illusion or am I seeing this correctly... A skid steer with a jackhammer on the second floor busting out the concrete ceiling/floor? Seems a bit dodgy to me.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm&Kedzie View Post
^ Can't tell if this is an optical illusion or am I seeing this correctly... A skid steer with a jackhammer on the second floor busting out the concrete ceiling/floor? Seems a bit dodgy to me.
Almost. It's not a jackhammer, just a hunk of metal that it's violently swinging around. Seems rather dangerous to me too.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
Almost. It's not a jackhammer, just a hunk of metal that it's violently swinging around. Seems rather dangerous to me too.
I stood transfixed watching it for at least 10 minutes today. The whole roof shook quite dramatically as that thing knocked out the sections of the roof. There were construction workers quite close to it -- rather them than me.

I was most excited to see that they've finally torn down that food shack on the southeast corner of the lot. It always looked to me as if it would be better suited in a third world county than the center of downtown Chicago.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm&Kedzie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Mac View Post
I stood transfixed watching it for at least 10 minutes today. The whole roof shook quite dramatically as that thing knocked out the sections of the roof. There were construction workers quite close to it -- rather them than me.

I was most excited to see that they've finally torn down that food shack on the southeast corner of the lot. It always looked to me as if it would be better suited in a third world county than the center of downtown Chicago.
This is actually a common demolition method for small concrete structures. For example here is a timelapse of the 200 N Michigan demoliton

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 5:43 PM

Wrecking balls are hitting the old walgreens at franklin/Randolph hard

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
Wrecking balls are hitting the old walgreens at franklin/Randolph hard

A photo, taken around noon today. Making good progress.

I also noticed today that there is now a hole in the roof of the building directly north of the east side of the Walgreens lot (the dark gray roof in the picture above). There wasn't a hole yesterday. What project is that? I get confused.

Last edited by James_Mac; Nov 11, 2015 at 6:18 PM. Reason: better photo

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 3:15 AM

That's the existing garage at 215 W. Lake St., site of the proposed 30+ story rental tower designed by Thomas Roszak. This will be a busy block with all the demo and, especially, if both projects start construction in the same time frame.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 4:30 AM

I saw heavy equipment up on the 215 lake garage the other day and thought it was awful quick. Hopefully they are moving ahead. It would a pleasant consolation prize for 151 and 215 to be going up simultaneously once the confluence trio is concluding.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
This is actually a common demolition method for small concrete structures. For example here is a timelapse of the 200 N Michigan demoliton
Thanks for sharing the video!

When I originally saw the picture me think of...

... but I guess those concrete floors are plenty strong to support the machinery ripping them apart.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 2:14 PM

I said this before but there is a very good chance that they are close to signing a 400,000SF tenant. It is a company that is already located in CBD

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 2:27 PM
you know where I'll be

^ So this tenant is now leaning toward 151 over 130? Interesting....

I have no inside knowledge as to the tenant in question....

Would you say if it is a law firm or not?

If it's a law firm, my guess would be Sidley....

If it's not a law firm.....hmmmm.....may have a guess or two there as well....

At any rate, great to hear of large prospective lease activity at our next office towers to break ground....I've also heard in the last month or two that there's increasing interest among tenants in new construction in general, and in particular I've heard 130 Franklin mentioned as garnering a harder look from tenants that are out there shopping around for a move l3-4 years from now.....

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
^ So this tenant is now leaning toward 151 over 130? Interesting....

I have no inside knowledge as to the tenant in question....

Would you say if it is a law firm or not?

If it's a law firm, my guess would be Sidley....

If it's not a law firm.....hmmmm.....may have a guess or two there as well....

At any rate, great to hear of large prospective lease activity at our next office towers to break ground....I've also heard in the last month or two that there's increasing interest among tenants in new construction in general, and in particular I've heard 130 Franklin mentioned as garnering a harder look from tenants that are out there shopping around for a move l3-4 years from now.....
Correct they are deciding between staying put, 151 and 130 It is not a law firm. I heard a decision will be made soon.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 11:18 PM
THAT Guy

It doesn't seem like there are rounded corners, so at this point I would just expect a nice looking filler office building that might lead to more and bigger work for Ronan down the road.

I'm not sure where the 568' came from or if it's more recent, but I did go back to the old zoning application and it shows 36 floors and an even 600' height to the top.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 11:36 PM
Making Chicago Memorable.

This is a very boring design for such a well regarded architect. What a disappointment. I'd rather the land be vacant until someone proposes something else more promising.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 12:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpireGuy View Post
This is a very boring design for such a well regarded architect. What a disappointment. I'd rather the land be vacant until someone proposes something else more promising.
Oh please. complaining about a 600 ft infill building in a site that is not situated nor needed for something grand.

Most cities would drop to their knees if they could get just one of these. I know we have a very high bar here but I can let a few of these pass and work.

I like its simplicity and form follow function, looks to me at least. But alas I think we do have a bit too much blue glass in the city and pipeline imho.

Not the worst thing in the world. This is a first world problem... I'm not crying over this one, trust me.

Last edited by bnk; Nov 13, 2015 at 2:52 AM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 2:55 AM

I want rounded edges!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive