HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 4:03 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
I've been in the Carvana office buildings on that corner - and let me tell you - the planes are LOUD even inside that building with all the activity going on. People on Zoom conference calls can even hear them. I can't imagine living directly under this - it'd drive me nuts.
There are many, many apartment complexes already built at nearly identical distances or just a tad bit further under the Sky Harbor flight paths: Salado Springs, Skywater, Aubry, Banyon, Rio Paridiso, Rio Salada Villas, Mockingbird Palms...the list goes on. Not too mention a multitude of single family housing not even a quarter mile south of the proposed Arena site. These are all subject to the same noise levels as anything that will be built at the proposed arena. It's up to potential residents to determine if they want to deal with the noise. Not for Sky Harbor to determine it for them.

I have many years of personal experience with this. I used to live in an apartment 2500' away from Dayton International runway 36. I lived there for nearly 7 years. There's a whole residential suburb that borders Dayton international. I had no problem with the noise...not anyone who lived there cared about the noise. Not even during the occasional C-5 Galaxy landing/taking off. Let me tell you, those suckers are loud. Louder than anything I have ever heard out of Sky Harbor. I also lived near Cincinnati International for 4 years at about 1.2 miles from the runway. Didn't bother me or any of my neighbors there either.

Don't blow away billions of dollars of potential economic impact because someone "thinks" it's too much noise for residents too handle when it's not really an issue. There are many, many airports across the U.S. that have adjacent residential housing. Some people may not like it, but many aren't bothered by it...just as some aren't bothered by living near a train line...which I have also done. You get used to the noise.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
There are many, many apartment complexes already built at nearly identical distances or just a tad bit further under the Sky Harbor flight paths: Salado Springs, Skywater, Aubry, Banyon, Rio Paridiso, Rio Salada Villas, Mockingbird Palms...the list goes on. Not too mention a multitude of single family housing not even a quarter mile south of the proposed Arena site. These are all subject to the same noise levels as anything that will be built at the proposed arena. It's up to potential residents to determine if they want to deal with the noise. Not for Sky Harbor to determine it for them.

I have many years of personal experience with this. I used to live in an apartment 2500' away from Dayton International runway 36. I lived there for nearly 7 years. There's a whole residential suburb that borders Dayton international. I had no problem with the noise...not anyone who lived there cared about the noise. Not even during the occasional C-5 Galaxy landing/taking off. Let me tell you, those suckers are loud. Louder than anything I have ever heard out of Sky Harbor. I also lived near Cincinnati International for 4 years at about 1.2 miles from the runway. Didn't bother me or any of my neighbors there either.

Don't blow away billions of dollars of potential economic impact because someone "thinks" it's too much noise for residents too handle when it's not really an issue. There are many, many airports across the U.S. that have adjacent residential housing. Some people may not like it, but many aren't bothered by it...just as some aren't bothered by living near a train line...which I have also done. You get used to the noise.
Agree with all your points here. As long as prospective residents are making an informed decision, periodic noise isn't an issue. Noise levels aren't going to be louder to any significance than most of the rest of downtown Tempe and Tempe Town Lake, especially all of the residential along Rio Salado.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_daniel View Post
Agree with all your points here. As long as prospective residents are making an informed decision, periodic noise isn't an issue. Noise levels aren't going to be louder to any significance than most of the rest of downtown Tempe and Tempe Town Lake, especially all of the residential along Rio Salado.
Isn't there a residential component to The Grand at Papago Park which is almost literally on the opposite side of the riverbed/freeway from this site? I haven't heard Phoenix express any concern for future residents of that development. Also, as I mentioned before, the height issue is bogus as well since the office building (where the stadium would have gone) is 112' in height and directly under the flight path of the north runway. If it's not a problem for aircraft coming in on the northside, it shouldn't be a problem for aircraft coming on on the southside either. This is basically Phoenix not wanting Tempe to have all the "good stuff" IMO.

I also work for Carvana and have been in the HQ-1 building. Yes, it can be loud, but it was designed as an office building, not residential. If Tempe approves the arena proposal, I would imagine that the residential component would be constructed with sound mitigation materials and features so that it wouldn't be loud for someone living inside one of the apartments.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 3:53 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTempe View Post
Isn't there a residential component to The Grand at Papago Park which is almost literally on the opposite side of the riverbed/freeway from this site? I haven't heard Phoenix express any concern for future residents of that development. Also, as I mentioned before, the height issue is bogus as well since the office building (where the stadium would have gone) is 112' in height and directly under the flight path of the north runway. If it's not a problem for aircraft coming in on the northside, it shouldn't be a problem for aircraft coming on on the southside either. This is basically Phoenix not wanting Tempe to have all the "good stuff" IMO.

I also work for Carvana and have been in the HQ-1 building. Yes, it can be loud, but it was designed as an office building, not residential. If Tempe approves the arena proposal, I would imagine that the residential component would be constructed with sound mitigation materials and features so that it wouldn't be loud for someone living inside one of the apartments.
I drove by on the 202 yesterday and was thinking the same exact thing about Papago Grand's office building. I would bet on the Coyotes adding that buildings height to their list of arguments. Also, let's not forget that the 2 tower Tempe Depot development which will be about 245" to the top of the mechanical screening and only 3/4 of a mile further down the flight path than the the proposed arena. The height issue is being made up. How can you have a maximum height limit, but not allow developments to not even build to that height limit? Kind of defeats the point of it.

I get that Phoenix wants the Coyotes to come downtown. But that is highly unlikely to happen unless Phoenix offers up the South Convention Center or the empty lot on the NE corner of Indian School and Central (which is already owned by a developer). Aside from those locations, I don't know really where else the Coyotes could build centrally in Phoenix that would be ideal locations?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 4:14 PM

Quote:
I get that Phoenix wants the Coyotes to come downtown. But that is highly unlikely to happen unless Phoenix offers up the South Convention Center or the empty lot on the NE corner of Indian School and Central (which is already owned by a developer). Aside from those locations, I don't know really where else the Coyotes could build centrally in Phoenix that would be ideal locations?
That's the first I've heard or read about Phoenix wanting the Coyotes to come to downtown. If so, they should've pressured Sarver to accommodate a sheet of ice in the Footprint Center as part of the renovation and as a term to accept public monies for the reno. I think South Convention Center would be a great candidate but this will be at a glacial pace. They barely budgeted an item for this year to continue w/ the market study/analysis and public input phase that had been put on pause because of the pandemic.

But that ship has sailed I think. Coyotes really need to move on a new arena soon and I imagine want to spend the least time possible playing in ASU's MPA.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 4:53 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
That's the first I've heard or read about Phoenix wanting the Coyotes to come to downtown. If so, they should've pressured Sarver to accommodate a sheet of ice in the Footprint Center as part of the renovation and as a term to accept public monies for the reno. I think South Convention Center would be a great candidate but this will be at a glacial pace. They barely budgeted an item for this year to continue w/ the market study/analysis and public input phase that had been put on pause because of the pandemic.

But that ship has sailed I think. Coyotes really need to move on a new arena soon and I imagine want to spend the least time possible playing in ASU's MPA.
This is just an assumption by me as it was rumored/talked about a few years ago when the Coyotes and Glendale first started having their squabbles. The South building of the convention center was floated as a potential location, but nothing concrete ever came out of it.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 5:38 PM

That Central and Indian School lot has always seemed like the obvious location to put this if that big project is just a fantasy. Downtown already has events drawing in people. I think that activity could be great for midtown/uptown with Hockey. Would rather have more condos/apartments downtown.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 4:58 PM

Quote:
This is just an assumption by me as it was rumored/talked about a few years ago when the Coyotes and Glendale first started having their squabbles. The South building of the convention center was floated as a potential location, but nothing concrete ever came out of it.
I'd prefer everything to be downtown but I think the Coyotes do better in Tempe than downtown, given where their fan base lives.

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 5:28 AM

No news here, just a statement. Why does TNT and ESPN continue to insist on showing these 5 or even 10 year old scenes of Phoenix? How do they not some updated pictures showing scenes today. They should have a guy around town with a drone getting good footage. It’s so crazy to me with the Suns in the playoffs and even with the UFC fight tonight they continue to have all this old footage!

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 8:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
No news here, just a statement. Why does TNT and ESPN continue to insist on showing these 5 or even 10 year old scenes of Phoenix? How do they not some updated pictures showing scenes today. They should have a guy around town with a drone getting good footage. It’s so crazy to me with the Suns in the playoffs and even with the UFC fight tonight they continue to have all this old footage!
I mean I can’t even find a half decent drone video of downtown within the past 2 years on YouTube. You would think espn or tnt would be able to get some allowances that amateur drone pilots would have trouble getting.

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
I know it's annoying. We cannot even get PBJ or some of the local television stations to stop printing outdated photos of downtown.

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 5:38 AM

I'd be surprised if we don't get some new aerial footage for the playoff's. Must be new but I see the roof has been fitted with bright new lights that spell "FOOTPRINT CENTER". I think it looks nice. Sucks I'm not high enough to get a good pic.

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 7:40 AM

It really blows my mind in 2022 that this can’t happen. We had the finals last year, we should at least have some good footage from then but no they insist on 5 or 10 year old footage. It’s kind of crazy, Idk if anyone noticed, Bally sports had great drone footage from all the road games all year but the footage from Phoenix was always that same footage when the Sheraton had the heart on the building during the pandemic.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 5:03 PM

Sorry folks!

Report: Arizona Coyotes may not be able to put their logo at center ice at ASU's multipurpose arena The Coyotes signed a deal to play at least the next three years at ASU's new arena, but fans may not see the Coyotes' kachina logo at center ice.

https://www.12news.com/article/sport...a-0c775b5f7bc3

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Sorry folks!

Report: Arizona Coyotes may not be able to put their logo at center ice at ASU's multipurpose arena The Coyotes signed a deal to play at least the next three years at ASU's new arena, but fans may not see the Coyotes' kachina logo at center ice.

Im not sure why that would be surprising it was always intended to be temporary.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Sorry folks!

Actually, that's incorrect. Here is an article from today's Republic on AZCentral about the Coyotes logo being allowed on the ice:

Arizona Coyotes can paint logo on new ASU arena ice, school says

The Coyotes can never seem to get away from their many critics and naysayers, who had a field day Tuesday when a report was published saying they would not be allowed to modify the look of the ice surface at their soon-to-be home, including the Arizona State logo for the Sun Devil hockey team, on game broadcasts.

That clause in the venue license agreement between ASU and the school's multipurpose arena manager, OVG Facilities and Coyotes ownership reads "Licensee ((the Coyotes) shall be obligated to use reasonable efforts to include references to the Arena in all television or radio advertising for each Coyotes Home Game and Licensee shall not make or authorize any video or broadcast in which the arena name on the Ice is changed or obscured."

But that language was twisted on social media, including from other media outlets, to assert that the Coyotes would not be allowed to paint their logo on the ice for their games and only ASU's would be seen. On Wednesday, the school confirmed that is not the case, and both logos will be painted on the multipurpose arena's ice.

Per ASU, the Coyotes and ASU logos will be on center ice, but the Coyotes are prohibited from including any of their other normal in-ice branding as was seen at Gila River Arena, their former home. They are also prevented from digitally covering up the ASU logo on their broadcasts.

Full Article:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...er/9831407002/

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 4:11 PM

Tempe schedules first vote on Coyotes arena pitch

We have a date for City Council to vote on the proposed Coyote's arena and to start the negotiation process. Let's get this done!!

https://kjzz.org/content/1782889/tem...es-arena-pitch

Quote:
Most of the legal and financial analysis of the Arizona Coyotes’ pitch to build a new home in Tempe has been done in private.

But the Tempe City Council is scheduled to vote June 2 at a public meeting about whether to formally negotiate on the pro hockey club’s proposed development.

Tempe sought bids last year to build an entertainment district on roughly 50 acres near Priest Drive and Rio Salado Parkway which would be home to a sports franchise. The only proposal the city got was from the Coyotes. Nine months later, the Tempe City Council is set to vote on whether to start a months long negotiation process with the Coyotes or to kill the proposal. Voting to bargain would mean launching an effort to draft a legal document with financial terms, timelines and specifics about what would be built. And it would come with what city officials call a robust public input process.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 5:53 AM

https://www.12news.com/article/sport...br-SA4r2_K5s4c

Runways, apartments and businesses: The very complicated case behind the Coyotes' arena

Let the speculation begin! Hope they approved it. Let find out soon enough.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 6:48 PM

Quote:
https://www.12news.com/article/sport...br-SA4r2_K5s4c

Runways, apartments and businesses: The very complicated case behind the Coyotes' arena

Let the speculation begin! Hope they approved it. Let find out soon enough.
"High Rise" LOL. Good work by 12 News to do absolutely no research and simply accept the propaganda terminology of the Phoenix attorney.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
"High Rise" LOL. Good work by 12 News to do absolutely no research and simply accept the propaganda terminology of the Phoenix attorney.
did you expect any kind of actual journalistic depth from that Gannett rag???

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest