HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 4:08 PM

In your opinion what's Canada's most scenic province/provinces

In your opinion, what's Canada's most scenic or beautiful province/provinces?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 4:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

They all have their charms (in their own particular ways), even my own often overlooked province of New Brunswick.

But, nobody could argue against the natural beauty of BC or Alberta, especially coastal BC with the mountains framing the ocean vistas and fjords. Quebec is also stunning, especially the mountainous Bas St-Laurent. Newfoundland also has majestic vistas.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 4:15 PM
I am a typical

Nunavut

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 4:38 PM

BC, Rockies portion of Alberta, Newfoundland

Also areas north of Montreal (Mont-Tremblant)

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 5:45 PM
Volatile Pacivist

BC because it has both mountains (two different mountain ranges) and coastline. Most importantly, there's coastline and mountains combined in a single setting which is somewhat unique in the country (although there are some coastal highlands and fjords in on the Atlantic coast). The rest I would say are harder to judge since they're scenic in different ways which can be hard to compare.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 6:08 PM

Definitely Ontario. Who needs mountains when you have an escarpment.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Forget the Escarpment, give me gently rolling farm country.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 6:19 PM
Starring as himself

Nova Scotia has the greatest scenicity relative to size, but every province has enough to satisfy anyone.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 6:19 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Forget the Escarpment, give me gently rolling farm country.
Forget gently rolling farm country; give me the flat honest prairie.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 6:23 PM

Badlands, can’t forget the badlands!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Here's the thing with Ontario...underrated. Not that I think it is first or anything but take the Great Lakes for example, one of the most unique features on the planet. You tongue-in-cheek mention the escarpment but it, along with the Great Lakes, is why we have arguably the most well-known natural feature in Canada with Niagara Falls.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 6:51 PM

To me, no one province takes the cake, from the provinces I have been to... those being having spent significant amount of time in B.C., AB, Sask, ON, and only briefly in QC MB and NB. The ones I’ve spent significant amount time in all have their own beauty and natural wonders.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 7:10 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
I lived on the mountain in high school. The west mountain, near Stonechurch and Upper Paradise.

Yep, in Hamilton there are two levels of paradise. Since paradise is by definition the nicest place that can exist, and Hamilton is in Ontario, ergo ipso facto Ontario is the most scenic.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoe View Post
Here's the thing with Ontario...underrated. Not that I think it is first or anything but take the Great Lakes for example, one of the most unique features on the planet. You tongue-in-cheek mention the escarpment but it, along with the Great Lakes, is why we have arguably the most well-known natural feature in Canada with Niagara Falls.
Ontario has arguably the best beaches in Canada and an amazing coastline, it just happen to be inland. I agree that the Great Lakes tend to be overlooked.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
BC because it has both mountains (two different mountain ranges) and coastline. Most importantly, there's coastline and mountains combined in a single setting which is somewhat unique in the country (although there are some coastal highlands and fjords in on the Atlantic coast). The rest I would say are harder to judge since they're scenic in different ways which can be hard to compare.
Actually BC has 6 mountain ranges in the south. One of the 6, the Cascades, is just the northern tip so not the entire range.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 8:32 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
Ontario has arguably the best beaches in Canada and an amazing coastline, it just happen to be inland. I agree that the Great Lakes tend to be overlooked.
Having been to almost all the beaches in the lower mainland and most of the beaches in Southern Ontario, can confirm. The great lakes take the national cake for beaches. Grand Friggin Bend!

However, the beaches between Ucluelet and Tofino are seriously magical, it's just far too cold to swim in while also enjoying it.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 8:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
Being from PEI, and living in Moncton, not too far from Parlee Beach in Shediac, it pains me to agree with you, but the beaches along the Lake Huron shore are truly spectacular.

The one proviso I will offer is that the barrier dune islands along the north coast of PEI protecting Malpeque Bay are amazing. They are difficult to get to, and completely wild, but I went there once on a field trip at university and it was almost a religious experience.

Imagine a string of barrier islands stretching from horizon to horizon, with white sandy beaches, and the tallest dunes you'll ever see, seabirds flocking everywhere and not a human in sight............

It was an amazing day that I'll always remember.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 8:40 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

BC to me. Throw in enough of AB to get some prairie scenes and you could reasonably fake every other province in specific landscape shots, with a close enough crop.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 8:42 PM

Canada is a beautiful country. A few of my personal favourite spots:

-Ontario's Great Lakes: very underrated IMO. Beautiful beaches, shallow warm waters, great swimming, the power of Niagara Falls, summers of boating in the Muskoka's, rustic cottages, etc.

-Rocky Mountains: you can't go wrong here. Lake Louise, Banff, Whistler. The Rockies always leave me speechless. One of the nicest mountain ranges on the planet. Just driving from Whistler BC to Banff AB is an unreal drive. Everyone should do it at least once.

-The Alberta badlands (Drumheller)..... simply stunning. Like a page right out of the ancient dinosaur habitats. I really enjoyed my trip here, its hard to believe you're in Canada.

-Quebec's St Lawrence corridor especially around Quebec City. Great views....European architecture, steep cliffs, whales, waterfalls. I simply love this area.

-Nova Scotia Coastline.... something about the Cape Breton Highlands down to Halifax. Right on the ocean, the gentle hills, greenery, etc.

-The Red Sand Of PEI.....something about PEI always sticks with me....and the red sand has lots to do with it. There is a certain relaxing charm about this province and the beaches/no care in the world feeling you get.

Never been to the Territories but Im sure there's some gorgeous spots up there too.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 8:46 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
BC to me. Throw in enough of AB to get some prairie scenes and you could reasonably fake every other province in specific landscape shots, with a close enough crop.
BC around the south coast and south interior has the greatest variety of scenery in a comparatively small area and the most dramatic scenery near the cities.

It's very different scenery from the Great Lakes or even the coast of NS though. Both the Fundy coast and Atlantic coast have quite different geology and ecology from, say, Vancouver Island. So it feels like a bit of an apples-and-oranges comparison to me.

Province by province comparisons are also a little strange. PEI is about the size of a typical metropolitan area in Canada, while mainland NS is only a bit bigger than the Lower Mainland of BC. The central part of the Maritimes would fit snugly between Calgary and Edmonton. I used to think of Cape Breton as a far-off and inaccessible place but it's equivalent to a drive from Vancouver to Kelowna. BC is roughly 2x the size of all Atlantic provinces combined, including Labrador. It's about 5x the size of Atlantic Canada minus Labrador.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada