HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown_Austin View Post
I like the waterfall. The rendering does have a brutalism-esque design. I really like the idea of stairsteps that dip into the water. The sound of the waterfall would mask the street noise from Cesar Chavez, and the movement would be a nice touch to an often still "lake".
I'm not sure I would include the "-esque". I get the same feeling from this design as I do from the typical concrete boxes of that school. It's feels like a fortress with a vertical mote - cold, imposing, remote . . .brutal.

My preference would be for something that engages people and activates the public both on the lake side and the 1st Street side. The Gensler concepts both feel alive to me - something that belongs downtown - drawing people in and creating a really special shared space on our waterfront.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 6:49 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

I prefer the more extravagant iconic look myself. I don't see why joggers would be annoyed by it. This should be a destination unto itself. Seaholm is already screwed up as mostly offices, lets not waste this space with showers and lockers...

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 4:56 PM

Most of them are pretty good (though I don't think having whitewater rapids is practical/feasible), the only one I dislike is the one with the "wetlands". Marshes/wetlands = smell and bugs. They have their place, they're even a fun place to visit sometimes, but I'm not going to be setting up a table next to them.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 5:43 PM

I think the waterfall/city water cooling concept should be incorporated into some of the more finished designs. The ideas are good, but it feels too basic and unfinished. Helping aerate the water and drown out city noise would be very nice and make a great backdrop for other features as well. Also liked the idea people mentioned about putting LEDs to light up the waterfall at night.

I believe the front of the area should be either used as a farmer's market or maybe for food trucks. That part of downtown when seaholm, the library, and greenwater is finished will be pretty busy. Also you have 1st street and rapidly vanishing parking lots for food trucks to setup. Austin has an amazing food truck culture and would hate to see it go away. Also the renting out the space to the food trucks would make some pretty good money I imagine. It would also mean you could just setup the top part of the intake as a outdoor cafe with great views of the surrounding area. It would also be far enough away from the waterfall that talking should be possible.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 6:58 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

If it was to have a farmer's market or cafes, where would the delivery trucks stop to unload? On the street? Would they need to widen the street in front like they do for bus pads?

I'd like a combo of the ideas. Use the Gensler glass box design with a boardwalk connected the the hike/bike trail, have indoor cafes/concessions, bike/kayak facilities, food trucks or kiosks out front, and decorate it with local art. Little bit of everything.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
If it was to have a farmer's market or cafes, where would the delivery trucks stop to unload? On the street? Would they need to widen the street in front like they do for bus pads?

I'd like a combo of the ideas. Use the Gensler glass box design with a boardwalk connected the the hike/bike trail, have indoor cafes/concessions, bike/kayak facilities, food trucks or kiosks out front, and decorate it with local art. Little bit of everything.
I agree. Do you know what they are doing with that huge green space in front of Seaholm. They show tents in many of the renders and it seems like a good place for a farmers market. I do agree the intake is probably too small, but food trucks could work.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Not necessarily. The waterfall plan showed a semi-circular drive between the front of the building and Cesar Chavez. It's shown on the plans as a transit stop and it was designed that way so a bus could pull off of Cesar Chavez, unload and reload, and then pull back onto Cesar Chavez without having to actually stop on Cesar Chavez and block traffic.

Think of an upside-down "U" where the endpoints of the "U" would be where you exited Cesar Chavez and re-entered Cesar Chavez. Any of the plans could incorporate the same kind of semi-circular driveway snd I don't know why it couldn't be used for delivery trucks, too - especially if the deliveries were made early in the morning before the food trucks/market/cafe opened for business.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyYoda View Post
I agree. Do you know what they are doing with that huge green space in front of Seaholm. They show tents in many of the renders and it seems like a good place for a farmers market. I do agree the intake is probably too small, but food trucks could work.
I kind of think the green space rendering attempted to show how this area could be used by the public despite the conversion to office space behind it. I imagine a farmer's market would put some serious wear and tear on that patch of lawn which is why they should probably leave it as green space.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 2:35 AM

From earlier today:

Austin Parks and Recreation

Quote:
The top three submittals were selected by the Jury in recognition of their response to the project program, criteria, and sensitivity to the site context. These submittals succeeded in proposing improvements, to the site that enhanced but did not overpower the original building, landscape and surrounding new development.

103 “Link” - Gumbully

Brendan Wittstruck, Justin Beadle, Philip Burkhardt, Roberto Jaime Deseda, Heath Henderson, Julia Weese-Young

The Judges rated this submittal high for its architectural creative and innovative design solution. The Moses pier, underwater art, use of shell “as is” for art and art boating, just to name a few. The architectural interventions are minimal and demonstrates a sensitivity of the historic nature of the project site. The connection and response to the surrounding development was done with sensitive landscaping alteration. This design evokes many of Austin’s cove valves, including appreciation of art, music, and healthy lifestyle.
Page 1

Page 2

Quote:
111 “Lakehouse” - BOKA Powell + Design Workshop

Laura Bryant, Nathan Wilcox, Alex Ramirez, Sarah Simpson, Allison Moore Eric Van Hyfte, Kim Villavicencio, Philip Koske, Steven Moore, Tim Campbell, Mary Martinich, Conners Ladner, Jason Ferster, Magda Sayeg (local artist), Will Steakley (DEN)

The Judges liked this submittal for its overall inviting landscape and livability features such as connectivity to the Seaholm District and adjoining trails. This design is accessible to the public and meets many of the Imagine Austin goals and captures Austin’s cultural sensitivities. There are elements that allow for flexible uses such as the moving barge, creates usable space while being mindful of revenue generating potential.
Page 1

Page 2

Quote:
145 “Intake” - Gensler Team George

George Blume, Brittney Couch, Jesse Adler, Vineta Clegg, Chris Curson, Adrianna Hong, Gerardo Gandy, Stacy Reed

The Judges acknowledged this submittal for its Architectural sophistication, allowing the building to be creatively quiet. This design accentuates the beauty of the building and understands the flow of the water, articulated by the sweeping board walk. This design allows multiple uses and has something for everyone for instance; a market, music venue, new trail and swimming area. The design transitions the urban face of the project site with the lakefront effectively while being constructible and logical. The design addresses basic sustainability issues like day lighting and evaporative cooling.
Page 1

Page 2

Quote:
NEXT STEPS

A Request for Proposal (RFP) is being prepared by the City of Austin and will be released in the Fall/Winter 2013. RFP will include specific guidelines, designs, program, space allocation, time frames and specific criteria for award of proposal. The public is invited to provide additional comment by clicking on the SpeakUpAustin link.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 12:50 AM
Meh

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl....html?page=all
Quote:
Nov 6, 2013, 2:05pm CST
Developer weighs in on future of Seaholm Intake project

Robert Grattan
Staff Writer-
Austin Business Journal

The city of Austin is set to take on an ambitious redevelopment of the Seaholm Intake facility, and a few people think it could use a little help.

Councilman Chris Riley is spearheading a resolution that would solidify a partnership with development nonprofit the Urban Land Institute. The ULI would help the city to put together a Technical Assistance Panel, which would advise city staff at they put together a Request for Proposals to find a developer for the project.

Previously, the city conducted a design competition to explore what a revamped intake building could look like. You can see the finalists of that competition here.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 3:48 AM
Meh

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...3-20-year.html
Quote:
May 2, 2014, 4:33pm CDT
Seaholm intake facility proposes P3, 20-year license for developer

Robert Grattan
Staff Writer-
Austin Business Journal

Visions of the rebuilt Seaholm intake facility may have turned heads last year, but while the renderings were impressive, the architects' drawings didn't come with a way to make them a reality. Now, city officials are looking to a public-private partnership and a 20-year license agreement to help remake the waterfront building.

The Seaholm intake facility, an art deco structure built in the 1950s that sucked cool water into the power plant before it was retired in 1989, has become a sort of public-access focal point for the massive redevelopment efforts underway on the land owned by and formerly owned by the city in the southwest corner of downtown Austin.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 5:24 PM

Any updates on this one?

As a kayaker I would love to option to "dock and dine."

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Any updates on this one?

As a kayaker I would love to option to "dock and dine."
The RFQ to select a development partner should be released next week.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 2:00 AM

April 16, 2015

Some views from inside the intake Facility. Sorry for the poor quality.

View of the lake from the one and only missing window pane.

And just for the record wwmiv I did not trespass. The door was open and there was a business van in the driveway, and one of the guys working was outside, so I asked him if I could just stand in the doorway and take a couple of quick photos and he said I could go inside and walk around. So put down the phone, 'cause there's no need to call the police on my ass, OK?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 2:10 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I was about to ask if you had trespassed and then when I got to the bottom I saw you even anticipated my comments! Nice photographs and I'm glad you did it legally. Kudos.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 2:13 AM

Lol

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 2:15 AM

It's still not a crime to post pictures of private developments. I was thinking of wwmiv too.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 2:19 AM

This one is listed in part of the backup for the April 21 Parks and Recreation Board meeting, so maybe we will get a few more details then.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 2:29 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvATX View Post
It's still not a crime to post pictures of private developments. I was thinking of wwmiv too.
It is a crime to trespass though... (and since he got permission, there was no trespassing).

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
It is a crime to trespass though... (and since he got permission, there was no trespassing).
What if those he got permission from were not authorized to grant permission?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin