HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 4:31 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Anyway I emailed the lady back too. Bed time for me now.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 8:34 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
What does any of what you said have to do with them completely changing plans? Are you insinuating that the engineers behind the original proposal, which I believe was approved by the last government, are incompetent?

There's lots of places in the world that have much more challenging geology than B.C. and still manage to build freeways. When it comes to highway building B.C. along with Manitoba are do-nothing provinces. We all know that there are certain sections of the #1 in B.C. that involve challenging terrain but most of i ct is nothing special. B.C. needs to be held to account, not given more excuses to jeopardize the safety of drivers and our economy.
Nowhere did I address the Chase project, so calm down. I am allowed to discuss whatever aspect of the ongoing discourse I choose. No?

You are mistaken that a) lots of places have more challenging geology than BC: some do, but BC is up near the top. Just consult a general geology map, it is apparent without further detail. And b) "certain sections of the #1 in B.C. involve challenging terrain but most of it is nothing special" - the areas you think are nothing special are actually more special than you know; and more costly.

Regardless, I am as grumpy about our 2nd rate roads as you probably are. I am just tired of the misinformation/judgements made by a number of regular armchair experts who have no expertise. That's it.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 9:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
Nowhere did I address the Chase project, so calm down. I am allowed to discuss whatever aspect of the ongoing discourse I choose. No?

You are mistaken that a) lots of places have more challenging geology than BC: some do, but BC is up near the top. Just consult a general geology map, it is apparent without further detail. And b) "certain sections of the #1 in B.C. involve challenging terrain but most of it is nothing special" - the areas you think are nothing special are actually more special than you know; and more costly.

Regardless, I am as grumpy about our 2nd rate roads as you probably are. I am just tired of the misinformation/judgements made by a number of regular armchair experts who have no expertise. That's it.
I asked you a couple of questions. What makes you think I'm upset? Your post was driven by the posts on that project was it not?

As for misinformation, I have to disagree. We're not the ones who approved of this and other projects in B.C. Are you saying that the engineers who did present these plans as being the best solutions don't know what they're talking about? They're not the people we're questioning.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 1:12 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:

Are Alps easier to work with than Rockies??

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I'm pretty sure this means that they are twinning 28 km of pre-existing TCH (hence only one new roadway is necessary), and then building 10 km of entirely new four lane highway.....

The end result will still be 38 km of grade separated four lane freeway.
Exactly......a four lane divided freeway when complete from Sutherlands River to Antigonish

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 8:43 PM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
I asked you a couple of questions. What makes you think I'm upset? Your post was driven by the posts on that project was it not?

As for misinformation, I have to disagree. We're not the ones who approved of this and other projects in B.C. Are you saying that the engineers who did present these plans as being the best solutions don't know what they're talking about? They're not the people we're questioning.
"Calm down" does not involve "upset." I guess it is your tone: a bit aggressive for no reason, and the insinuation built into "what does that have to do with . . . " can only press the point that I was off topic.

As for your second paragraph, again, I did not address that project, and certainly made no comment about the quality of its engineering. Move on.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 8:49 PM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Are Alps easier to work with than Rockies??
The Alps and Rockies have a number of differences. In general, the Alps are steeper, the Valleys more compressed and the soil structures less complex. Purely relative to a comparison of the two, the Alps require more effort to manage steep slopes, while the mountain ranges of BC have more varied and overlaid terrain in the flatter regions. Also, in the Alps (and this is also partly due to existing settlement) it is harder to use valley floors to skirt very steep mountain sides. Thus, they tunnel - and luckily they have the density of population/economy to pay for it.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 9:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I guess it is your tone: a bit aggressive for no reason, and the insinuation built into "what does that have to do with . . . " can only press the point that I was off topic.
This is his natural personality; the 'angry, bitter, confrontational-without-reason, yelling at clouds and children' old man type. Generally, people who have no friends or family develope these types of personalities, becoming angry at the world for rejecting them and lashing out at anyone who they percieve as a threat to them and their existence.

I take great pity on these types as they lead very lonely and isolated lives.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeceZ View Post
This is his natural personality; the 'angry, bitter, confrontational-without-reason, yelling at clouds and children' old man type. Generally, people who have no friends or family develope these types of personalities, becoming angry at the world for rejecting them and lashing out at anyone who they percieve as a threat to them and their existence.

I take great pity on these types as they lead very lonely and isolated lives.
The rest of us were all talking about Topic X and then Marshal joined in. Why would I think that he's talking about something else? There was no "tone" in my post. I was simply asking a question. No need for him to get sensitive over it or for you to jump in and provide a psychological analysis of my personality.

Pro tip: You shouldn't assess people when you don't have the background to do so. Your generalizations are nothing but stereotypes and come across as being ignorant and mean-spirited. I can see why so many people are afraid to admit they might have mental health issues and to seek help for them. No one wants to risk getting attacked by insensitive jerks such as yourself. who take great pity on those who are not perfect. Recently someone said to me "we all need counseling." She's 100% right but not in this environment. I'll keep my imperfections to myself and deal with them alone. Yeah Reece, I'm not perfect but at least I know that which means I'm one step further ahead than you are.

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 2:56 AM
perhaps . . .

And as for me: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

[We could all get back on track now.]

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 3:16 AM
BANNED

Quote:
No one wants to risk getting attacked by insensitive jerks such as yourself.
That's rich, coming from you and your infamous agressive personal attack-mode style posting. I'm glad to hear you are getting the professional help you so desperately need. Kudos for taking that difficult first step mate.

And yeah, back on topic.

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeceZ View Post
That's rich, coming from you and your infamous agressive personal attack-mode style posting. I'm glad to hear you are getting the professional help you so desperately need. Kudos for taking that difficult first step mate.

And yeah, back on topic.
Are you trying to project your behaviors on to me?

How sad that you have to twist what I posted to take a shot at me. Being ethical is definitely not one of your strengths. Unlike me, you really do need to seek professional help. It's not healthy to be so upset all of the time when things don't go your way. Also sign up for some reading comprehension courses. Let me know if you need any help.

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 5:02 AM

Quote:
And as for me: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

[We could all get back on track now.]
Don't take this as an attack but it would help if you would be clearer in your posts. If you're not discussing what others are talking about say so. Also, don't make a point and not back it up. Thanks.

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 5:16 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
So, Todd Stone has recapped the project pretty well.

End up being the NDP did put it on hold after entering office, and now this is what we get:

https://cfjctoday.com/2020/05/02/cos...tion-minister/
Holy crap! It’s like the NDP is pleased with their utter stupidity. It makes me so angry I don’t even know what to say. Less twining (now a minuscule 3+kms) with no interchanges all for more money and 3 years late. What a bunch of idiots!

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 5:34 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Don't take this as an attack but it would help if you would be clearer in your posts. If you're not discussing what others are talking about say so. Also, don't make a point and not back it up. Thanks.
Show them what you're made of! Get a tractor, go to TCH & 100 Street NE, destroy the median, bring down the light and turn that intersection into a right-in-right-out. Then TCH has no stoplights until Strathmore. I'm sure that craner will be on board too.

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Show them what you're made of! Get a tractor, go to TCH & 100 Street NE, destroy the median, bring down the light and turn that intersection into a right-in-right-out. Then TCH has no stoplights until Strathmore. I'm sure that craner will be on board too.
Might have to. And since I've been rejected by society what do I have to lose?!

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 5:56 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Might have to. And since I've been rejected by society what do I have to lose?!
Lol, your comments in the Canadian section may be crap, but those in the Stoney Trail are on point.

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Lol, your comments in the Canadian section may be crap, but those in the Stoney Trail are on point.
I'm too much of an independent thinker for the Canada section.

I didn't realize that you're looking at the Stoney Trail posts. Are you impressed with how much they've done so far?

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 2:00 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I check that thread out from time to time and of course I am impressed.
Here’s the thing though: I find it super frustrating when, after bypassing all the built-up area, one encounters a stoplight right outside the town. Winnipeg’s like that, Portage La Prairie too and lots of places in the states as well. On the other hand, Yellowhead Highway was done right in that it’s interchange-protected east and west of Anthony Henday Drive.

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 7:10 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Haha - well I wouldn’t go so far as destroying the intersection but that one at 100th St. NE and the one at 68th St. on the west side of the 201 do drive up my blood pressure for sure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada